Homebrew Ace Attorney DS

B12Core

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is the official discussion topic for Ace Attorney DS, a project I've been working on for several months now.

DESCRIPTION

This application is a "Visual Novel Engine". It is used to create and manipulate scenes to form a script in which the player can delve into. I have added extra support with this application, to support the emulation of the game "Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney". This genre of game involves a protagonist Defense Attorney whom helps defend his clients through finding out information during interrogation, examining crime scenes, moving from location to location, presenting evidence to suspects and witnesses and proving testimony in court as false. A description on what a visual novel is can be defined here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel

Ace Attorney DS reads from .ini files which fill in variables needed for the case to run. This engine, or in other words "Casemaker", comes with 113 profile sprites, 280 evidence sprites, 99 maps and 941 animations (pre-scripted for you, from Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney and Phoenix Wright : Justice For All). Using these resources and the knowledge of the .ini functions, you can basically re-create a Phoenix Wright game, with your own custom plot, characters, evidence/profiles, maps/collision maps, and music. Don't feel limited to only being able to make Phoenix Wright games, this is a visual novel engine with unlimited possibilities if you have ideas. A fanfiction can be played out, for instance, through this application with the necessary sprites and script. Simply put, Ace Attorney DS is a game-maker.

I also realize that many of you may or may not be familiar of Phoenix Wright games and their genre. That is why I have included several tutorials on how to use this application to its fullest capabilities and learn how to create your own games or visual novels using the engine. It can take a long time to go through every single tutorial, so I'm asking if it's possible that you guys may not judge the book by its cover and flip through the tutorials, learning how the application works. Thank you very much!

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. Download:
http://www.4shared.com/file/94980115/c5360...ney_DS_v11.html (Version 1.1 of Ace Attorney DS)
http://www.4shared.com/file/94976121/4e4d5...ttorney_DS.html (Ace Attorney DS Datafile Repository, ~40 megabytes compressed)
2. Place the both files directly on the root of your flashcard. (Don't extract the Datafile Repository until you have moved it the root to save time.)
3. Extract the Ace Attorney DS Datafile Repository
4. Boot the ROM from whatever firmware you may be using and enjoy!

HOW TO USE

In the separate folder on the root of your flash card, named AADS, there are several folders inside. Navigate to AADS/cases/caseselection.ini and you will be able to see the case selection list used to determine the amount of cases and the folders the ROM should look for to start the cases. If you move further in, at AADS/cases/ini, there are several folders containing .ini files that the ROM reads. These .ini files are the basis of cases, and are used to define variables required by the casemaker to run. If you start the ROM up on hardware, you can begin take the tutorials (there are 30) to learn how to use the functions that are readable by the .ini files. Have fun!

MISC.

The application has DSMotion support. If you're wondering how, you can browse through the court record by tilting the DS in several directions. Also, you can press Start to save the game and suspend play.
I'm also asking if it's possible that my GUI not be ripped since I made most of the entire GUI used in the ROM.

EXAMPLES OF USAGE
+ Fanfictions
+ Ace Attorney-based games
+ Visual thriller novels (such as Hotel Dusk)
+ Plot-based video games

FEATURES

Here is an example of a .ini file case:

af96xs.jpg
10qcgls.jpg
302z4nd.jpg
20ixd7d.jpg
a0xxy1.jpg
4h2ueq.jpg
fllj5z.jpg
5033ad.jpg
ff96av.jpg
of2erl.jpg
15cyjgo.jpg
102ul2e.jpg
dha32x.jpg
5ntdar.jpg

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nice! I've actually been looking into Visual Novels lately, ever since I played Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk. I'll definitely give this a shot, since PW happens to be one of my favorite games from the genre as well
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Will it be possible to let others play your visual novel? I'd actually like to share mine if I ever finish one.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It usually freezes on me when a tutorial is supposedly finish.

By the way, why is it that it takes so long to transfer when the entire AADS folder is only 61MB? It took over 2 hours to get it on to my microSD >_< .

gmhuntr7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there was ever a tutorial for using PRETRL. I've worked a long time on my case, but now I can't leave investigation mode. The init tutorial mentions the minimum profiles and items needed to advance and says PRETRL will be discussed later, but I don't think I ever saw it again. Help??? I've worked too long to just stop now.

P.S. It would be really helpful to see a working example of a complete case. Anyone finish one yet?

B12Core

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gmhuntr7 said:
Hey maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there was ever a tutorial for using PRETRL. I've worked a long time on my case, but now I can't leave investigation mode. The init tutorial mentions the minimum profiles and items needed to advance and says PRETRL will be discussed later, but I don't think I ever saw it again. Help??? I've worked too long to just stop now.

P.S. It would be really helpful to see a working example of a complete case. Anyone finish one yet?

PRETRL is used in the Trial tutorial, see AADS/cases/ini/Trial/storyline.ini

Basically, once you collect the required evidence/profile amounts, it'll automatically launch you to PRE10, where from there you can load whatever you need to start a trial.

I'll be working on a complete case to help you guys out soon.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For me, AADS freezes a lot, when I'm changing sound options, or when I select a case. Odd... but that was all before deleting the mp3 folder. I haven't tested it since. Do you think things will be fixed now?

I'm running an M3 Real using Sakura 1.35 (with the Flashcard OS trick).

EDIT: Yes, I am using version 1.1 of AADS.

gmhuntr7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I made it into trial mode... but I think you forgot to add in the guide for trial presenting? All I see is caseart in that folder.

B12Core

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gmhuntr7 said:
Okay I made it into trial mode... but I think you forgot to add in the guide for trial presenting? All I see is caseart in that folder.

Yeah, I guess I forgot to make a tutorial for that...

I'll be updating the .ini archive soon. I have a lot of other stuff I need to do this week though...

QUOTE(Skyline969 @ Mar 26 2009, 05:24 PM) For me, AADS freezes a lot, when I'm changing sound options, or when I select a case. Odd... but that was all before deleting the mp3 folder. I haven't tested it since. Do you think things will be fixed now?

I'm running an M3 Real using Sakura 1.35 (with the Flashcard OS trick).

EDIT: Yes, I am using version 1.1 of AADS.

Then the .mp3 problem is still here.

anoNL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ChaosBoi said:
By the way, why is it that it takes so long to transfer when the entire AADS folder is only 61MB? It took over 2 hours to get it on to my microSD >_< .
61MB of data, but 6000 files. Every file copied also requires a write to the file table, and file sizes are also rounded up to the sector size (4KB usually).

To say it simply, you were writing around 25% more data (due to per-file overhead) and in an inefficient order.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, the MP3 folder is gone, but I still get a lockup when a tutorial is over. Again, I'm using an M3 Real running Sakura 1.35 using the Flashcard OS trick. I've also tried it with TouchPod - same issue.

B12Core

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Skyline969 said:
Well, the MP3 folder is gone, but I still get a lockup when a tutorial is over. Again, I'm using an M3 Real running Sakura 1.35 using the Flashcard OS trick. I've also tried it with TouchPod - same issue.

Just press L + R + Select + Start whenever an option screen comes up.

I'll fix this issue soon... I've just been really busy this week.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
B12Core said:
Skyline969 said:

Just press L + R + Select + Start whenever an option screen comes up.

I'll fix this issue soon... I've just been really busy this week.
L, R, Start, Select must do a soft reset of sorts, huh...?
Take your time in fixing it. However, I hope version 1.2 has several crucial bugfixes. AADS is an incredible homebrew, but I'd hate to see people not use it because of the bugs.

B12Core

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
fgghjjkll said:
what advantages does this have over PWLib??
this is kinda buggy so im sticking to good ole PWLib.....

Well obviously it's buggy. PWLib has been running for over a year now (over 2 years including the engine it's based on). This has only been out for 8 days. Just give it a try... I'll be fixing up any glitches that come around. You can't compare work done in 2 months with work done in 2 years.

Some obvious advantages include:

+ Portability on the DS
+ Easier to learn/use .ini coding
+ Takes less resources/requires less files to run

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Up to you.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    smug sonic time lmao
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Chronic The HempHog
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    I'm new! Hi!
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Welcome
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    What are your favorite topics?
    DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma: What are your favorite topics?