• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

About the Texas massacre and easy access to guns.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Xzi mentioned that he owns a 1911 pistol - guess when Browning came up with that one? In 1911, over a hundred years ago. If anything, weapons development is pretty slow nowadays - it’s more about optimisation than anything else. The most groundbreaking innovations were already developed in the 19th and 20th centuries. Could they imagine a nuke? I don’t know, but they didn’t have any issues with civilians owning straight up artillery. This weird idea that people in early America were shooting firearms only narrowly better than throwing stones is just patently untrue, and the founders witnessed just how rapid arms development was. They wouldn’t have changed a thing.
Another fun fact: That AR-15 everyone is so up in arms about (pun somewhat intended)? Manufactured starting in 1959, with its design dating back to 1956. Another fun fact: it was only a "weapon of war" for one year of the Vietnam War, from 1962-1963. Not exactly the high-tech mass murder machine people make out to be.

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and what about prostitution?

Do you want to live in GTA?
Actually there's been quite a few countries that have experimented with the legalization of both drugs and prostitution, Australia for example, where crime related to drugs and prostitution has gone down significantly. Granted, I'm not saying that would work here, because Americans are terrible people, but I like hearing about progressive programs.

main-qimg-1dac236de34c7dad61a4857ea53a1098-lq
I love people who love Spike Cohen. He's being made out to be this Che Guevara like embodiment, followed by millions of rebel sheep to the Republican slaughter.

It's also cute how no one stops to realize that as long as the NRA and gun manufacturers continue lobbying government officials, the government will never listen to the common majority. Why bother listening to our words and votes when billion dollar industries keeping putting checks in their pockets?

Reactions: pustal and Dakitten

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Another fun fact: That AR-15 everyone is so up in arms about (pun somewhat intended)? Manufactured starting in 1959, with its design dating back to 1956. Another fun fact: it was only a "weapon of war" for one year of the Vietnam War, from 1962-1963. Not exactly the high-tech mass murder machine people make out to be.
Stoner’s various designs were rejected by the military, it exists only because ArmaLite wanted to downsize the calibre of the AR-10, and it was only adopted because military trials at the time have failed to find an adequate replacement for the M14 - a watermelon shootout at a party had more to do with it becoming a military weapon than anything else. Good video by Gun Jesus, along with the other ones about the ArmaLite gas system.

Actually there's been quite a few countries that have experimented with the legalization of both drugs and prostitution, Australia for example, where crime related to drugs and prostitution has gone down significantly. Granted, I'm not saying that would work here, because Americans are terrible people, but I like hearing about progressive programs.

I love people who love Spike Cohen. He's being made out to be this Che Guevara like embodiment, followed by millions of rebel sheep to the Republican slaughter.

It's also cute how no one stops to realize that as long as the NRA and gun manufacturers continue lobbying government officials, the government will never listen to the common majority. Why bother listening to our words and votes when billion dollar industries keeping putting checks in their pockets?
Are you saying that the man is wrong here? I do see some blame-shifting going on. “Bad thing happens = Let’s punish everyone” is not a good way to legislate, especially not when constitutional rights are concerned. I agree with most of the other things you’ve said, but I question this part, as well as your statement on Americans being “bad people”. It’s an odd generalisation to make - what makes them “bad”, exactly?

You can put the blame on the NRA all day long, but it won’t change the fact that 44% of American households admit to having firearms on the premises in surveys, and that’s just those who openly admit to having them. It’s fair to assume that the Real number is higher since not everyone volunteers such information. There are 120 firearms in America per 100 citizens, and most owners own multiple different weapons. Americans own half of all civilian firearms in the entire world. It’s a right officially exercised by near enough half of Americans, unofficially it’s likely more than half. Owning firearms need much “advertising”.

Last edited by Foxi4,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I just got a mental image of Stryker beating up a guy until he explodes.

