Hacking "A new update is available" message on game start

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are everywhere.

maxresdefault.jpg

it was crazy when they found the guy that received a switch a few weeks early and took it away

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same issue with Mario Kart 8.
I've tried many different .xci downloads all claim to be the latest updated game, but all of them ask to "update" , not sure why?

Last edited by elm,

Nevercholt

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've tried many different .xci downloads all claim to be the latest updated game, but all of them ask to "update" , not sure why?

You probably downloaded base .xci games. You will need the .xci game (V1.0 of the game) and then the update nsp files to avoid the update message :)

Reactions: elm

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried many different .xci downloads all claim to be the latest updated game, but all of them ask to "update" ?
You probably downloaded base .xci games. You will need the .xci game (V1.0 of the game) and then the update nsp files to avoid the update message :)

Ok thanks, I'll try that :)

Reactions: Nevercholt

JupiterJesus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happens to me too, but is isn't a problem. You didn't say if you were running NSP or XCI games. In my case, if I turn off airplane mode (or if the game is older and it was already "flagged" somehow as having an update), I get the update nag... I just accept. It downloads the update and Nintendo gives me the update to my illegitimate NSP. They don't even care, apparently.

I have no account linked to my system, and have never tried linking an account (secondary switch). I assume that if a ban is now a CDN ban, that I must not be banned if they are allowing me to download official updates via the auto-update mechanism from their CDN...

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? It is convenient as hell. I don't have to go download NSP updates, I just install the base file and let Nintendo update it for me.

PS. The CDN has an access point at "https://tagaya.hac.lp1.eshop.nintendo.net/tagaya/hac_versionlist" that contains every single existing update title (for games, not DLC). It isn't huge, and all Nintendo would have to do is either include a copy of that data with every firmware, or query the tagaya server when you do a firmware update, then store the JSON file locally. Then it would always know if there was an update for any update released before the firmware.

PPS. For some silly reason, CDNSP queries every single game individually for updates, every time you run it. I haven't used CDNSP in about a month, but the last time I used it, loading the queue took like a minute, because the app walks through your queue and requests the latest version via the superfly server: "https://superfly.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net/v1/t/{TITLEID}/dv". Yes, the superfly server gets you the latest title version, but it would make way more sense to load the entire list via tagaya than to do a thousand queries to superfly. DLC, on the other hand, does not appear in the tagaya hac_versionlist, so you must query superfly to get the latest DLC version, and DLC will fail to download if you attempt to make a download request for anything but the latest version of the DLC. I don't even know if you can download "older" versions of DLC, since the CDN returns an error any time you send an older version number along with a DLC title id.
</offtopic>

JupiterJesus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always thought that happens in the background while the Switch is also querying news entries, etc.
I meant for a purely offline switch. Perhaps if one went online just long enough to update fw, and it updates then. Or a copy is packed with the fw, for cart fw updates.

How? I guess it isn't really important, but I'd still like to know how to do it for completeness.

When i do a CDN query for a title's CNMT, I get the following results:

Base title ID (ends with X000), version number of 0: Gets the base game's CNMT NCA
Base title ID (ends with X000), version number greater than 0 (multiple of 0x10000): Error
Update title ID (ends with X800), version number of 0: Error
Update title ID (ends with X800), version number greater than 0 (multiple of 0x10000): Gets the CNMT NCA for that version's update files
DLC title (ends with Y###, where Y=X+1 and ### is the index of the DLC): If the latest version of the DLC, via superfly, is Z, if I query the CDN for the CNMT using the DLC titleid and version Z, I get the CNMT back for the DLC of that version. If I query using that DLC titleid and any version less than the latest, I get an error

When I implemented CDN downloading, I had to get games working first, then updates, then DLC, because I had to figure out the above logic as I went. You'd think they'd send back a fully updated set of NCAs if you gave the base game ID and latest version, but it doesn't work that way. I wonder why the CDN doesn't just ignore the version flag for DLC and games, since the value seems to always have to be LATESTVERSION and 0, respectively.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K @ Kaden Kyarel: can anyone explain why I get ads when I'm paying for no ads?