MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That's not good, your killing your HDD by doing that. less lifetime expectancy. higher temperatures. higher chance of data corruption due to high temps, if the drive gets too hot it will shut down don't think it won't because it will. your better off using a usb 3.0 dock that supports 2.5"/3.5" HDD's and using a 7200 RPM HDD with a 64MB Cache

My harddrive never overheats. It's an old 160GB from a TX1000 HP laptop that fried it's graphics chip. I stuffed it (with it's USB interface board) into an old DMG Gameboy for aesthetic purposes, and also to give it some breathing room. Runs flawless, and always stays cool. And My USB 3.0 dock accepts both harddrive sizes, but it will only run at 2.0 speed, so the 7200 RPM harddrive seems useless since it won't read data any faster than say, 30MB/s at any given time. 5400RPM does the job just fine, and without the excess noise, vibration, power draw, and heat.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a WD10EZEX 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache on my usb 3.0 dock I don't hear any noise from it. with your drive never spinning down it will eventually cause you issues, it's like a rat in a wheel eventually it'll lose it's steam and run out. but in your HDD's situation it'll just stop working.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a WD10EZEX 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache on my usb 3.0 dock I don't hear any noise from it. with your drive never spinning down it will eventually cause you issues, it's like a rat in a wheel eventually it'll lose it's steam and run out. but in your HDD's situation it'll just stop working.

Well I have all my ISOs backed up, so I'm not worried about it. When the time comes, I'm going to replace it with a cheap SSD in the same USB enclosure.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Also, what usb dock do you have? Mine is a Thermaltake with two harddrive slots. (It's not the usb interface for my Wii, but could be setup to be so.)

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the never spin hack is interesting. i think this can even be forced on the cIOS with a simple hack that won't slow down anything else. Though, i won't do it on those drivers as they were "performance" drivers back in the day, so they run hot and loud. anyway, if that bugs me in the near future i might make time to send a patch to whatever is the cIOS of the time.

Do you guys care to share more of the setup?

i tried to load the games from NTFS, usbloaderGX won't even find a partition (it must be looking for the first one only). and wiiflow shows a bunch of games in the second partition under \WBFS\ but halt everytime i try to load any.

The same game runs fine over a WFBS partition on another drive.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also, what usb dock do you have? Mine is a Thermaltake with two harddrive slots. (It's not the usb interface for my Wii, but could be setup to be so.)

Honestly you won't be able to find the dock I have it's a gerenric brand offered by canada computers called iCan it's a 2.5"/3.5" USB3.0 UASP Dock/Cloning device

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
gcb if you now how to write a .sh script(I don't or else I would convert the .bat scripts into .sh) here's the .zip archive of the .exe 7zip archive I just linked.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/se3wkjiw9jnrp3p/ISO-WBFS-WIA Wiimms ISO Tools For Windows.zip?dl=0

Those scripts are pretty basic to be honest. all they do is:

1. show some info about what it is going to do
2. ask you to type in the filename
3. run the CLI command with the filenames you typed in

nothing else. :D

IMHO, running the CLI command is even easier since you can use TAB to complete the file names and i'm lazy as hell. i think i never typed a full command/filename in my life. all hail TAB completion!

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the never spin hack is interesting. i think this can even be forced on the cIOS with a simple hack that won't slow down anything else. Though, i won't do it on those drivers as they were "performance" drivers back in the day, so they run hot and loud. anyway, if that bugs me in the near future i might make time to send a patch to whatever is the cIOS of the time.

Do you guys care to share more of the setup?

i tried to load the games from NTFS, usbloaderGX won't even find a partition (it must be looking for the first one only). and wiiflow shows a bunch of games in the second partition under \WBFS\ but halt everytime i try to load any.

The same game runs fine over a WFBS partition on another drive.

for usbloader gx do this
settings>HDD>mutliple partitions: on

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Those scripts are pretty basic to be honest. all they do is:

1. show some info about what it is going to do
2. ask you to type in the filename
3. run the CLI command with the filenames you typed in

nothing else. :D

IMHO, running the CLI command is even easier since you can use TAB to complete the file names and i'm lazy as hell. i think i never typed a full command/filename in my life. all hail TAB completion!

Tab completion isn't in windows so I had to do something like that but the windows CLI environment throws a syntax error if there are spaces so renaming to the id6 tag and using that works bset

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Tab completion isn't in windows so I had to do something like that but the windows CLI environment throws a syntax error if there are spaces so renaming to the id6 tag and using that works bset
ah, sorry. i misunderstood. you wrote those to use on windows. ok. that makes sense. I assumed you were asking to port them so you could use on linux.

makes sense.

if you want to you maximum convenience on windows, i'd use:

wit copy %1%.iso %1%.wbfs -v -v -v -v

just that for each command. and then either drag-drop the ISO on the .bat, or add the .bat to the file association so you can right click, open with the .bat.

cheers

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
for usbloader gx do this
settings>HDD>mutliple partitions: on

i did. no lucky.

hum... i think i will just format this to fat32 anyway and store all my collection as WBFS anyway. i don't think having the ISO files will give me any benefit even in the future

..only if the mod community embraced EXT2... sigh.... simpler to implement than fat. no file size limit.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
actually what I meant by my comment on the first page when I posted the links was if you can convert the .bat files to .sh for yourself to use. I don't know sh script so I unfortunately can't.
I tried the %1% variable it throws the syntax error due to spaces in the file name, it's an issue with the included cygwin version. that's why I used ID6 tag at first

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i did. no lucky.

hum... i think i will just format this to fat32 anyway and store all my collection as WBFS anyway. i don't think having the ISO files will give me any benefit even in the future

..only if the mod community embraced EXT2... sigh.... simpler to implement than fat. no file size limit.

use Configurable USB Loader MOD for EXT2 I think it may also support EXT3

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
actually what I meant by my comment on the first page when I posted the links was if you can convert the .bat files to .sh for yourself to use. I don't know sh script so I unfortunately can't.
I tried the %1% variable it throws the syntax error due to spaces in the file name, it's an issue with the included cygwin version. that's why I used ID6 tag at first

in .sh i'd use quotes around the variables if i want them to work with spaces. maybe the same thing works in bat?

"%1"

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
use Configurable USB Loader MOD for EXT2 I think it may also support EXT3

i heard usb loader is abandoned and has the worst compatibility...is that true?

and will it load from iso? or do i also have to convert to WBFS?

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it can load either but why do you want to waste the space with .iso files?
when you transfer a .iso to a WBFS partition it gets converted to either open folders or a .wbfs file but you only see the space the game takes up not the full size of the .iso which is all of the game data plus padding to fill it out to 4.7GB

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would however say go fat32 for the simple fact of if you want gc games for nintendon-t it's better then Dios-Mios it has audio streaming up to 4 Wiimotes+Classic Controller memory card emulation and a lot of other new features Dios-Mios just couldn't do. It's Gamecube games running in Wii Mode

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would however say go fat32 for the simple fact of if you want gc games for nintendon-t it's better then Dios-Mios it has audio streaming up to 4 Wiimotes+Classic Controller memory card emulation and a lot of other new features Dios-Mios just couldn't do. It's Gamecube games running in Wii Mode

thanks a lot for all the suggestion. i did read the diosmios and the nintendont threads and ended up with the impression that diosmios had more support for NAND... living and learning.

also, know if any will work with the GBA controller for link 4 sword? that i think is the only thing i will ever play from my GC stash other than ikaruga.

...man, formating hundreds of GB on fat32 takes forever... damn that FS.

ur7s1hk.png

at least it is pretty :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
WBFS is practically dead and obsolete while NTFS is experimental at best and support is poor, FAT32 is the way to go, it has been since it was first introduced, use it for everything. ;)

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
dammit! just realized on the screen shot i'm using 64k clusters... does that means i won't be able to play nintendont games from there? ...but having a single partition with 32k clusters for 4gb files will be insane...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
dammit! just realized on the screen shot i'm using 64k clusters... does that means i won't be able to play nintendont games from there? ...but having a single partition with 32k clusters for 4gb files will be insane...
It's not insane at all, there's like, 5 games that are dual layer and require splitting, just use Wii Backup Manager for those. You don't want 64k clusters.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo