Hardware Adding Bluetooth Audio to the Switch

JacksonS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we all wish the Switch was naturally capable of Bluetooth audio transmission. If only Nintendo hadn't neglected it, then I wouldn't have to do this...

This is rather quick mod for using bluetooth headphones/speaker with the Switch. Of course you can always plug in a battery-powered dongle, but this mod is invisible once installed and you never have to mess with it later.
It is inspired by the New 3DS Bluetooth mod by @EddCase.

Here's a video of it in action:

Now for all the details. I bought this transmitter because it's one of the very few out there that DOESN'T use a battery, meaning there's no power button to press every time you want to use it. It starts working as soon as you give it power. It's pretty unique in that it's all integrated on one board, whereas most transmitters use a separate Bluetooth module on a regular board.
20170927_144627.jpg
20170927_144722.jpg
The headphone jack and crystal are on the back. I had to remove these because they add so much thickness (the crystal is relocated to the front).

I trimmed off the edges and added a microcontroller (the black chip right next to the antenna). The microcontroller is programmed to do a couple things; it detects when a connection is made and tells the Switch there is a headset connected, and it also allows you to hold down the VOL+ and VOL- buttons on the Switch to put the transmitter in pairing mode.
20170928_111231.jpg

Taking apart my Switch for the first was time nerve-wracking, to say the least. But I love seeing the inside of this thing. Nintendo made incredible use of the space with the way they built it... but there's no space to put a transmitter. They didn't give me anything to work with.
20170924_143359.jpg 20170924_144247.jpg 20170924_145746.jpg

Originally, I planned to put the transmitter under the motherboard, in the flat space between the main processor and the USB C port. But it turns out the transmitter is too wide and way too thick to fit there.
20170927_214231.jpg

Finding a place to draw power for the transmitter was actually difficult. There are very few power sources that offer the 5 volts or 3.3 volts that the transmitter needs, and those that do don't offer power all the time. I couldn't use 5V from the USB C port because a real USB device needs to be attached before it offers 5V. I discovered that the power source for the fan is 5V, and it's always on unless the Switch is in sleep mode or off, so it's perfect for the transmitter.
20170927_231705.jpg

This is also where I attached 2 wires to connect the VOL+ and VOL- buttons to the microcontroller.
20170928_115347.jpg

I found that the transmitter can sort of fit on top of the RAM, above the EMF shield. I didn't want to put it here, but I just couldn't fit it anywhere else.
20170928_113412.jpg

The large EMF shield on the back had to be cut to accommodate the thickness of the transmitter. This isn't a great place to cut it because it is right in the middle of the path for air intake, but this is a sacrifice that must be made (unless you find a smaller transmitter).
20170927_222800.jpg

I used a dremel sanding disk to cut this. The edges of the hole are pretty smooth after sanding. The chips on the transmitter just barely make contact with the back plastic housing when you close it, which is why the EMF shield had to be cut.
20170927_223511.jpg 20170927_224754.jpg

4 wires are soldered directly to the headphone jack (I couldn't solder to the motherboard because the pins are impossibly small): Left, Right, Common, and Sense. The Sense pin is what connects the microcontroller, telling the Switch when a headset is connected. This is done by pulling the Sense pin down to 0V. Some electrical tape holds the wires down.
20170928_132309.jpg 20170928_133212.jpg

I put more electrical tape on the edges of the transmitter so the EMF shield doesn't short any components or connections.
20170928_135010.jpg

I relocated the antenna to the corner of the Switch where there's some space. The antenna I used is a chopped up Wii antenna. It has great range in portable mode (better than my Joy Con), but the range in docked mode is limited because the antenna is right next to the electronics in the dock.
20170928_135358.jpg

I covered the hole I made with tape so I can hopefully improve airflow. Leaving it open would leave a really rough surface that would prevent any kind of smooth airflow.
20170928_140009.jpg

Finally closed it back up!
20170928_140729.jpg 20170928_140800.jpg

The microcontroller I used is the PIC16F1503 (this one, to be exact), and the code I wrote for it is attached to this post. You can use the code by copying it into a project in MPLAB X IDE, compiling it, and programming it with a PIC Kit 3. The code contains an LED output that turns solid when a device is connected, which I didn't use in this mod.

Attachments

• Switch Bluetooth Mod.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 658

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Improvements Included in Version 3.0.3
  • Bluetooth Audio Streaming
    • Added the ability to stream the system's audio output to Bluetooth speakers and headphones
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience

Last edited by DocAmes1980, , Reason: spelling

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty cool, I have this small unobtrusive and stays in place bluetooth audio transmitter that I interchange between my Switch and 3DS. I'd like such a mod, but I'd like it for both systems, so the price wouldn't be worth it, so for me this solution works great:

4jLOph9.jpg

Last edited by duffmmann,

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's pretty cool, I have this small unobtrusive and stays in place bluetooth audio transmitter that I interchange between my Switch and 3DS. I'd like such a mod, but I'd like it for both systems, so the price wouldn't be worth it, so for me this solution works great:

4jLOph9.jpg

Were can I get these? They look sleek and affordable :D

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were can I get these? They look sleek and affordable :D

Sleek yes, but they are actually rather expensive for bluetooth transmitters. It does have the benefit of being able to transmit to 2 bluetooth audio devices at the same time, so it does have that benefit, which can help explain the larger price tag. It is however the smallest of such devices I could fine, and one of the few that functions as one piece without a cord between the device and the jack, so I had to go with this one.

$60 for black, here: https://www.amazon.com/KOKKIA-iSPLITTER-black-MULTI-STREAMING-Transmitter/dp/B00IQYC4R4
$55 for white (didn't think it would look good next to the Switch in white so I splurged the extra 5 on the black) here: https://www.amazon.com/KOKKIA-iSPLI...d=1508165559&sr=1-4&keywords=kokkia+isplitter

Edit: in doing my search i see they have another version, a transceiver, it can both receive and transmit bluetooth audio, however it can't transmit to more than one device. It is a bit cheaper though at $40, and it appears to be the same shape and size: https://www.amazon.com/KOKKIA-iTRAN...1508165678&sr=8-1&keywords=kokkia+transceiver

Reactions: gamecaptor

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
How, is your reception?
(Because it has the screen and shield in front of antenna).

I am thinking of doing a mod and fix the WiFi and Bluetooth antennas and while I am at it, maybe add your mod if I find a CSR solution pico board with AptX. Great!

JacksonS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How, is your reception?
The signal was not great, but I moved the antenna to the same spot as the WiFi antenna and it works much better.

I am thinking of doing a mod and fix the WiFi and Bluetooth antennas and while I am at it, maybe add your mod if I find a CSR solution pico board with AptX.
That is my next step. I've been looking for a CSR transmitter that supports aptX (Low Latency specifically) and there aren't very many. Programming them to work without a battery is quite a challenge as well.

Reactions: DARKFiB3R

JacksonS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about connecting it to battery directly or a Vbat (3.7v) power rail and utilizing a chip's gpio connected somewhere to switch mainboard for on/off?
That would work fine, but it would still require a simulated power-button press, so it would take a whole second or two to power on. I may just have to live with that, but it's not ideal for me.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sleek yes, but they are actually rather expensive for bluetooth transmitters. It does have the benefit of being able to transmit to 2 bluetooth audio devices at the same time, so it does have that benefit, which can help explain the larger price tag. It is however the smallest of such devices I could fine, and one of the few that functions as one piece without a cord between the device and the jack, so I had to go with this one.

$60 for black, here: https://www.amazon.com/KOKKIA-iSPLITTER-black-MULTI-STREAMING-Transmitter/dp/B00IQYC4R4
$55 for white (didn't think it would look good next to the Switch in white so I splurged the extra 5 on the black) here: https://www.amazon.com/KOKKIA-iSPLI...d=1508165559&sr=1-4&keywords=kokkia+isplitter

Edit: in doing my search i see they have another version, a transceiver, it can both receive and transmit bluetooth audio, however it can't transmit to more than one device. It is a bit cheaper though at $40, and it appears to be the same shape and size: https://www.amazon.com/KOKKIA-iTRAN...1508165678&sr=8-1&keywords=kokkia+transceiver

I ended up grabbing the transceiver version of the adapter but I ended up returning it. It works well enough, but the slight lag the action on screen and what I hear is off-putting to me. Also the audio quality seemed pretty poor on my Sony XB950s, though i will admit I have not tested them with a wired connection or any wired headphones yet.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, all transmitters will have noticeable lag unless they specifically support aptX Low Latency encoding. This is one of the few transmitters that does (I've used this and it works perfectly).

Make sure your headphones are compatible with aptX encoding. I don't know if that was my problem or not but I thought I'd mention it.

HheuerZzhang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP, it's really cool.
There are BT adapter for NS, that plug and play with TypeC connector.
Also, we need Payload launcher for HRWs.
I am thinking about mod with Micro:bit, to add the both feature to NS, do you have any comments on this ?
To do this, we don't need to touch the 3.5mm audio plug, only about the TypeC USB.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro