Hacking abandoning WBFS...

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks a lot for all the suggestion. i did read the diosmios and the nintendont threads and ended up with the impression that diosmios had more support for NAND... living and learning.

also, know if any will work with the GBA controller for link 4 sword? that i think is the only thing i will ever play from my GC stash other than ikaruga.

...man, formating hundreds of GB on fat32 takes forever... damn that FS.

ur7s1hk.png

at least it is pretty :D

nintendon-t can use gba as a controller if you enable native control mode

Dios-Mios gets installed to the nand in the MIOS slot and backup loaders send commands to tell it what game to load and with what options.

Nintendon-t uses IOS 58 to boot I don't know what IOS it runs the games on

Reactions: gcb

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
here is the one-liner i'm using to convert all my ISOs to wbfs on linux with wiiI iso tools

this will probably barf if you have odd chars and spaces in your path so you had to add quotes, but the meat of the thing is:

Code:
for f in `find -name \*iso`; do echo $f; ~/code/wiimms-iso-tools/wit CP --split $f ${f%.iso}.wbfs; done

a more involved, but still pretty simple, version that does not care about special chars or spaces but only works on one level of directories can be:

Code:
for dir in *; do
  cd "$dir"; # enter every directory
  for file in *iso; do # for every *.iso file...
    wit COPY --split "${f%iso}.wbfs";
  done;
done;

oh, and if you are using a distro with sane upgrade policies, the distributed binaries are not fat binaries and expect new libs. to compile against your libs do

Code:
svn checkout http://opensvn.wiimm.de/wii/trunk/wiimms-iso-tools/
cd wiimms-iso-tools/
make

and that is it! you just have to checkout the subversion code... and run make. done. now you have binaries there that work with your distro libs.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
here is the one-liner i'm using to convert all my ISOs to wbfs on linux with wiiI iso tools

this will probably barf if you have odd chars and spaces in your path so you had to add quotes, but the meat of the thing is:

Code:
for f in `find -name \*iso`; do echo $f; ~/code/wiimms-iso-tools/wit CP --split $f ${f%.iso}.wbfs; done

a more involved, but still pretty simple, version that does not care about special chars or spaces but only works on one level of directories can be:

Code:
for dir in *; do
  cd $dir; # enter every directory
  done;
done;

oh, and if you are using a distro with sane upgrade policies, the distributed binaries are not fat binaries and expect new libs. to compile against your libs do

Code:
svn checkout http://opensvn.wiimm.de/wii/trunk/wiimms-iso-tools/
cd wiimms-iso-tools/
make

and that is it! you just have to checkout the subversion code... and run make. done. now you have binaries there that work with your distro libs.

So you also get a syntax error when using a file name containing spaces? So adding quotes fixes that issue? i'll have to test the windows version it could be the way the software was written

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So you also get a syntax error when using a file name containing spaces? So adding quotes fixes that issue? i'll have to test the windows version it could be the way the software was written

that is common CLI issue, don't think it is specific to any tool. happens here because of the way i'm sending the output of find back to bash. `find` is a lousy tool when it come to working with others.

the second one will work as it uses quotes.

basically CLI lines are parsed in two steps. first variable substitution, so "copy $x" -> "copy my file.txt"
then it parses the first word, tries to find an executable with that name, and then fork a new process for that executable and pass all the rest of the string to it. now "copy" has to decide what to do with the string "my file.txt"... it assumes it is two files. "my" and "file.txt"... as one would expect if the arguments were "file1.txt file2.txt"

you solve that with quotes or escaping. both lines would work:
copy my\ file.txt # the space char is "escaped" with a backslash
copy "my file.txt"

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
okay now I get it, i'm not very familar with CLI i know a little bit about using bash from my android usage and repairing windows HD's using linux

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
sigh... my controller (the only HDD enclosure i can leave next to the wii) simply does not work with usbloader GX. tried everything already. only finds the drive on port 0. not on 1.

on wiiflow it list the games and load the intro video on both ports. but when i start the game it reboots back to wii channel. think i will have to buy a new one from the compatible list...

