Hacking A9LH on a region changed n3ds

BooBooBear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Japanese n3ds with an American emunand loaded up. From what I can tell, I have to start from part 4 which needs to downgrade the emunand into the region of the system. I was wondering if the best way around this would be to copy my folders, but not my emunand, from my SD card onto a new one and use the homebrew menu to create a new emunand from which I will do the downgrade.

Zhou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Yeah, I've done something like this last night. Originally I had a New 3DS with 9.2.0-20J sysNAND and a region-changed 10.7.0-xxU emuNAND haxed through menuhax. At last I got an A9LH haxed console with an 10.7.0-xxU sysNAND CFW and got my games and programs remained.

Briefly, do the downgrade and OTP getting steps using a new region-correct(in your case, JPN) emunand(IMPORTANT I think) until get A9LH in your sysNAND. Then inject your region-changed emunand into the sysNAND using CTRNAND injection method said in the Tutorial part V.

My detailed steps would be like this:
First, I backup my region-changed emunand using Emunand9 and copied all files on sd card to my computer;

Then I formatted a new emunand and followed that tutorial from Part II to Part IV till the last step in Part IV "restore the emunand with emunand-original.bin". Here is what I've done differently from the tutorial, in the last step of Part IV, I restored the emunand with my region-changed emunand backup. And I copied the folder in "Nintendo 3DS" corresponding to the region-changed system (folder with a long code name, usually the biggest one) from the sd backup I made to the sd card.

At last I followed tutorial Part V and installed A9LH on my sysNAND and injected the four parts(like CTRNAND, AGBSAVE,TWLN,TWLP) of the Emunand into A9LH haxed sysNAND. Then it's done! Now your region-changed emunand is injected to your A9LH-sysNAND and your pre-installed games are still in the NAND.

Till now I found no other drawbacks doing like this, except I can't use my E-shop like before, which is a common problem caused by region-changing.(There maybe a thread about fixing this, but since I never use E-shop, I did't do the fix)

Last edited by Zhou,

Zhou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Thank you so much! I got it installed with no problems thanks to your advice!
Glad you make it! LOL:yay:

Would this work on an o3DS? I have an original I'd like to turn British.
Yeah, I think it should work if you follow the Tutorial and my experience. But there seems to be a fast but not very safe way for o3ds and 2ds to do A9LH here, because for these two consoles you don't have to unbrick your downgraded 2.1 emunand. And in that thread, the author mentioned he injected a region-changed emunand to sysnand for his 2ds.

Last edited by Zhou,
Reactions: BooBooBear

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I think it should work if you follow the Tutorial and my experience. But there seems to be a fast but not very safe way for o3ds and 2ds to do A9LH here, because for these two consoles you don't have to unbrick your downgraded 2.1 emunand. And in that thread, the author mentioned he injected a region-changed emunand to sysnand for his 2ds.

I'll stick to the safe way. Already did one o3DS for A9LH, and this one is going from a 4.5 with 10.7 Emunand to hopefully a EU CFW Sysnand.

chinh789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I've done something like this last night. Originally I had a New 3DS with 9.2.0-20J sysNAND and a region-changed 10.7.0-xxU emuNAND haxed through menuhax. At last I got an A9LH haxed console with an 10.7.0-xxU sysNAND CFW and got my games and programs remained.

Briefly, do the downgrade and OTP getting steps using a new region-correct(in your case, JPN) emunand(IMPORTANT I think) until get A9LH in your sysNAND. Then inject your region-changed emunand into the sysNAND using CTRNAND injection method said in the Tutorial part V.

First, I backup my region-changed emunand using Emunand9 and copied all files on sd card to my computer;

Then I formatted a new emunand and followed that tutorial from Part II to Part IV till the last step in Part IV "restore the emunand with emunand-original.bin". Here is what I've done differently from the tutorial, in the last step of Part IV, I restored the emunand with my region-changed emunand backup. And I copied the folder in "Nintendo 3DS" corresponding to the region-changed system (folder with a long code name, usually the biggest one) from the sd backup I made to the sd card.

At last I followed tutorial Part V and installed A9LH on my sysNAND and injected the four parts(like CTRNAND, AGBSAVE,TWLN,TWLP) of the Emunand into A9LH haxed sysNAND. Then it's done! Now your region-changed emunand is injected to your A9LH-sysNAND and your pre-installed games are still in the NAND.

Till now I found no other drawbacks doing like this, except I can't use my E-shop like before, which is a common problem caused by region-changing.(There maybe a thread about fixing this, but since I never use E-shop, I did't do the fix)
as i understand, you back up and remove your US emunand then you create new JP emunand, then you restore your US emunand, that is genius, i wonder can you update your system normally after a9lh and got region changed, is there any way to access Eshop normally, ty

Zhou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
as i understand, you back up and remove your US emunand then you create new JP emunand, then you restore your US emunand, that is genius, i wonder can you update your system normally after a9lh and got region changed, is there any way to access Eshop normally, ty
Sorry, i didn't test if i can update through system settings since my US emunand has already been updated to 10.7 before i did A9LH and the injection. I think it should be fine,I will test it when the next system update is released. There's a way to fix the E-shop access once discussed in this forum, you can find it if you search for "Change emunand region" related threads since it is a very common problem caused by region swap. I will paste the link here once I find it. But there's one thing to be clear, their method was based on Menuhax but not on A9LH since this hax was not uncovered that time.
Edited:I found something here, hope it will be helpful. If you succeed, don't forget to share your experience:ha:

Last edited by Zhou,

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country

Which guide did you follow? https://plailect.github.io/Guide/ this guide seems to be different from the one you followed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo