Hacking Oldies Getting started on GB to GBC colorizing

RegionLocked

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi, completely new here! I’ve been digging around looking for info on how to convert a monochrome Game Boy game into a Game Boy Color version and colorize it, but I’m not having much luck so I thought I might ask here.

First off, I’m not sure if it’s even capable with my current abilities - I don’t really know any programming. I get how to use a tile editor, and I gave the old Game Boy Colorizer tool a go - unfortunately it’s very limited. Any Konami games seem to have their sprites compressed (I couldn’t see any sprites when digging through the banks, just garbled tiles), and while I could find sprites in Mega Man II, the game was too big for the tool. Patching it made it run way too fast and most of the sprites turned invisible. Oops.

If it’s something I could do, I’d love to give it a try! But the main thing is I don’t really know where to start. For example, is there a way to convert a Game Boy game into a Game Boy Color format somehow so that I can revise the monochrome tiles into color? Or is it a bit more complicated than that?

And if/when I’m able to actually make a modified game, how would I create a patch so that the hack can be distributed? Probably getting ahead of myself here, but good to know anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, after digging around in old games for a while, seeing how sprite artists worked within the console’s limitations has really impressed me. Huge respect to them!

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Interested too but there's no guides I'm aware of.
I think toruzz had some online but eventually removed them (I dunno why).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup