Hacking About fake DSTT's and their firmware-killers?

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joel92 said:
I know. I figured it would be real when dealextreme's page said that 100% legitimacy was guaranteed... but i guess not.

They said that if it is a fake, you can send it in and they will send you a new one for free... but they are located all the way in hong kong. It will take 15+ days to get their, a few days to re-package, and 15+ for the new one to arrive!

you don't have to send it in. i bought 3 in october for xmas and i just found out on the 25th one didn't work. i filled their form and they said a new one is coming.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MeisterNo874 said:
will that v1.17 firmware work on regular dstt?

EDIT:

it works. wow. i didnt expect that.

Yes, although it's numbered 1.17, it's really just a hacked version of the official 1.15 firmware (which doesn't have any fake-killer code in it). My guess is that it won't run that obscure Japanese game that was fixed with 1.16.

So, yes, it will run on a regular DSTT but why would you want to?

The reason there are clones is that they create new hardware that will run the official firmware so they don't have to spend the time and money to develop their own firmware or maintain updates. In the future when more fixes are added to future versions of the firmware to allow new games to run, the clone firmware may not include those fixes (unless they figure out how to hack the official firmware so that it doesn't run the fake-killer code) and those new games will be incompatible with the clones. That's the problem with buying clones.

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It allows you to see if your cart is a fake, and also allows you to recover a fake that was destroyed by the fake-killer firmware.

See this thread for more information: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=124591

Also of note, the official 1.15 firmware that is on ndstt.com website now contains fake-killer code. You should get 1.15 from the download area of this site (it should be safe as it was added to the download area before the fake-killer code was created).

-Bri

MeisterNo874

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
masturbatingbastards.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Bri said:
Also of note, the official 1.15 firmware that is on ndstt.com website now contains fake-killer code. You should get 1.15 from the download area of this site (it should be safe as it was added to the download area before the fake-killer code was created).

-Bri

we're fucked up. totally. damn dealextreme, selling me/us fake merchandise.

sumpm1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MeisterNo874 said:
Bri said:

-Bri

we're fucked up. totally. damn dealextreme, selling me/us fake merchandise.

Screw it man. These things are $7 SHIPPED nowadays! I wouldn't have minded buying one for kids that don't know better and will just run firmware 1.15. BUT Dealextreme DIDN'T KNOW (I believe) that they were selling fakes (packaging and everything is quite authentic) because DX has NO PROBLEM advertising the TONS of R4 CLONES out there now (I want one)!!! And they were only selling these cards for $7, way cheaper than any other card. If they had sold them at higher prices then it would make more sense for them to take the risk. Also, I ordered mine like 3 days before DX posted their statement about DSTT fakes and I sent a single email and they shipped a legit one to me. DX is still cool, and so are the clones!!!

Evilmaster1985

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sumpm1 you forget the fact before DX knew:
People tought to be buying genuine DSTT`s.
This means they dont care about your $7 dollars.
They ordered a genuine DSTT not something that does anything like it for cheaper prize.

Your point of view is very shallow your post protects fake sellers and fake production of cards.

If they had sold them at higher prices then it would make more sense for them to take the risk.

So only then? I laughed. Seems like people forgot all about what the word principle means.
Lets see how ur kid does whine if he cant play the newwest games.
Cause you bought him \ her a crappy clone that has no support?

Greetz, Vistabuser.

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a patched 1.16 (fake killer code removed) for that 1 obscure japan rom fix, so everyone can stop moaning now.

It's not like the real dstt team actually bother fixing roms anyway.

sumpm1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vistabuser said:
This means they dont care about your $7 dollars.
Your point of view is very shallow your post protects fake sellers and fake production of cards.

If they had sold them at higher prices then it would make more sense for them to take the risk.

So only then? I laughed. Seems like people forgot all about what the word principle means.

PRINCIPLE? You wanna laugh really hard at yourself now? We are PIRATING games here!!!!!!!! And you talk about PRINCIPLE? ROFL

When DX became aware that they were selling fake DSTT's, they posted an apology, and REPLACED the fakes with legits for free. So don't say that DX sells fakes for profit without the customer knowing. My point is that it is different to buy a clone when you KNOW it is a clone and are prepared for a fake card, and UNKNOWINGLY buying a clone that was not what was advertised. In my case, I ended up killing my fake DSTT! But DX sent me a legit immediately. As long as the clones are ADVERTISED as clones, then people know exactly what they are getting for their uhum..... $7 lol. ANALOGY: But had DX gone and sold clone Suprercard for $25 or clone Cyclo for $35, then I would think that DX was trying to scam you, see? But if they sold a clone Cyclo for $7, and then APOLOGIZED AND REPLACED the product promptly, I would believe their claim of innocence? Don't you watch Criminal Justice WITH Bill Curtis?

MrArcade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received two boxed fakes with left slot and no indent on the front....

I read a little on the subject and decided to download the firmware from CNDSTT.COM

Most think they make the fakes, so their firmware should be safe.

MrArcade

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are a lot of different fakes. You should be able to use the DsttFlashChecker.nds program in this archive to see if yours is a fake: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086

There is some speculation that the CNDSTT.COM version of the menu isn't safe for all fakes. Your best bet is to use the "TTMENU.DAT" from the above archive because it has the fake-killer code disabled (you'll need the "TTMENU" folder from the official 1.16 firmware at ndstt.com for it to work, but use the "TTMENU.DAT" from the above archive rather than the one from the official firmware).

-Bri

Bravo111

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys new to this game. I to have just sent for the same as some of the guys. Can you download the firmware from this site and is there a guide for newbs.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To set up your DSTT for the first time, follow these directions:
[*]Use the Panasonic formatter to reformat your microSD card: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html[*]Grab the official 1.16 menu from here (but do NOT install TTMENU.DAT from it as it contains the fake-killer code!!!): http://www.ndstt.com/download.html[*]Copy the TTMENU folder (but not TTMENU.DAT) from the official firmware to your microSD card.[*]Grab this archive: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086[*]Copy TTMENU.DAT from the archive to your microSD card (that version has the fake-killer code disabled). Optional: copy DsttFlashChecker.nds to your microSD card.[*]Make a folder named "games" on your microSD card. Copy 2 or 3 games (.nds files) to the new "games" folder.[*]Run "safely remove hardware", select your microSD reader in the list, and press STOP before removing your microSD card from your PC.[*]Insert your DSTT into the NDS. Insert your microSD card into the DSTT. Turn on the NDS.[*]You should see a menu with your games and the DsttFlashChecker program listed (if you installed it). You can run DsttFlashChecker if you installed it to see if you have a real or a fake DSTT.[*]You should be able to run your games now. Always keep the following in mind:
  • Always leave some free space on your microSD card for save files and system files.
  • Always put games into your "games" folder. Also, put homebrew into a folder. Leave as few files as possible on the root of your microSD card.
  • Always use "safely remove hardware" to remove your microSD card from your PC.
  • Use the Panasonic formatter if you ever have to reformat.
  • Make sure you don't use the official 1.16 TTMENU.DAT (particularly if you have a fake) because it contains fake-killer code.
-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Yea