Emulation A GB color emulation console ?

Cortexfou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello,
For purely nostalgic purposes, I would like to find an emulator console that looks like a Game Boy (color) just to play Pokémon games on Game Boy (not advance so up to Crystal). I'm not interested in emulating other consoles.
Which machine do you recommend ?

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
The best option is probably the Analogue Pocket, it's not emulation but rather FPGA so it will be very accurate.
I heard that there are ways to make it play rom's as well, but the main selling point is probably that it accepts GB/GBC cartridges, and that it has a very nice screen according to the reviews I've seen for it.

It play some other systems as well, but GB/GBC is the main focus and what it does out of the box.

downside is probably that it's quite pricy.

https://www.analogue.co/pocket

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Bruh... You can install a "modern" screen into a Gameboy Color... It takes like 10 minutes, tops. There's even solderless drop-in solutions now, but the Q5 screen really can't be beat. (yet)

Ask me how I know. Take all the time you need... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Avalyn and DaniPoo

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Bruh... You can install a "modern" screen into a Gameboy Color... It takes like 10 minutes, tops. There's even solderless drop-in solutions now, but the Q5 screen really can't be beat. (yet)

This is how I have done it, and then using a GBC flashcard.
But not everyone feel comfortable taking electronics apart.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This is how I have done it, and then using a GBC flashcard.
But not everyone feel comfortable taking electronics apart.
Bootleg Pokemon carts nowadays save properly, they're even batteryless now, and only about $5 on AliExpress too, shipped. Cheaper than a flash cart too. The EZ-Flash Jr is $40 USD, and sucks to navigate page by page. It's very sluggish in that regard, firmware is no longer updated for a "modern" product still being sold, and it's a total power hog. I hd to turn my screen brightness to the lowest when loading a ROM just so it wouldn't lock up on me from the extreme power draw. The EDGB (OS v4) carts on AliExpress are about $25 on average, come with an SD card FILLED with ROMs from all regions, and it's an Everdrive X3 clone so it works fantastic. I love mine.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Bootleg Pokemon carts nowadays save properly, they're even batteryless now, and only about $5 on AliExpress too, shipped. Cheaper than a flash cart too. The EZ-Flash Jr is $40 USD, and sucks to navigate page by page. It's very sluggish in that regard, firmware is no longer updated for a "modern" product still being sold, and it's a total power hog. I hd to turn my screen brightness to the lowest when loading a ROM just so it wouldn't lock up on me from the extreme power draw. The EDGB (OS v4) carts on AliExpress are about $25 on average, come with an SD card FILLED with ROMs from all regions, and it's an Everdrive X3 clone so it works fantastic. I love mine.
Sure but what's the purpose? you could buy a bunch of fake cartridges that you have to swap in and out of the system, or you can buy one cartridge to store all your games on. I know which option I will pick.

Cortexfou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

screen is too tiny

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you want a big screen and money is not a concern then the Analogue Pocket is the best with no serious competition at the moment.

If you're more budget oriented check out the product line up of Ambernic and retroid and pick the one that you feel is the right size and format, for game boy color emulation they are all effectively identical under the hood.

If you want something with an even bigger screen you'd have to look at something like a switch, 3DS XL, or a steam deck, but they're honestly overkill. Even a GBC with modded IPS screen (all of which are bigger than the original screen) are big enough everything should be easy to see unless you have really terrible vision.
And if that's the case get a laptop or tablet and a small bluetooth controller.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
exactly what the others above me mentioned , if the form factor suits you an rs35 on aliexpress is just 45euro and will do much more than game boy emulation

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: LMAO