BRUTALITY
Always enjoyed playing as Stryker - anyone who brings a gun to a fist fight obviously knows how to get the upper hand. If you think that’s dishonourable in a martial arts tournament, consider the fact that you’re fighting against supernatural kombatants (ha!), including sorcerers, the undead, a literal god of lightning and more. I think it’s fair game at that point, evens out the odds. :P

Reactions: Subtle Demise

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying that the man is wrong here? I do see some blame-shifting going on. “Bad thing happens = Let’s punish everyone” is not a good way to legislate, especially not when constitutional rights are concerned. I agree with most of the other things you’ve said, but I question this part, as well as your statement on Americans being “bad people”. It’s an odd generalisation to make - what makes them “bad”, exactly?

Am I saying Spike Cohen is bad? Not inherently. But arguing whether he's bad or good based on his people isn't a good platform, much like Trump and his blind followers. No, my comment was more on how people flock to these... Paragons, of whatever societal ideals of whatever the current trend is. He might make some good points but, just like every other politician or other in this day and age, his fifteen minutes of fame will rocket and then fizzle out, leaving all these sheep confused and distraught. Honestly it's more of a commentary on how people are quick to adhere to a political stance of power like it's gospel, not understanding that they're just players of the current political environment.

You can put the blame on the NRA all day long, but it won’t change the fact that 44% of American households admit to having firearms on the premises in surveys, and that’s just those who openly admit to having them. It’s fair to assume that the Real number is higher since not everyone volunteers such information. There are 120 firearms in America per 100 citizens, and most owners own multiple different weapons. Americans own half of all civilian firearms in the entire world. It’s a right officially exercised by near enough half of Americans, unofficially it’s likely more than half. Owning firearms need much “advertising”.

I won't say the American people are completely oblivious and without blame, but the NRA is just as predatory as the next century+ old industry. If they hadn't pushed for the wanton sale of guns based on 2A fear campaigns, there probably wouldn't be as many guns circling society as what there is today. That could be a good thing, or a bad thing, but regardless of what it could be, predatory conditioning shouldn't be used to combat predatory conditioning.

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always enjoyed playing as Stryker - anyone who brings a gun to a fist fight obviously knows how to get the upper hand. If you think that’s dishonourable in a martial arts tournament, consider the fact that you’re fighting against supernatural kombatants (ha!), including sorcerers, the undead, a literal god of lightning and more. I think it’s fair game at that point, evens out the odds. :P
you also have to be a little stupid as well

I mean, there's people who can, and this isn't an exhaustive list

- teleport behind you, hitting you
- freeze you
- steal your soul and literally go inside you, exploding you or making you rip your own head off
- Someone with a large fucking hammer

Either he's really ballsy, or just completely fucking stupid

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be fair, Raiden isn't in MK3, so you can't use the "fighting a god of lightning" excuse until MKT. :P
Yes, that makes it all better. I guess he is a bit of an asshole, the rest seems fair. :P
you also have to be a little stupid as well

I mean, there's people who can, and this isn't an exhaustive list

- teleport behind you, hitting you
- freeze you
- steal your soul and literally go inside you, exploding you or making you rip your own head off
- Someone with a large fucking hammer

Either he's really ballsy, or just completely fucking stupid
Stupid is what stupid does.
Am I saying Spike Cohen is bad? Not inherently. But arguing whether he's bad or good based on his people isn't a good platform, much like Trump and his blind followers. No, my comment was more on how people flock to these... Paragons, of whatever societal ideals of whatever the current trend is. He might make some good points but, just like every other politician or other in this day and age, his fifteen minutes of fame will rocket and then fizzle out, leaving all these sheep confused and distraught. Honestly it's more of a commentary on how people are quick to adhere to a political stance of power like it's gospel, not understanding that they're just players of the current political environment.
I’m not really familiar with who this man is - I’m simply looking at the argument and he’s making a good point. One of the key arguments for restricting civilian access to firearms is safety. We are supposed to believe that the state should have a near-complete monopoly on firearms and that the police will step in and solve all of our problems, so there’s “no need” for civilian ownership, but that’s almost never the case. Earlier in the thread we’ve discussed that they’re not even obligated to act when in harm’s way (nor should they - we should not expect others to lay their lives down for us). Who could possibly be more responsible for protecting me than myself? It’s my life.
I won't say the American people are completely oblivious and without blame, but the NRA is just as predatory as the next century+ old industry. If they hadn't pushed for the wanton sale of guns based on 2A fear campaigns, there probably wouldn't be as many guns circling society as what there is today. That could be a good thing, or a bad thing, but regardless of what it could be, predatory conditioning shouldn't be used to combat predatory conditioning.
If the NRA is advocating for gun rights in order to make money, they’re not doing a very good job - they filed for bankruptcy last year. The case was dismissed and the organisation could face dissolution. The weapons business is certainly lucrative, but the NRA doesn’t appear to be a major beneficiary of those proceeds. They’re not spending *that* much on lobbying either - they’re not even in the top 10. Amazon and Facebook (now Meta) both spent well over $5m each on lobbying in 2022 so far, placing 7th and 8th. Guess how much the NRA spent? $650k.

https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-lobbying/top-spenders

https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-lobbying/clients/summary?cycle=2022&id=d000000082

Now, don’t get me wrong - the NRA is the biggest organisation of its kind in America by far, they spend more than all other gun advocacy groups put together, but their spending pales in comparison to other groups, or individual companies for that matter. Comcast alone has spent $3.3m this year making sure your Internet connection continues to be crap.

https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-lobbying/clients/summary?cycle=2022&id=D000000461

If there’s big money involved here then I’m just not seeing it. Senators and congressmen have far better revenue streams than this, evidently. The NRA is on the precipice of collapsing, and has been for a very long time due to legal issues and decline in membership. Not even gun proponents like the organisation as much as they used to, it doesn’t seem to adequately represent their interests.

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m not really familiar with who this man is - I’m simply looking at the argument and he’s making a good point. One of the key arguments for restricting civilian access to firearms is safety. We are supposed to believe that the state should have a near-complete monopoly on firearms and that the police will step in and solve all of our problems, so there’s “no need” for civilian ownership, but that’s almost never the case. Earlier in the thread we’ve discussed that they’re not even obligated to act when in harm’s way (nor should they - we should not expect others to lay their lives down for us). Who could possibly be more responsible for protecting me than myself? It’s my life.

I actually don't mind Spike Cohen. Or Ben Shapiro (mostly). I like people from all sides of the political spectrum that can debate their ideals eloquently and intelligently. And it's not even that he's morally wrong in my eyes, but I would hate for him to become this pariah for millions of people who simply don't know better.

But then again, he's the same victim many Americans are: getting falsely bred into believing their 2A rights are being attacked. "Infringed". Which brings me to...

If the NRA is advocating for gun rights in order to make money, they’re not doing a very good job - they filed for bankruptcy last year. The case was dismissed and the organisation could face dissolution. The weapons business is certainly lucrative, but the NRA doesn’t appear to be a major beneficiary of those proceeds. They’re not spending *that* much on lobbying either - they’re not even in the top 10. Amazon and Facebook (now Meta) both spent well over $5m each on lobbying in 2022 so far, placing 7th and 8th. Guess how much the NRA spent? $650k.

https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-lobbying/top-spenders

https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-lobbying/clients/summary?cycle=2022&id=d000000082

Now, don’t get me wrong - the NRA is the biggest organisation of its kind in America by far, they spend more than all other gun advocacy groups put together, but their spending pales in comparison to other groups, or individual companies for that matter. Comcast alone has spent $3.3m this year making sure your Internet connection continues to be crap.

https://www.opensecrets.org/federal-lobbying/clients/summary?cycle=2022&id=D000000461

If there’s big money involved here then I’m just not seeing it. Senators and congressmen have far better revenue streams than this, evidently. The NRA is on the precipice of collapsing, and has been for a very long time due to legal issues and decline in membership. Not even gun proponents like the organisation as much as they used to, it doesn’t seem to adequately represent their interests.

Honestly I'm not surprised. I mean for years the NRA spear headed pro gun campaigns, and while the company itself probably didn't make much money, I'd bet my annual income at least the ringleaders profited from lobbying, more than likely storing their money in offshore accounts. Conjecture, sure, but that same tactic has been used by many companies in many different areas for many different reasons.

But even aside from that, I wouldn't be surprised to see the NRA in it's current form become dissolved and, if it doesn't eventually disappear, reform into something else. They know their hands are red from the water they've swam in, so misdirection would be the next way to go. But again, at the end of the day, the NRA and related entities aren't forcing people to buy guns, so personal responsibility picks up a lot of the slack.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I actually don't mind Spike Cohen. Or Ben Shapiro (mostly). I like people from all sides of the political spectrum that can debate their ideals eloquently and intelligently. And it's not even that he's morally wrong in my eyes, but I would hate for him to become this pariah for millions of people who simply don't know better.

But then again, he's the same victim many Americans are: getting falsely bred into believing their 2A rights are being attacked. "Infringed". Which brings me to...
But they are being attacked and infringed. How can people not think that? The measures being discussed right now are not reasonable preventative steps like red flag laws and such, aimed specifically at perpetrators of these heinous acts. What’s being discussed is potentially restricting access to rifles, again - measures like this primarily punish law abiding citizens. It’s very unlikely to come to fruition, but it does affect public sentiment.
Honestly I'm not surprised. I mean for years the NRA spear headed pro gun campaigns, and while the company itself probably didn't make much money, I'd bet my annual income at least the ringleaders profited from lobbying, more than likely storing their money in offshore accounts. Conjecture, sure, but that same tactic has been used by many companies in many different areas for many different reasons.

But even aside from that, I wouldn't be surprised to see the NRA in it's current form become dissolved and, if it doesn't eventually disappear, reform into something else. They know their hands are red from the water they've swam in, so misdirection would be the next way to go. But again, at the end of the day, the NRA and related entities aren't forcing people to buy guns, so personal responsibility picks up a lot of the slack.
Wait a minute now, you’re shifting the goal posts here. What you said was that the NRA was at at fault for the current state of affairs because they were funnelling money into campaigning by the wheelbarrow, and now that I’ve shown you the receipts, you’re telling me that you’re not surprised and that the people behind the NRA have some kind of undisclosed stash of funds? I’m sure they’re quite wealthy in their private lives, but how does that affect legislation? I don’t really care how much money people have in their accounts, domestic or off-shore - I only care about lobbying, since that was the subject. It doesn’t really matter to me either way - I despise corrupt politicians regardless of whether they’re being bribed to do things I agree or disagree with, but if the numbers don’t align with the conclusion, I have to point it out. In your opinion, is it at all possible that firearms are prevalent in America and gun rights are strongly supported simply because a large part of the population, about half of it, actually believes that they have utility and consider bearing arms to be a right? Now, for the record, this isn’t a question about supporting or not supporting more gun control measures, it’s about the sentiment towards guns in general. I think that’s far more likely to be true compared to it being a result of campaigning by gun rights groups.

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But they are being attacked and infringed. How can people not think that? The measures being discussed right now are not reasonable preventative steps like red flag laws and such, aimed specifically at perpetrators of these heinous acts. What’s being discussed is potentially restricting access to rifles, again - measures like this primarily punish law abiding citizens. It’s very unlikely to come to fruition, but it does affect public sentiment.

How are they being attacked and infringed? By applying restrictions and preventative measures? The 2A explicitly states that citizens should be free to arm themselves, but does not state that restrictions and guidelines fall under that same oppressive umbrella. Now, if you're referring to the conversation of gun banning that happens every time a tragedy like this happens that always amounts to nothing? I think we can both agree that you're too smart to believe the chatter. It's fear campaigning that wins every time.

Wait a minute now, you’re shifting the goal posts here. What you said was that the NRA was at at fault for the current state of affairs because they were funnelling money into campaigning by the wheelbarrow, and now that I’ve shown you the receipts, you’re telling me that you’re not surprised and that the people behind the NRA have some kind of undisclosed stash of funds? I’m sure they’re quite wealthy in their private lives, but how does that affect legislation? I don’t really care how much money people have in their accounts, domestic or off-shore - I only care about lobbying, since that was the subject. It doesn’t really matter to me either way - I despise corrupt politicians regardless of whether they’re being bribed to do things I agree or disagree with, but if the numbers don’t align with the conclusion, I have to point it out. In your opinion, is it at all possible that firearms are prevalent in America and gun rights are strongly supported simply because a large part of the population, about half of it, actually believes that they have utility and consider bearing arms to be a right? Now, for the record, this isn’t a question about supporting or not supporting more gun control measures, it’s about the sentiment towards guns in general. I think that’s far more likely to be true compared to it being a result of campaigning by gun rights groups.

It's not moving the goal posts when it's establishing a timeline. What the NRA has done in the past, up to and including current events, has all helped get American society to where it is now. With the receipts that you've shown, over the past year or so if I'm correct, you've shown what appears to be a steady decline, which is eerily reminiscent of the same tactics similar companies in similar situations have used before. You seem to imply that only what they've done recently is pertinent, when in fact it's an issue that's been going on for decades, easily. Of course, that could be misinterpretation on my part.

"In your opinion, is it at all possible that firearms are prevalent in America and gun rights are strongly supported simply because a large part of the population, about half of it, actually believes that they have utility and consider bearing arms to be a right? "

Of course it's possible. It could even be likely. But my issue isn't with people who honestly feel they should own a gun because of any impending government tyranny, or even for sport or affinity; my issue is with people who buy guns off fear campaigns and 2A misrepresentations, and then feel they're allowed to use those guns as an extension of their anger toward everyday people because they've fallen prey to corrupt politicians and lobbyists who push these agendas to further line their own pockets.

Don't let me become misrepresented: I have no issue with responsible people owning guns responsibly. It doesn't, however, need to be fed off the backs of hungry shareholders who care nothing about average Joe's killing each other as long as they pad their pay.

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Until the government takes the guns away from those in the cartel, gang members, organized crime, and stop releasing criminals early, they shouldn't even consider leaving law abiding citizens defenseless against the criminals who won't follow any laws or legislation that exist now or any new laws for that matter. And in this day and age, public institutions and private citizens should also start considering security measures to prevent more shootings by criminals.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
These are distinct issues, however. But they probably need to be tackled together.
My general point was that a government monopoly is not required to implement legal sale of recreational drugs. We don’t have one for medicines, we don’t have one for alcohol or tobacco, I don’t see how drugs would be any different - all that’s required are basic food and drug safety checks (I say food because edibles are rather popular, and those don’t just include the active substance but also food - think gummy bears or brownies). As far as prostitution goes, “f*ck the government” is just a figure of speech - free market prostitutes are perfectly acceptable. :lol:
How are they being attacked and infringed? By applying restrictions and preventative measures? The 2A explicitly states that citizens should be free to arm themselves, but does not state that restrictions and guidelines fall under that same oppressive umbrella. Now, if you're referring to the conversation of gun banning that happens every time a tragedy like this happens that always amounts to nothing? I think we can both agree that you're too smart to believe the chatter. It's fear campaigning that wins every time.
It does state what restrictions the government is allowed to implement - in the part that says “shall not be infringed”. Any gun control measures are a concession the pro-gun side of the argument makes to meet the anti-gun half-way, and each of those measures should be subject to debate. If we take a textualist approach towards the constitution they’re all unconstitutional - we’re just allowing them to exist if they’re common sense.
It's not moving the goal posts when it's establishing a timeline. What the NRA has done in the past, up to and including current events, has all helped get American society to where it is now. With the receipts that you've shown, over the past year or so if I'm correct, you've shown what appears to be a steady decline, which is eerily reminiscent of the same tactics similar companies in similar situations have used before. You seem to imply that only what they've done recently is pertinent, when in fact it's an issue that's been going on for decades, easily. Of course, that could be misinterpretation on my part.
It is my opinion that American society has always been like this - the gun lobby, including the NRA, is just society organising itself to advocate for their own rights. Of course it’s not exactly selfless by any means, but I think the idea that the “gun lobby” has a huge impact on how society thinks is exaggerated - it’s no different than any other lobby group, and there are far stronger ones out there. In terms of all-time impact, the NRA is ranked 21st overall in terms of lobbying strength, out of 500-odd organisations listed - that’s in the Top 100, and significant for sure, but there are 20 organisations ahead of it.
"In your opinion, is it at all possible that firearms are prevalent in America and gun rights are strongly supported simply because a large part of the population, about half of it, actually believes that they have utility and consider bearing arms to be a right? "

