A favoured style of now uncommon game, consider why it might have gone away.

tempy_thinker.png

Everything has fads but it is a concept especially prominent in computer games. Here you are invited to consider a game style you like but is now uncommon, or at least not reflected in the lineups from the big game makers that might once have had loads of offerings in it, and maybe then why it is so. Equally anything you wish to note about the evolutions in it from what little does continue to this day. Are there any upcoming games that might bring it back?
Right now many are looking at the "battle royale" games* and predicting their eventual downfall, mainly as it is a pattern that has happened before.

*there is the related discussion of game genre names and how tricky that is, however it is wishing to be noted that "battle royale" is a surprisingly good description of the gameplay it encompasses.

Historical examples of such things might include World of Warcraft losing out to MOBA/DOTA style games, one of the main reasons being given that their gameplay style reflected end game style "raids" but without the need to front load it with hundreds of hours of play. As far as gameplay design goes though they are quite hard to justify if aiming to me an intuitive game is something you want to do.
World of Warcraft in turn also seemed to really knock back multiplayer dungeon crawlers like Diablo, Dungeon Siege and Sacred.

Going back further in history then space sims were once all the rage. Trying to be a fan of them from about 1994 until 2014 was a hard thing indeed, and it is still far from easy if you are bored of Elite : Dangerous. Some have argued it was actually technology that held it back -- not enough power to break out of the procedurally generated elite mould and into the fully realised world.

What might have heralded the demise of point and click adventure games? Is their ongoing renaissance that started on the DS and is continuing to phones and tablets doing it for you? They seem to be a lot more "streamlined" than before, effectively eliminating the "rub everything on everything else" style play so common in older ones. Did that come at a cost to the heart of such games?

Have you seen a truly good beat em up like Streets of Rage in recent years? Some do try, especially in the smaller downloadable game/independent world, but why do they not stick.
As it stands you might also ask the same question for games like God of War, Bayonetta, modern Ninja Gaiden, The Bouncer, and Devil May Cry, all of which some would say are the logical progression of the beat em up style into 3d. As this article was being written the review code was offered up for God of War 4, might this reignite the flames here?

Survival horror seems to have faded away. Is it doomed to repeat the same formula of scary, sequel with scary elements, second sequel that is outright action game? On the other hand it is doing surprisingly well in the lower budget/independent game world.

Is the surprisingly popular Fire Emblem a suitable substitute for Advance Wars?

We have not had a skateboarding game that stuck the landing since 2010's Skate 3. Fans of BMX games have had even longer -- 2002 was when Dave Mirra and Mat Hofman both released games in their respective franchises from mainline consoles.
Speaking of gameplay styles popular during such timeframes then where my plastic instruments at?

It has long been noted that it is basically only Nintendo doing the N64/Rare style 3d platformer games these days. Why might that be?

Maybe you are a fan of Amiga style European shmups. The Japanese favoured approach of bullet hell does not lack charm but is not really the same thing. Why did that stick around but the others fade out?

You need not take more mechanical concepts either. Recently some said Call of Duty having a World War 2 entry was a change of pace, anybody else that recalls the years 2000-2007 might well find that odd. As far as reasons for the WW2 trend ending then "utter stagnation" is probably going to be accepted by most, but do you have another theory? It is not like the period is short of compelling stories or theatres of war to look at. You might ask the same question for the futuristic and "modern" settings that bookend that period.

Similarly we have seen some other fads. In the early 2000s every single game seemed like it needed a stealth section. After that "RPG elements" were a thing. The jury is still out on what it amounted to but "roguelike elements" was a thing for a hot moment as well. Anything there you wish to discuss? Was the "frustration" associated with roguelike elements too much for it ever be a long term trend?

This is another entry in GBAtemp's new series contemplating aspects of game design, game mechanics, industry concepts and more besides. We have plenty of things on the list to discuss but suggestions or a guest spot are welcome. Previously we discussed skills one might have learned or honed because of a game. Older entries include games on the PS4 and Xbone that will stand the test of time, games that got better after launch, cancelled games and shuttered devs, and story canon in games

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This would have been late 90s/early 2000s, the discs themselves being silver topped but with black text on them. One of the games was F22 Raptor.

Geezerdorf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This would have been late 90s/early 2000s, the discs themselves being silver topped but with black text on them. One of the games was F22 Raptor.

Thinking about it, there were many discs with demos and games. I remember some EGM ones that could match that description, as well as some...MacGames i think it was called? I remember some from other magazines, but i can't recall their names. But yeah, Dogfight Simulators wer prominent on that time

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vehicle combat/destruction games, vigilante 8, twisted metal etc

And generally buying games once only, no dlc or poison loot boxes etc just buy the game and done.
Nintendo wants to take your money on a yearly basis from September to play Mario kart online and the other small selection of games they have, that should be prevented from becoming reality by you the I community, but instead you're probably going to do or say nothing and pay for something that is and has always been free.

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not sure what the demographic of members here, but I started way back in the Amiga 1000 era, and RPG's, specially the very early Sierra point and click/typing games like Larry/Kings Quest/Police Quest/Space Quest/etc...
It's sad we wont see any of these games anymore and they will stay has true classics, yeah the graphics was VGA and pixelated but they were great. If only the kiddies these days appreciate what was like to play RPG's back in the day.
Also games like Operation Stealth and Future Wars to name a few, heck I think it's time for me to boot up the Amiga emu's to have another round.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the Advent of online I simply been waiting for large PVP, like Battle Royale but with respawning. I can imagine the team work for CTF, or the command structure that could make TDM a real battle.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that I think about it they are far rarer than they used to be but I would not say they were gone. Did trackmania not do it for you?

Japanese games about Japan... there do seem to be rather fewer historical ones of late if I ignore the ? warriors series (which I do intend to continue to do). I don't know if it is modern, or at least 80s, that caught on over there. Somewhat amusingly it seems we have a whole slew of European history based ones of late.

I'll give Trackmania its due because it is a fantastic game, but in terms of personal taste, I always felt the cars lacked weight. It works a lot better as a 'what-if San Francisco rush was still around' and encouraged user-created content.

I too ignore the Warriors series (and the vastly superior Basara series) in this assessment, because these fit more into the category of new-age beat-em-up. I always felt that they were more akin to 2-player arcade beat-em-ups than anything else, if only in 3D.

One more genre that seems forgotten, or maybe I just haven't been paying attention, is Japanese-style 'Fantasy War Strategy' games. For example, series like Dragon Force, Generation of Chaos, or Spectral Force Genesis (all somewhat less ambitious clones of each other), or for that matter the Ogre Battle series and one-offs like Brigandine. Not that I was ever any good at those, but the concept of a Koei-style strategy game that was not bound by the rules (or length) of history was always an interesting concept.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I know what you are heading for on the car game thing*, and yeah I can see trackmania falling short there.

*something like what you go when it is was not mario kart/diddy kong/street racer, not a rally/touring cars game (think simulation racing but without the budget of a gran turismo to really get too stuck in), not anything that would eventually become or want to be gran turismo. Sort of thing where it pays to take a racing line but you don't necessarily have to come off the accelerator (and the gran turismo speed suggestion thing would be an utterly alien notion) and if you clip the curb/barrier it only lightly slows you (enough that doing the next corner or two right will get you back in it) rather than several places and the race.

I didn't dislike them but I had carmageddon which was basically that but with all else that carmageddon has.

As for the others it is not one I really looked at, though several of those appear to have got sequels on android and speaking of that most of the "freemium" strategy games ape a lot of their style. Of course they are freemium so meh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o