Games that are too "old" and "unplayable" for you?

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They need to finish the FF7 Remake first, so we don't need to buy a PS6 for the next part, and a PS7 for the last part.

It's probably different teams within Square Enix doing 9 and 7 remake. Even with that being the case if the series is longer than 3 games it'll move to PS6, maybe even the third game.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It's probably different teams within Square Enix doing 9 and 7 remake. Even with that being the case if the series is longer than 3 games it'll move to PS6, maybe even the third game.
I bought a PS4 Pro for the 7 remake, and it was supposed to fully be released and playable all the way through on that system. So I'm pretty pissed. I think I'll just wait a few decades for them to finish it, and then play through each section on whatever the fuck PS28 comes out.

TizioCaio95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Weirdly enough, I feel right at home with the combat of Morrowind and with the combat of Skyrim, but Oblivion is just unplayable for me

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Assassin's Creed 1. Even in its heyday, the game was clunky and more of a tech demo of what was possible with the 360, than it was a real, playable, fleshed out game.

I grew up with a SEGA Genesis and Game Gear...so unless it's REALLY bad of a game, or like, from the Atari era, most older games are totally still playable, in my book. The games that aged the worst imo are 360 era stuff that just was flashier than substantial.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree about Atari 2600 original Gameboy because they're just hard to even look at but I hate when someone says a 10-15 even 20 year old game "hasn't aged well" I'm pretty sure games are the exact same they were when they came out it's us that change not the game. It's not like a girl you knew in High School that you see again when she's 40.
to be fair a lot of the arguments for games from 15-20 years ago aging badly comes down to gameplay and level/mission design, and ~2008 it's the colour filter making the game physically hard to look at because someone decided to piss on the camera lens and make everything various shades of gray/brown, badly made missions can include hitscan enemies that instakill you at any moment or vaguely designed missions that give off a vibe of "where the hell do i go" the majority of the time as well as being forced to take damage in certain parts to progress, making huge softlock opportunities if you don't have enough health

for me mostly anything from before ~1995 for PC platforms, and most games prior to 16 bit consoles, old dos games are very abrasive when it comes to things like smooth scrolling and controls that actually make sense, zx spectrum hurts my eyes and ears, as well as it's similar contemporaries like the amstrad
any 3d game that use tank controls are also unplayable for me, like resident evil 1-3, including the hd remakes for 0 and 1, and silent hill 1/2

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing is too old. It either sucks or it doesn't. As someone who started with the Atari 2600, Coleco Vision, and Commodore Vic 20, playing Super Mario Brothers for the first time was magic! And I still play it today. Hell, I just got my 512GB iPhone 15 Pro Max in the mail yesterday, and I've already played SMB on it (as well as some N64 games)! Even played in on my calculator (TI N-Spire CX).

Reactions: GAPMan

GAPMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EarthBound Zero/Beginnings tried to be a modern, quirkier Dragon Quest homage. It ended up being an inferior version of the Dragon Quest games. It had some good ideas but the game clearly needed more polish. Still, it is a pretty decent game.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
EarthBound Zero/Beginnings tried to be a modern, quirkier Dragon Quest homage. It ended up being an inferior version of the Dragon Quest games. It had some good ideas but the game clearly needed more polish. Still, it is a pretty decent game.
play the Gba version's fan translation or the 25th anniversary edition rom hack

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit irrelevant but i think it's important, atleast for me, are save states. I no longer have the tolerance of replaying a level (or sometimes many lvls) just 'cause i missed a jump or something and died.. this "issue" happens a lot in retro games, i don't care about the "challenge" by beating it the way that's intended, imo its a big waste of time.. Save states or nothin when it comes to retro games (for me).

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
A bit irrelevant but i think it's important, atleast for me, are save states. I no longer have the tolerance of replaying a level (or sometimes many lvls) just 'cause i missed a jump or something and died.. this "issue" happens a lot in retro games, i don't care about the "challenge" by beating it the way that's intended, imo its a big waste of time.. Save states or nothin when it comes to retro games (for me).
I'd use the rewind feature if avaliable

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol