Hacking About fake DSTT's and their firmware-killers?

Joel92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a DSTT along with a 2 gb sandisk tf card from Dealextreme.com - and by the looks of things, it probably is fake (the sticker is off centered, it came in the fake-o box, and the TF slot is on the left side). Even though i am pretty sure its fake, it runs dstt firmware 1.16 (or whatever the latest firmware is) perfectly.

Was the 1.16 firmware a fake-killer firmware? if it was does that mean i can be sure that my card is legit? and do I have to be worried about other firmwares that come out in the future?

or is 1.16 a timebomb firmware or something.... like, would it kill my dstt (and possibly my tf card in the process) in the near future?

Joel92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know. I figured it would be real when dealextreme's page said that 100% legitimacy was guaranteed... but i guess not.

They said that if it is a fake, you can send it in and they will send you a new one for free... but they are located all the way in hong kong. It will take 15+ days to get their, a few days to re-package, and 15+ for the new one to arrive!

I really rather not wait until next year to be able to use it again...

As for the dot, i can't find one, unless you need to take the dstt apart... which i dont think i can do because i believe the dstt is glued together in my case (another indicator that the cart is fake)

Knarf

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Just run 1.15 to be safe. That's what I'm going to do when mine comes. Untill I know for sure it's legit. If it's fake I'll just have to deal with it. It was only $7 shipped. I'm just going to pray it's legit.

Joel92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good idea. from both of you. i downloaded 1.15 and am running it now.

The only thing that stumps me is that when i first got it last night, i began running it on 1.16, and it worked perfectly!

I still dont want to take the risk, though.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Theres two version of 1.6 one has the fake killer in it.

Old 1.16 ttmenu.dat file crc32-> CE7A3983 - Fake Killer... Tried and test by me and confirmed to be lethal
frown.gif

New 1.16 ttmenu.dat file crc32-> F7EEFB2E - Works without any problems.

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanas said:

Old 1.16 ttmenu.dat file crc32-> CE7A3983 - Fake Killer... Tried and test by me and confirmed to be lethal
frown.gif

Hmm, the old version is still on this site, maybe we could get a mod to delete it and just leave the new version up.

old 1.16 link -> http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=3603 (don't use)

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
rasputin said:
Tanas said:

frown.gif

Hmm, the old version is still on this site, maybe we could get a mod to delete it and just leave the new version up.

old 1.16 link -> http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=3603 (don't use)

Yep, GBAtemp has the CE7A3983 release, while the official site has the F7EEFB2E release.

rasputin, did you get in touch with Dealextreme about your two dead fakes?

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did, I got a 2 U2's as a replacement....lol

But they work ok with 1.15 DSTT firmware OK, just make a copy of the ttmenu.dat and name it u2ds.dat, put both on the root, u2ds.dat for the card to boot with and ttmenu.dat is needed for softreset to work since that's the file name it's looking for.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got 10 fakes
frown.gif
and the one that I killed with the fake killer firmware now only boots when it feels like.
I think I might ask delextreme can I swap them for 10 Acekards,
wink2.gif
you never know
smile.gif

Joel92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah.

I never put mine through the fake killer then, because i was lucky enough to download the non-killer version of the firmware.

Even though i didnt use the firmware killer, my "dstt" still sometimes takes a few tries to get it to boot.

Its annoying.

bulletmark

Trophies
XP
Country
Tanas said:
Yep, GBAtemp has the CE7A3983 release, while the official site has the F7EEFB2E release.
Not correct. Download the version from the ndstt.com site and it has a crc32 checksum CE7A3983 too.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bulletmark said:
Tanas said:
Not correct. Download the version from the ndstt.com site and it has a crc32 checksum CE7A3983 too.
You're correct, the first v1.6 release on ndstt.com was the CE7A3983 fake killer, which was then replace the following day with the F7EEFB2E safe version, and now they have replaced it again with the CE7A3983 fake killer.

You're safe with the clone firmware from http://www.dstt-adv.com/index-1.htm I have it on all my eight of my fakes and have had no problems with it.

Knarf

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Tanas said:
bulletmark said:
Tanas said:
You're correct, the first v1.6 release on ndstt.com was the CE7A3983 fake killer, which was then replace the following day with the F7EEFB2E safe version, and now they have replaced it again with the CE7A3983 fake killer.

You're safe with the clone firmware from http://www.dstt-adv.com/index-1.htm I have it on all my eight of my fakes and have had no problems with it.
So far their at ?V1.17A?2008-11-25 Is that safe to use on a fake?

moodswinger

Trophies
XP
Country
GoldenfrankO said:
Tanas said:
bulletmark said:
Tanas said:

So far their at ?V1.17A?2008-11-25 Is that safe to use on a fake?

I've tried 1.17a on my legit dstt and it runs fine. Though I don't know the difference between 1.16c and 1.17a since there are no change logs.
dry.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know burnt pizza can be pretty bad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    gonna download sonic generations to my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    How do you put games on there? Does it have like a game store on the ps3?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black market store
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, download a pkg file, put it in a usb or a sd card, put the usb or sd card to ps3, turn on ps3hen, go to install game, install the game
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yea that's same with me, was just curious. Coolio
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao my keyboard decided to randomly die
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its prob your new router interfering w it