Of course it's possible. It could even be likely. But my issue isn't with people who honestly feel they should own a gun because of any impending government tyranny, or even for sport or affinity; my issue is with people who buy guns off fear campaigns and 2A misrepresentations, and then feel they're allowed to use those guns as an extension of their anger toward everyday people because they've fallen prey to corrupt politicians and lobbyists who push these agendas to further line their own pockets.
I don’t think that’s what’s on the minds of most mass shooters when they commit their crimes - they usually have a more specific motivation.
Don't let me become misrepresented: I have no issue with responsible people owning guns responsibly. It doesn't, however, need to be fed off the backs of hungry shareholders who care nothing about average Joe's killing each other as long as they pad their pay.
I can shake on that, as long as we don’t forget that punishing law abiding and responsible citizens for some kind of nebulous “greater good” is wrong. A law abiding citizen will happily abide the law and its various requirements in the pursuit of owning the firearm they want - what’s unfair is telling them they *can’t* have one at all, or creating an obstacle specifically designed to be insurmountable for the average citizen, which is effectively a ban.

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does state what restrictions the government is allowed to implement - in the part that says “shall not be infringed”. Any gun control measures are a concession the pro-gun side of the argument makes to meet the anti-gun half-way, and each of those measures should be subject to debate. If we take a textualist approach towards the constitution they’re all unconstitutional - we’re just allowing them to exist if they’re common sense.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on each other's definition of infringement; I don't feel putting a restriction or limitation on owning a gun as an outright infringement because at that point, depending on the parameters of the restriction, the only real limitation comes from the individual in question. A hypothetical: if gun sales have absolutely no restrictions, then theoretically a five year old could buy one. Would you consider the age requirement an infringement of little Billy's right to purchase said firearm? Now, we can certainly agree that some of the restrictions might blur the line a bit, but regulation is inherent if capitalism. If guns were as freely passed around as marijuana, for example, then private corporations couldn't profit on the sale of.

It is my opinion that American society has always been like this - the gun lobby, including the NRA, is just society organising itself to advocate for their own rights. Of course it’s not exactly selfless by any means, but I think the idea that the “gun lobby” has a huge impact on how society thinks is exaggerated - it’s no different than any other lobby group, and there are far stronger ones out there. In terms of all-time impact, the NRA is ranked 21st overall in terms of lobbying strength, out of 500-odd organisations listed - that’s in the Top 100, and significant for sure, but there are 20 organisations ahead of it.

The fact that you mentioned that the NRA ranks 21 out... How many groups? Only furthers my point. They might not lobby as big as the Internet companies you've mentioned before, but should lobbying really be a common thing? Without derailing, this is the same type of behavior that brought Russia to the patched together Buzzfeed article of an economy they have now.

I don’t think that’s what’s on the minds of most mass shooters when they commit their crimes - they usually have a more specific motivation.

What's their specific motivation? To grab a gun and go shoot anyone else that isn't the government? Are they exercising their 2A rights?

I can shake on that, as long as we don’t forget that punishing law abiding and responsible citizens for some kind of nebulous “greater good” is wrong. A law abiding citizen will happily abide the law and its various requirements in the pursuit of owning the firearm they want - what’s unfair is telling them they *can’t* have one at all, or creating an obstacle specifically designed to be insurmountable for the average citizen, which is effectively a ban.

I believe the obstacles you're referring to were initially put in place to ensure that the people who shouldn't have guns, don't have them. However, the bad apples that are the few shouldn't break the system that, thus far, can be seen as working, although not ideally in many forms. Don't break the whole system because bad guys get guns anyway, reform the system so that people who are responsible can live comfortably and the people who abuse it get punished adequately. Also, something something something preventative measures.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We're going to have to agree to disagree on each other's definition of infringement; I don't feel putting a restriction or limitation on owning a gun as an outright infringement because at that point, depending on the parameters of the restriction, the only real limitation comes from the individual in question. A hypothetical: if gun sales have absolutely no restrictions, then theoretically a five year old could buy one. Would you consider the age requirement an infringement of little Billy's right to purchase said firearm? Now, we can certainly agree that some of the restrictions might blur the line a bit, but regulation is inherent if capitalism. If guns were as freely passed around as marijuana, for example, then private corporations couldn't profit on the sale of.

The fact that you mentioned that the NRA ranks 21 out... How many groups? Only furthers my point. They might not lobby as big as the Internet companies you've mentioned before, but should lobbying really be a common thing? Without derailing, this is the same type of behavior that brought Russia to the patched together Buzzfeed article of an economy they have now.
This is an all-time ranking - the NRA is very, very old.
What's their specific motivation? To grab a gun and go shoot anyone else that isn't the government? Are they exercising their 2A rights?
Murder is illegal.
I believe the obstacles you're referring to were initially put in place to ensure that the people who shouldn't have guns, don't have them. However, the bad apples that are the few shouldn't break the system that, thus far, can be seen as working, although not ideally in many forms. Don't break the whole system because bad guys get guns anyway, reform the system so that people who are responsible can live comfortably and the people who abuse it get punished adequately. Also, something something something preventative measures.
That was my point all along - the rights of the many outweigh the sins of the few, so there’s no reason to break the system.

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Murder is illegal.

Well yes, but that wasn't the question. Just like banning guns will likely still have bad people getting guns, murder being illegal doesn't stop people from murdering. There needs to exist a way where preventative measures can be instilled without making it impossible for people to exercise their rights....

That was my point all along - the rights of the many outweigh the sins of the few, so there’s no reason to break the system.

So why break the system we have now? It's working, objectively, and if the majority of the voting populace wanted no gun control, why haven't they voted enough of the right people in office to do so? It seems to me that a majority of Americans are satisfied with the broken gun control system we have now, at least in regards to no gun control whatsoever. Seems a little odd we should break the system in favor of the few, right?

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jordan Peterson, among others, has commented on this. In his view, which I think is correct, mass shooters are operating out of a profound sense of nihilism. They believe that not only is life nothing but suffering and therefore not worth living, but that the ultimate gift they can give is to relieve the suffering of others by freeing them from this mortal coil. As such, they try to take out as many people as possible before killing themselves, because they see it as advancing the "greater good" (relieving people of the state of suffering known as "life"). It's a very dark ideology, but there is a twisted logic to it, which suggests that such people can be convinced to take a different path if we can reach them before their sense of despair becomes overwhelming.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Jordan Peterson, among others, has commented on this. In his view, which I think is correct, mass shooters are operating out of a profound sense of nihilism. They believe that not only is life nothing but suffering and therefore not worth living, but that the ultimate gift they can give is to relieve the suffering of others by freeing them from this mortal coil. As such, they try to take out as many people as possible before killing themselves, because they see it as advancing the "greater good" (relieving people of the state of suffering known as "life"). It's a very dark ideology, but there is a twisted logic to it, which suggests that such people can be convinced to take a different path if we can reach them before their sense of despair becomes overwhelming.
Peterson is a smart man whenever he’s not on a metric tonne of benzos. Good lectures regarding personality, but the guy wasn’t ready for becoming suddenly and unexpectedly famous. He’s an internet daddy for many young men who feel disenfranchised, and he’s helped many of them, but the guy has his own problems, so some of his opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt. He should take his own advice and clean his room first. There’s no shortage of nihilist mass shooters, but for every shooter who’s a broken shell of a person there’s two who are highly motivated and have specific reasons for going through with their evil plan. Some suffer from extreme despair, others are very orderly and capable of complex planning. Psychopaths can be surprisingly organised and efficient.
Well yes, but that wasn't the question. Just like banning guns will likely still have bad people getting guns, murder being illegal doesn't stop people from murdering. There needs to exist a way where preventative measures can be instilled without making it impossible for people to exercise their rights....
If you’re asking me whether their ownership of weapons is an exercise of 2A rights, the answer is yes - they have a right to own weapons. They just happen to be misusing that right to cause harm - they don’t have the right to do that. We had a conversation about causing damages earlier. The libertarian approach is very simple and based on the non-aggression principle. If you’re the aggressor, your rights are immediately void.
So why break the system we have now? It's working, objectively, and if the majority of the voting populace wanted no gun control, why haven't they voted enough of the right people in office to do so? It seems to me that a majority of Americans are satisfied with the broken gun control system we have now, at least in regards to no gun control whatsoever. Seems a little odd we should break the system in favor of the few, right?
Who’s suggesting that? I didn’t suggest any changes, I only specified my personal beliefs, and even mentioned that they’re unusual.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/O8G6DCnlLDQ