ROM Hack About dragon quest 11 english text.

wownmnpare

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just hinking is it possible to get the text from the dragon quest 11 on the steam version and put it on the 3ds version?

I know a fan translation won't even happened since switch version will gonna release.

Last edited by wownmnpare,
Reactions: Moon164

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why not use that translation tool that was used for ex troopers?
Replying to a somewhat old thread but OK.

I don't know if that tool will work.

Most games have their own largely custom text engine. This is changing a tiny bit as time drags on, Nintendo having provided a text format with their SDK* since the gamecube and DS, but it is still nothing new to see one of the various elements in play for the text itself, scripting within it or font be completely custom to that game and its requirements. Indeed about the only time such things end up shared between games is either the money grab so releasing two essentially identical versions or rapid fire sequels where the engine is reused, slimmer chance still of the same dev reusing things. By all means try it (you have maybe wasted 5 minutes if you want to view it that way) but it is not something to put money on, even on a newer system.

*granted that is not necessarily a bonus here if it is Nintendo provided it means the PC version will probably have a different format so they don't steal Nintendo's code.

Secondary to that is writing something for a nice 1080p or whatever PC screen means different amounts of text might be used. Again as time goes on this is not like trying to backport a translation from a 2010 PC remaster to a NES game or something but different line lengths, extra flavour text, untranslated sections and more are then a concern. Such things pile up to the point where most opt then to translate anew**, possibly with reference to that version or later entries in the franchise if other conventions have arisen. To that end backporting tends to be more for when a PAL release is exclusive (with slowdowns or just annoyances for NTSC peeps) but someone wants the Japanese version, or the Japanese version is uncensored/harder/superior in some manner (including undubbing it if it is a pre file system game or the calls are removed for the English or whatever version and it is easy to go back rather than try to remake the calls).

**indeed even if someone dumps the text of the game by pictures or whatever and does a gamefaqs style text translation then most hackers will still go from fresh as the annoyances add up.

I don't know that I have ever seen a script backport face legal issues if released as a patch but there is also a reason undubs are not shared if they are of file replacement variety, and those doing subtitle translations of films and TV shows have faced issues before.

IcySon55

Leader of Fan Translators International
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kuriimu is plugin based, so if you wrote a plugin for the DQ11 text files, you could certainly use it. The catch, in bold. ^_^;;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/twitch-streamer-places-24000-hit-on-youtuber-after-stellar...