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you use d2x v10 Alt-beta53 installed to IOS slots 251 with the IOS base of 58. Install d2x v10 beta52 to slot 249 and 250 with IOS base 56 and 57. So it should look like this Slot 249 d2x v10 beta52 Base 56 Slot 250 d2x v10 Beta52 Base 57 Sot 251 d2x v10 beta 53 Base 58.
then go to usb loader gx>settings>HDD settings> Multiple partitions: On;USB Port : Both> Save> Back> Loader Settings> Boot IOS: 251;Loader IOS: 249> Save> Restart usb loader GX and everything should be working is expected, i've recently had to help out a few people get usb loader gx running using only port 1 due to having broken port 0. this was the setup that was required to get everything working

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I wish more people would use Wii Game manager instead of Wii backup manager, game manager is so much more useful.

have you ever used Wii backup manager?
can Wii game manager list multiple games in sub-folders under one folder? (i.e standard usbloader folder structures)
can it copy/move/convert multiple games to another place and create correct folder structure for use with usbloaders?
can it rename all games/folders in a drive to correct folder structure with just a few clicks?
can it verify your games with SHA-1?
can it show you the entire wiitdb database and show you what ios the games are designed to run on?

or are you confused Wii backup manager with WBFS manager?

sigh... my controller (the only HDD enclosure i can leave next to the wii) simply does not work with usbloader GX. tried everything already. only finds the drive on port 0. not on 1.

on wiiflow it list the games and load the intro video on both ports. but when i start the game it reboots back to wii channel. think i will have to buy a new one from the compatible list...

If your drive can be found in port 0, then usbloadergx should be able to locale it in port 1 provided
1. you have the correct cios that support both ports installed
2. you need to tell usbloadergx specifically to look for your drive in port 0, port 1 or both.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
have you ever used Wii backup manager?
can Wii game manager list multiple games in sub-folders under one folder? (i.e standard usbloader folder structures)
can it copy/move/convert multiple games to another place and create correct folder structure for use with usbloaders?
can it rename all games/folders in a drive to correct folder structure with just a few clicks?
can it verify your games with SHA-1?
can it show you the entire wiitdb database and show you what ios the games are designed to run on?

or are you confused Wii backup manager with WBFS manager?

here's the homepage for Wii Game Manager http://wiigm.com/
I don't know if it supports all the verifying features but he is not confusing it with Wii Backup Manager or WBFS Manager it is a separate program, I looked at it a long time ago about 2 years ago when I first started getting into Wii homebrew, I didn't try it because I found the page for WiiBackupManager to have more notes on what the program has to offer and comparing the two websites information Wii Backup Manager has more tools that become useful

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If your drive can be found in port 0, then usbloadergx should be able to locale it in port 1 provided
1. you have the correct cios that support both ports installed
2. you need to tell usbloadergx specifically to look for your drive in port 0, port 1 or both.

sorry, only wrote half the history there. usbloader GX will not find any drive on one port. on another port it will hang on "initializing usb device" or similar message.
i have no problem moving a port :) but it made things worse :(

if you use d2x v10 Alt-beta53 installed to IOS slots 251 with the IOS base of 58. Install d2x v10 beta52 to slot 249 and 250 with IOS base 56 and 57. So it should look like this Slot 249 d2x v10 beta52 Base 56 Slot 250 d2x v10 Beta52 Base 57 Sot 251 d2x v10 beta 53 Base 58.
then go to usb loader gx>settings>HDD settings> Multiple partitions: On;USB Port : Both> Save> Back> Loader Settings> Boot IOS: 251;Loader IOS: 249> Save> Restart usb loader GX and everything should be working is expected, i've recently had to help out a few people get usb loader gx running using only port 1 due to having broken port 0. this was the setup that was required to get everything working

hum. ok. i had hermes before all this i think. now i had updated according to a guide and ended up with
249: d2xv10 beta52 over IOS56
250: d2xv10 alt-beta53 over IOS57

when i enabled USB port1 it hang for a long time and eventually went back to the state of no usb media.

i'm missing one you suggest, will do it now
251: d2xv10 alt-beta53 over IOS58
and fix
250: d2xv10 beta52 over IOS57

and then set usbloader GX for
boot: 251
loader: 249

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sorry, only wrote half the history there. usbloader GX will not find any drive on one port. on another port it will hang on "initializing usb device" or similar message.
i have no problem moving a port :) but it made things worse :(

hum. ok. i had hermes before all this i think. now i had updated according to a guide and ended up with
249: d2xv10 beta52 over IOS56
250: d2xv10 alt-beta53 over IOS57

when i enabled USB port1 it hang for a long time and eventually went back to the state of no usb media.

i'm missing one you suggest, will do it now
251: d2xv10 alt-beta53 over IOS58
and fix
250: d2xv10 beta52 over IOS57

and then set usbloader GX for
boot: 251
loader: 249

Make sure you have hermes v5.1 cIOS 202 222 223 224, I'll go through the inbox message and see exactly how we had it setup and report back

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks. i tried to find working links to hermes cios but failed. all seems to be down.
edit: found it here http://filetrip.net/wii-downloads/tools-utilities/download-hermes-cios-installer-5-1-f11435.html

this is what i have now:

Code:
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS236 (rev 1): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-al): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
222 and 223 are older versions of hermes.

HDD is one 400GB partition FAT32 with 32k clusters.

still usb loader gx does nothing. sometimes with USB on port 1 it will hang. others it will load fine and show nothing. but on the settings, it shows "save games to FAT 32 (x Gb free)" which is correct! so it did saw the HDD at some point

wii flow works as this:
usb 1->show games. when game load, black screen for a few seconds, reboot.
usb 0->show games, everything works perfect for WII games. reboot for GC games.

nitendont -> both usbs -> show games. black screen when loads any game. interestingly it shows all 4 games i had there, except for one that is a homebrew genesis emulator. wii brew shows that one fine.

One interesting thing on usbloader gx, it first initializes the USB device, and THEN loads the loader IOS 251... well, acording to what it shows on the loading screen

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
here's the homepage for Wii Game Manager http://wiigm.com/
I don't know if it supports all the verifying features but he is not confusing it with Wii Backup Manager or WBFS Manager it is a separate program, I looked at it a long time ago about 2 years ago when I first started getting into Wii homebrew, I didn't try it because I found the page for WiiBackupManager to have more notes on what the program has to offer and comparing the two websites information Wii Backup Manager has more tools that become useful

thats why I wonder he recommended Wii game manager over Wii backup manager.
I don't think Wii game manger can do any of the features I mentioned while Wii backup manager can.

IOS251[58] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-al): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
BC v6
MIOS v10[/CODE]
222 and 223 are older versions of hermes.

HDD is one 400GB partition FAT32 with 32k clusters.

still usb loader gx does nothing. sometimes with USB on port 1 it will hang. others it will load fine and show nothing. but on the settings, it shows "save games to FAT 32 (x Gb free)" which is correct! so it did saw the HDD at some point

wii flow works as this:
usb 1->show games. when game load, black screen for a few seconds, reboot.
usb 0->show games, everything works perfect for WII games. reboot for GC games.

nitendont -> both usbs -> show games. black screen when loads any game. interestingly it shows all 4 games i had there, except for one that is a homebrew genesis emulator. wii brew shows that one fine.

One interesting thing on usbloader gx, it first initializes the USB device, and THEN loads the loader IOS 251... well, acording to what it shows on the loading screen

You need d2x-alt for two disc support.
You have d2x-alt only on 251(58) then you have to instruct usbloadergx to use slot 251 but base 58 is slower than base56 and you may as well use ios58 directly.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thats why I wonder he recommended Wii game manager over Wii backup manager.
I don't think Wii game manger can do any of the features I mentioned while Wii backup manager can.

You need d2x-alt for two disc support.
You have d2x-alt only on 251(58) then you have to instruct usbloadergx to use slot 251 but base 58 is slower than base56 and you may as well use ios58 directly.

using D2x v10 beta 53 with base 58 is more a less for homebrew compatibility that is why I recommend it as the IOS slot that USB loader GX itself will use for people that want to use usb loader gx on port 1

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
here is what i have now:

Code:
sysCheck v2.1.0b13 by Double_A and R2-D2199
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6175).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)

Homebrew Channel 1.0.0 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x21
Boot2 v4
Found 97 titles.
Found 43 IOS on this console. 11 of them are stub.

IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6943): No Patches
IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224[37] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 1): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
BC v6
MIOS v10

with drive on USB0:
usbloader seems to find drive during loading (drive activity light flashes when it should) but show no game. it do show the correct free space. (tried loading on 222, 223, 224, 249, 250, 251... can't stand the wii reboot sequence anymore!)
nintendont -> works fine (only tested one game)
wiiflow -> works with most games (only brawl failed, but that one is know to be a bitch)

i think i will just continue on with wiiflow.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Code:
for dir in *; do
  cd "$dir"; # enter every directory
  done;
done;

Can be easier written as:
Code:
Linux:
  wit cp */*.iso --split %P/ --wbfs
  or
  wit cp */*.iso --split %P/%G.wbfs

Windows:
  wit cp */*.iso --split $P/ --wbfs -E$
  or
  wit cp */*.iso --split $P/$G.wbfs -E$
For Windows it is better to switch to the escape character $ => -E$
If you add -t or --test to a command line, wit does nothing but tells what it would to => good for testing!

If you like better file names try:
Code:
Linux:
  wit cp */*.iso --split %P/%X --wbfs
  or
  wit cp */*.iso --split %P/%Y.wbfs

Windows:
  wit cp */*.iso --split $P/$X --wbfs -E$
  or
  wit cp */*.iso --split $P/$Y.wbfs -E$

More about escape sequences: http://wit.wiimm.de/info/iso-images.html#esc

EDIT:
Forgot to tell about "find" usage:
Code:
find ... |wit cp @- ...
The @- reads the file names from stdin, line by line. So all works as long the file names have no line control character.

Reactions: gcb

gcb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can be easier written as:
Code:
Linux:
  wit cp */*.iso --split %P/ --wbfs
  or
  wit cp */*.iso --split %P/%G.wbfs

Windows:
  wit cp */*.iso --split $P/ --wbfs -E$
  or
  wit cp */*.iso --split $P/$G.wbfs -E$
For Windows it is better to switch to the escape character $ => -E$
If you add -t or --test to a command line, wit does nothing but tells what it would to => good for testing!

wimm, i tried the filename substitutions... which are hard to find on the manual btw... and this is what i get:

Code:
$ ~/code/wiimms-iso-tools/bin/wit COPY --copy-gc --no-link new/**.gcm$ '%N/game.iso'
*****  wit: Wiimms ISO Tool v2.31a r6044 x86_64 - Dirk Clemens - 2015-02-19  *****
!! wit: ERROR #27 [CAN'T OPEN FILE] in SetupReadSF() @ src/lib-sf.c#447
!!      Can't open file: new/**.gcm$

i tried all variations i could think of based on http://wit.wiimm.de/info/file-filter.html#pattern
Code:
new/**/*.gcm
new/**.gcm
new/**.gcm$
new/**.gcm\$
'new/**/gcm\$'
'new/**/gcm$'

your suggestions of
Code:
@-[/

[code]
$ find new/ -name \*iso -or -name \*gcm | ~/code/wiimms-iso-tools/bin/wit COPY --copy-gc --no-link @ '%N/game.iso'

i will take a look on the code while it copies see if i find anything... but it more probable to be just user error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte