Homebrew A quick question about DRC-Sim

Simsca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would it be at all possible to use a 3DS with a Linux Loader to run DRC-Sim? As I'm aware, the current Linux solutions for 3DS boot themselves as a payload on startup, meaning all Linux functionality should be present. Would it at all be possible to use a 3ds, or more specifically a New 3DS, as a portable DRC-Sim server to connect your pc or phone to? If not through Linux, does anyone think it would be possible to make a Homebrew port of DRC-Sim for the 3DS itself? Nintendo DID have a smash bros controller app for 3DS that allowed you to use it as a controller for your Wii U, so they must've used some kinda solution for that right?

D

Deleted User

Running DRC Sim (which completely emulates a Gamepad, not just buttons and sticks but also the touchscreen ,the gyroscrope, the camera, the microphone and even the NFC-sensor) isn´t the same as just using the gamepad for buttons/Stick-controls only!

You need a lot of power in order to emulate a full Gamepad.

So of course no 3DS can do it.A client is needed for that (a PC).

Nintendo just did the same. They allowed to use buttons and stick of the 3DS to be used with WiiU. But not more!

Thus you could play Monster hunter together with WiiU-players.

They used a Relay Agent for that...and yes Smash Bros also allowed this. You needed to download a small app on 3DS, which allowed you to stream button/stick-controls to the WiiU.

Thus you won´t need the gamepad, and can play with 3DS.

Only these 2 games supported this kind of controls though. And it wasn´t nearly as well as when playing with the real gamepad.

Simsca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What if we only had the 3ds emulate certain functions to help make up for the 2.4G limitation?

For example, I don't know many Wii U games that need the camera or microphone, also, NFC could be easily ignored as well if you don't want to use Amiibos.

The main reason I wish for something like this to work is due to the fact that I have a working Wii U, however, Nintendo has made it so no controllers asside from a Wii U gamepad can connect to the console before the gamepad tells the console to output to HDMI (which is kinda dumb but whatever). I know the Wii U works, but I am psychically unable to use it since the gamepad it came with was irreparably broken out of the box, and a Gamepad costs about 1/3 of the price of the system itself, not to mention the low availability of them.

The 3ds just seems like a perfect solution to me, they're portable, I have litteraly 3 of them so its not like they're rare, they're easily modded, they have a lot of the same functionality as the Wii U gamepad, etc etc, sure the 2.4G limitation would require some workarounds but surely there should be some kind of solution.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh, I should also mention that Video and Input streaming on 3ds is something that people HAVE done before for PC games on 3DS, so it is not impossible to do. Heck, I'd honestly settle for just having a 3ds as the server with a low-powered pc or a phone on the side acting as the actual gamepad, it would still be a much more portable server for it

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if we only had the 3ds emulate certain functions to help make up for the 2.4G limitation?
The Wii U's gamepad wifi card is 5 GHz only. No 5 GHz support on the 3DS means it can't connect to the gamepad wifi at all.

In theory, you could have some sort of hack on Wii U to accept gamepad input over the regular wifi network, in which case the 3DS could connect that way. This is similar to the InputRedirection mods for 3DS, which let you use a standard controller using a PC as an input proxy. (A PC wouldn't be required in this case; you'd have a homebrew program running on 3DS to send inputs directly to the Wii U.)

Simsca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, what about using it the other way around then? Most phones nowadays have 5G chips inside of them, and personally I've never owned a PC with 5G capabilities (Ethernet all the way-), what if the Phone acted as the server and the 3ds acted as the gamepad itself? There are multiple homebrew applications for the 3ds that connect to android to be used as a controller, theoretically that could work here as well, right? All that would really need to be done is find some way to make DRC-Sim's server end run on smart phones, perhaps through some sort of Linux VM or sandbox?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5 GHz (frequency used by 802.11a/n/ac/others) is *not* 5G (protocol suite used by newer mobile phones). Most phones from the past several years support 5 GHz wifi, even if they don't have 5G protocol support.

However, you'd need to be able to connect to both the 2.4 GHz network (for 3DS) and 5 GHz network (for Wii U gamepad) at the same time. Phone wifi chipsets can usually only connect to a single network at a time. This could be doable on a PC if you have two wifi cards, but that seems like a lot of effort just to use a 3DS as a Wii U gamepad.

Simsca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would there possibly be any way to use a windows PC for the DRC-Sim server then, without a 5G wifi card? Perhaps through a Linux VM and Ethernet? Or does it specifically HAVE to connect via a 5G wifi card and not an ethernet cable and have a native Linux install?

mariob0y

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Would there possibly be any way to use a windows PC for the DRC-Sim server then, without a 5G wifi card? Perhaps through a Linux VM and Ethernet? Or does it specifically HAVE to connect via a 5G wifi card and not an ethernet cable and have a native Linux install?
First of all you need to make sure, that your wifi device supports needed frequencies
If you are lucky - maybe your PC wifi card has it, if not - you would need to look for external USB wifi adapter
Here is doc explaining it in detail - github . com / rolandoislas / drc-sim / wiki / Wireless-Interface

Regarding windows support - it seems that it's in fact possible, you just need to install Ubuntu in VM environment
Here is a guide:
youtu.be / M-5qCwyLII0?si=hJyn8uIJZ6aRNTao

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto