A sealed copy of Super Mario 64 managed to sell for a record-breaking $1.56 million dollars

mayrooo.png

Super Mario 64 might be over 25 years old, but the game is still setting records to this day. A sealed copy of the game has just sold for $1.56 million dollars--the most ever for a video game. The reason behind the demand and staggering price of this version of Super Mario 64 was due to its near-immaculate condition. Sealed, and officially rated a 9.8 by grading company Wata Games, meaning it's almost as pristine as the day it left the factory, Heritage Auctions claims that this is the highest-graded copy of Super Mario 64 in the world.

Super Mario 64 - Wata 9.8 A++ Sealed, N64 Nintendo 1996 USA. Well -- we're a bit speechless on this one. What can we even say that would do this copy the justice it deserves? The cultural significance of this title and its importance to the history of video games is paramount, and the condition of this copy is just so breathtaking that we're really at a loss here. If you have had your heart set on obtaining the highest graded copy of the single best-selling video game on the Nintendo 64 -- the first 3D adventure of Nintendo's mascot, Mario -- we only have one piece of advice: this is not an opportunity to waste.

:arrow: Source

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's a stupid amount of money. I don't even think a BGS 10 base set first edition Charizard would be worth half that, and I'm pretty sure there's still only one of those in existence.

I'm gonna say this for everyone thinking that this means their SM64 cart is worth money: it isn't. This one time sale of a very specific sealed graded game cartridge doesn't mean market value of the average SM64 cart is going up. CIB will still be $100, and new sealed graded ones might go up if people sell them for more and there are a ton of sales for them. As of right now, a graded one averages $6.5K. This one specific one got graded a 9.8 because it's the same quality as when it left the factory. Unless you have a something higher than a 9 don't expect it to you anywhere near $1.5M. Don't expect it to be worth more than a few hundred thousand if that.
Anybody who actually pays that much for a single vidja game is probably only doing it because that's a drop in the bucket to them.
Unfortunately everybody will do the same thing they're doing with their graded Charizard cards, they'll list something that was worth a couple thousand for tens of thousands, and they'll list good graded SM64 copies for hundreds of thousands. Expect to see graded 7 and 8s listed for $500K+, and be pleasantly surprised if that doesn't happen. I'll be surprised if every random person doesn't stick their loose copy of the game on eBay for a few thousand when they're worth maybe $25.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately everybody will do the same thing they're doing with their graded Charizard cards, they'll list something that was worth a couple thousand for tens of thousands, and they'll list good graded SM64 copies for hundreds of thousands. Expect to see graded 7 and 8s listed for $500K+, and be pleasantly surprised if that doesn't happen. I'll be surprised if every random person doesn't stick their loose copy of the game on eBay for a few thousand when they're worth maybe $25.
Generally not worth the hassle, eBay's quick to get the money back when it comes to refunds for an item that doesn't match description.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody who actually pays that much for a single vidja game is probably only doing it because that's a drop in the bucket to them.

And because they're expecting a fairly good chance that in 10 years, it'll be two drops.

And if this one doesn't work out to a profit, other portfolio diversifications will.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome to the WATA scam. They are grading games and then selling it to themselves to set the price bar higher than what it really is. Ties to Herritage Auctions have even been found, lots of posts on this kind of stuff exists on reddit. The previously 9.4 A+ rated SM64 sold for $38,400.

Reactions: Skelletonike

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
this is a 100% money laundering

We are reaching uprecedented (in modern history) levels of accumulation of capital in the hands of a few... and I say that as a capitalist. These things don't usually end well.

How can you say this and at the same time admit that you're a capitalist, lol

Last edited by jomaper,

nine0nine

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
usually I'd dismiss these types of things as investments, but even then, it's hard to see it fetching more than 1.5m any time in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a number of copies in the same condition floating around.

That said, the buyer probably isn't in a position where spending 1.5m has any effect on his daily life, so fair play to them.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I'm also speechless at their stupidity.
I rarely find people dropping that kind of money on this kind of item are stupid, and even if this one is the ones before and following probably are not. There is usually a very good reason and logic underpinning things.

Choice video for what is likely going on

Whole thing is good but skip to about 9:05 if you want.

Might also be some variation on

Others have pondered if the grading house is trying to drum up and corner its own market as well (everybody and their donkey is in collectable cards and comics, and also both of those are dubious where games is probably around for a while) -- if they are the ones with the expertise, the market and trust then the fees alone probably make it worth it. I could see that as well but I am not quite sure it is the case, or at least it is the whole case.

What I can't wait to see is someone restoring a game case, box or similar to how we get the same for comics, art in general

We have seen some considerable stuff for repairing vintage consoles, and the stuff with batteries for pokemon games always amuses me.

Guess I'll just print my own box, throw a used copy in there and profit
You say that but if even if only returns in the region of $100k I could see someone having fun with an industrial printer and vintage cart stock, might have to spend a couple of grand on a decent die to replicate the fold up insides and whatnot. Inks might be fun but could probably get it to fluoresce as I doubt Nintendo employed big boy security measures (not that a sacrificial sample or three could not be happily obtained to recreate far far more easily than I could with pre industrial printer fine wine). As it stands cost for a small run of custom chips of suitable gate size has dropped like a stone and if in this instance, compared to a lot of "rare" games, this you can get away with buying an otherwise good condition main cart of suitable version without going to that length.

Reactions: Ryccardo

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Even if it wasn't the first Japanese Mario64 cartridge on sale,it would have all that value.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's ridiculous. It is just a game. Just the same for comic books. Really silly. Oh man.

How the prices and 'value' are determined within comic collecting is understandable. The sealed and graded videogame collecting community is trying to force the same logic onto a different media that doesn't really hold up to even vaguely similar criteria... it's as logical as conspiring to initiate a sealed and graded breakfast cereal collecting community... I guarantee that a still sealed box of Coco-pops, in "straight from the factory" quality, from '97 is more rare than anything mass produced for the N64.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: I fixed it, just uninstalled SDUSB