A dumped prototype of the cancelled Castlevania: Resurrection for the Dreamcast has appeared online

The elusive and highly sought-after prototype of a cancelled Konami project has finally made its way into someone's hands. A someone who has preserved the game by dumping it and uploading it to the internet, forevermore. Castlevania: Resurrection, the prototype in question, gained notoriety earlier this month when it was discovered after 22 years of only being known through E3 1999 coverage, where it would go on to be cancelled sometime shortly after. However, with the existence of a prototype of Castlevania: Resurrection, preservationists were eager to see what mysteries the disc held in store.

The first information about Castlevania Ressurection began to fall during the magazines of the summer of 1999. It was indeed during this period, in their summer double-number, that the ducks presented in length, width and across the titles presented during the summer. of the Great Video Game Mass, namely E3. At the time, all the journalists were unanimous in praising the spectacular graphics of the game. Konami fully intends to take advantage of the capabilities of the Dreamcast and promises striking lighting effects as well as respect for the Castlevania license, particularly in terms of atmosphere. Looking at the screenshots of our mags, we had to face the facts: Ressurection's visual punch is undeniable! Detailed textures, quality lights, various creatures, Konami's software makes you want to.

Following an auction, the unfinished game was sold to the owner of the website Sega Dreamcast Info, and now they, along with a handful of others, have investigated the prototype, and documented much of it, from comparing footage found in magazines to the prototype, to gameplay, and a look at the build's files. They've also dumped the disc to .GDI format, and uploaded it to Archive.org, where it's being hosted as a preserved slice of gaming history. Multiple videos are available on the website's YouTube channel, showing the game in action, while a detailed write-up can be found on Sega Dreamcast Info itself.

• The music, composed by "Mark Lindsey" includes only one song that goes on repeat. You can listen to his other compositions on this site .
  • As this prototype version is not optimized, it paddles or freeze. Bugs are present such as crossing the scenery.
  • The enemy "Lock" system is not yet implemented, we do not know if we hit our target. It's frustrating at first. In the long run, we get used to it.
  • When we use the "Start" menu to choose our level, we start the new environment with our health bar and our previous equipment. It is the same when we die, we recover our secondary weapon.
  • Secondary weapons do not appear to drop randomly. They drop according to the number of level uploads (to be confirmed). It may be necessary to start over 4 times "Chapel" to find the protective spellbook.
  • The more we load to new levels, the more powerful our whip becomes.
  • Arriving in front of "Medusa" , there is a freeze. It must certainly correspond to a cutscene not inserted in the beta. Upon killing the boss, an emblem appears. By taking it, the demo relaunches from the Konami logo this time with the player's indications (life bar) previously present in the game only. It will no longer be possible to face the Gorgon again.
  • By using a joystick in port "2" , pressing "Start" activates the "Free Camera" mode. You will have to hold "Y" to go up, "A" to go forward, "X" to go back, "B" to go down and the directional cross to orient yourself. The left trigger makes the movements faster.
  • Edit : Whip and sub-weapons (items) have a charge attack. Holding X or B will fill the blue bar to remove it. The sub-weapon charge performs an object crash, taking more hearts and performing a unique move (Thanks to GigaBoots for this feedback).

:arrow: Source

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Forgetting, the dc was subpar of current gen (ps1/n64) with a few aaa breaking games.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Not only was Dreamcast NOT subpar to PS1 or N64, it was the FIRST console of the NEXT generation... and in most cases the Dreamcast versions of multi-plat titles were better than the PS2 ports, and sometimes better than Gamecube and Xbox (although there aren't as many multi-plats that apply on those systems).
Get a Dreamcast and educate yourself before spouting shit.

If you want people not to quote your stupid comments, maybe try educate yourself before acting like an ass, and stop been so angry over nothing.

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: Silent_Gunner

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I've explained on another topic.

After some discussions internally during days and nights with other people and members of the scene, the dump files were done way before the bidding and provided to a trustworthy person who kept it to a safe place for professional preservation purposes.
The original owner asked us how to perform the best dump possible.

The eBay bidding was canceled as people tried to threaten and done false copyright claims on the proto and parts of the code/music.

The disc was sold privately to a Castlevania collector some days after and the proto dump files were passed on to that trustworthy person who was in charge of the release after the conclusion of the deal.
The final price of the proto disc remains undisclosed at the moment and will be keep confidential; knowing who bought the disc, it will most probably never reappeared.

We were called early in the process for cracking the security on the original extracted code and in order to remove the necessity of a System 2 Boot Disc (a special disc used for developers, beta testers and press reviews).

We could hack further inside the boot files and reconnect the correct functions for booting the corridor section in the future, but decided to let it unpatched for the moment.
Good, now maybe this game can return to obscurity because it is barely playable.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have no idea what you're talking about. Not only was Dreamcast NOT subpar to PS1 or N64, it was the FIRST console of the NEXT generation... and in most cases the Dreamcast versions of multi-plat titles were better than the PS2 ports, and sometimes better than Gamecube and Xbox (although there aren't as many multi-plats that apply on those systems).
Get a Dreamcast and educate yourself before spouting shit.
another one that cant read, mostly its games (multi platform) were subpar to current gen, meaning the gameplay style was the same, meaning games like castlevania..... this is how it was back then.

and your complately wrong to think the dc was better ports than ps2/cube, its hardware was nothing close to these systems, dont get me wrong the DC was good (i own 3 of them still) but lets be realistic here, it was stuck in the old times, models on majority of games was bad.

now lets not focus on the odd few top titles, look "actually" look at the rest of its games, illbleed, the ring, blue stinger, nightmare creatures 2 (which gameplay is just like this beta).

end of the day, lets not all get our knickers in a twist over some snowflake getting angry over been quoted off his post, loads of games back then was like this, loads of games in beta are just basic maps with basic features as its to test run the game engine, then they add to it.

to say why pitch a shit game like this and expect it to be picked up, then admitting to have never played castlevania games when it first entered the 3d world on the n64 to have noticed this was pretty much what they were like....... referencing this beta (and dc games "gameplay") been subpar to last gen, so why expect this to be any different.

the dc did have some gems, but as a collector i would never kick off and act like a child to demand its games was superior to the games the other systems got, visually you can see this.

but lets leave it yea, end of the day this was toward a comment over someone bitching over a beta (clearly doesnt know what a beta is, if he did, then why have such high expectations of a beta and what gameplay was like back then)

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
another one that cant read, mostly its games (multi platform) were subpar to current gen, meaning the gameplay style was the same, meaning games like castlevania..... this is how it was back then.

and your complately wrong to think the dc was better ports than ps2/cube, its hardware was nothing close to these systems, dont get me wrong the DC was good (i own 3 of them still) but lets be realistic here, it was stuck in the old times, models on majority of games was bad.

I can read just fine thanks. You stated (as quoted) that DC was subpar of current gen (PS1 and N64)... and as I stated, not only was it NOT in that generation, but it was massively superior.
In terms of it's image resolution and video output it still looks better than all of the competition in it's ACTUAL console generation (aside from the few Xbox games that ran at 720p). The original Soul Calibur still looks better on DC than the sequel does on PS2, GC and Xbox. Compare DoA2 on DC to PS2 and seriously tell me that the PS2 version is better. Despite being the clear 'winner' of its generation, the PS2 was the weakest in terms of its hardware.
As for "gameplay style"... wut? Who cares - a good game's a good game, and the DC was no more "stuck in the old times" than any of its competition was. The only difference being that the DC, unfortunately, didn't see the longevity of its competition to experience 'new game styles' develop.

It's possibly my favourite console gen, and I love each system for different reasons. Dreamcast would rate as my favourite of the generation if it had lived long enough to have a larger library (if Sega had stayed in the hardware game they wouldn't have made games for the competition, so some of the best Sega multi-plats that came out would've surfaced as DC exclusives... Super Monkey Ball, Outrun Coast 2 Coast, Yakuza, etc).

ez-prosounds

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
its hardware was nothing close to these systems

Sega Dreamcast had deferred rendering waaay waay before that was a thing. CPU that was really close to that of PS2 (DC being released year before PS2). Hardware was actually pretty close to these systems. It was also compatible with Capcom and Sega arcade systems (Sega Naomi compatibility). It had same amount of memory as PS2. It basically was matching PS2 on paper plus had much more friendly dev environment. It supported Visual C++ cause of custom OS based on Windows CE (w/ modified version of DirectX). That little guy was pretty much capable to trade blows with PS2 and GC only if developers were longer and better exposed to it. Problem was that SEGA was already on the downfall. One of the most creative, visually and aesthetically impressive games I've ever played came on that system.

now lets not focus on the odd few top titles, look "actually" look at the rest of its games, illbleed, the ring, blue stinger, nightmare creatures 2 (which gameplay is just like this beta).

end of the day, lets not all get our knickers in a twist over some snowflake getting angry over been quoted off his post, loads of games back then was like this, loads of games in beta are just basic maps with basic features as its to test run the game engine, then they add to it.

I wouldn't say for LOL - Lack of Love, Rez, Bangai-O that these were just demos.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can read just fine thanks. You stated (as quoted) that DC was subpar of current gen (PS1 and N64)... and as I stated, not only was it NOT in that generation, but it was massively superior.
In terms of it's image resolution and video output it still looks better than all of the competition in it's ACTUAL console generation (aside from the few Xbox games that ran at 720p). The original Soul Calibur still looks better on DC than the sequel does on PS2, GC and Xbox. Compare DoA2 on DC to PS2 and seriously tell me that the PS2 version is better. Despite being the clear 'winner' of its generation, the PS2 was the weakest in terms of its hardware.
As for "gameplay style"... wut? Who cares - a good game's a good game, and the DC was no more "stuck in the old times" than any of its competition was. The only difference being that the DC, unfortunately, didn't see the longevity of its competition to experience 'new game styles' develop.

It's possibly my favourite console gen, and I love each system for different reasons. Dreamcast would rate as my favourite of the generation if it had lived long enough to have a larger library (if Sega had stayed in the hardware game they wouldn't have made games for the competition, so some of the best Sega multi-plats that came out would've surfaced as DC exclusives... Super Monkey Ball, Outrun Coast 2 Coast, Yakuza, etc).
as you failed to read again, i referred to the games, the type of games (not graphics or hardware).

anyway repeat again, i quoted to a jackass moaning about a beta demo, you strange people seem to get all pissy and blow it off topic and claim i said something that i never, you just lack the ability to read and go off on a tantrum.

end of the day, i couldn't give two shits to be honest, i enjoy playing my DC still, i just wont go bitching about a beta demo for having the type of gameplay that was what we had back then (yes, the dc castlevania game play still "subpar" to that what we had on the N64)

not our problem that the numpty never played the n64 version and some reason expected a new game been made around the same time to be anything different, when other and many other DC games had similar game play.

that was the only point i was making

Last edited by ,

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last I checked, companies will only approve proof of concepts if they look like they have potential as a finished game. Clunky combat and underwhelming visuals don't scream "approve me, I have potential!
If you’ve ever played any of these leaked previews they’re all kind of like this. None of them have smooth polished gameplay. You’re just sort of being an ass for no reason

D

Deleted User

as you failed to read again, i referred to the games, the type of games (not graphics or hardware).

anyway repeat again, i quoted to a jackass moaning about a beta demo, you strange people seem to get all pissy and blow it off topic and claim i said something that i never, you just lack the ability to read and go off on a tantrum.

end of the day, i couldn't give two shits to be honest, i enjoy playing my DC still, i just wont go bitching about a beta demo for having the type of gameplay that was what we had back then (yes, the dc castlevania game play still "subpar" to that what we had on the N64)

not our problem that the numpty never played the n64 version and some reason expected a new game been made around the same time to be anything different, when other and many other DC games had similar game play.

that was the only point i was making
Yes, I know that. I read that. I was also saying that artists had already become familiar with the hardware and could make assets of significantly higher quality than that of an N64 or PSX title.

D

Deleted User

If you’ve ever played any of these leaked previews they’re all kind of like this. None of them have smooth polished gameplay. You’re just sort of being an ass for no reason
I'm an ass for being unimpressed by a proof of concept for a cancelled game? I said it didn't look very impressive or like a full triple-a product following this groundwork would be anything very good. Is there something wrong with that?

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm an ass for being unimpressed by a proof of concept for a cancelled game? I said it didn't look very impressive or like a full triple-a product following this groundwork would be anything very good. Is there something wrong with that?
The fact you missing the fact games which i stated were subpar to the last gen, as i gave examples, shadowman, nightmare creatures, during the same time, why would you have high expectations of a beta that followed the same style as the n64 games.

You do know also, betas are very basic, a test run to see how the engine functions, basic features.

Back then, games started off as just a basic map with no details and just the player model running about, doing things to see how it works, then they throw in other features.

But to the point, castlevania beta demo and its not to high standards..... no shit, its mechanisms are that of the same used in the n64 games.

Id agree kinda if it was a final cut, but even then, it shows better models and textures which is pretty much to standard with a fair majoroty of dc games.

Your complaining/moaning over a beta ffs.

Take a look at dinosaur planet beta on n64, again terrible compared to starfox, but for the console hardware its pretty impressive.

Take resident evil 2 gba, again terrible, but still impressive that it could have been possible.

This could have been a pretty decent game if it got further.

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You’re an ass for how you’re acting. You’re acting like an ass. I don’t care you’re unimpressed by it no one does. But people have been looking for this for almost 20 years and it’s pretty neat. Instead you come here to shit on something you never had interest in about a topic you don’t know anything about. It’s really obnoxious

Attachments

• 3B9BE6CB-BABB-4DF5-A82A-2342B4E5F12A.png
    3B9BE6CB-BABB-4DF5-A82A-2342B4E5F12A.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 154
D

Deleted User

You’re an ass for how you’re acting. You’re acting like an ass. I don’t care you’re unimpressed by it no one does. But people have been looking for this for almost 20 years and it’s pretty neat. Instead you come here to shit on something you never had interest in about a topic you don’t know anything about. It’s really obnoxious
I was mildly interested in this game, and I was disappointing to see how poor and small this was. I don't see a problem with that. I like the Dreamcast, I like Castlevania, and I find the N64 Castlevania games... interesting to say the very least. I was interested in what this game would be like. Is there a problem with that? Have I done something wrong? Have I offended anyone? I was unimpressed by a prototype of an unreleased game. I'm not seeing how that can offend someone, I'm really not.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was mildly interested in this game, and I was disappointing to see how poor and small this was. I don't see a problem with that. I like the Dreamcast, I like Castlevania, and I find the N64 Castlevania games... interesting to say the very least. I was interested in what this game would be like. Is there a problem with that? Have I done something wrong? Have I offended anyone? I was unimpressed by a prototype of an unreleased game. I'm not seeing how that can offend someone, I'm really not.
Its a fucking beta look up what betas are ffs.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact you missing the fact games which i stated were subpar to the last gen, as i gave examples, shadowman, nightmare creatures, during the same time, why would you have high expectations of a beta that followed the same style as the n64 games.

You do know also, betas are very basic, a test run to see how the engine functions, basic features.

Back then, games started off as just a basic map with no details and just the player model running about, doing things to see how it works, then they throw in other features.

But to the point, castlevania beta demo and its not to high standards..... no shit, its mechanisms are that of the same used in the n64 games.

Id agree kinda if it was a final cut, but even then, it shows better models and textures which is pretty much to standard with a fair majoroty of dc games.

Your complaining/moaning over a beta ffs.

Take a look at dinosaur planet beta on n64, again terrible compared to starfox, but for the console hardware its pretty impressive.

Take resident evil 2 gba, again terrible, but still impressive that it could have been possible.

This could have been a pretty decent game if it got further.

Yare yare daze...

I'm in agreement with HylianBran in that the game looks unimpressive, but mainly because I've played a little bit of the N64 Castlevania game, saw the screenshots of this game back on Castlevania Dungeon back in the day, and based on what I saw then, and what I've seen from the vids posted here, this game would've only thrown more cement on Konami's inability to make a 3D Castlevania game themselves that could impress in the way Devil May Cry 1 did back in the day, a game that, if you were to swap music out for Castlevania music, it wouldn't look too out of place.

As for the DC being subpar, I think your inability to put together a statement that reads like a well-informed statement written in proper English is hurting your ability to express yourself better, because the Dreamcast, as a whole, is more powerful than the N64 and PS1. Let me put it like this: did either of those two systems get ports of Quake III Arena or Unreal Tournament 99 that actually released, because I know Unreal 1 was apparently in development to some extent on the PS1 back in the day, but it never released, probably because porting down to the system by that point would have been like making an entirely different game.

Also, betas != alphas. To me, this game is more of an alpha; they planned to have not just Sonia as a playable character, but a new Belmont named Victor. And considering how early this game looks, animates, sounds (just a generic loop?), and functions, I'd say that this game didn't make it too far in development. Look at Resident Evil 1.5: clearly, the game has a lot of basic functions working to the point where you can at least play the game. Finish it? No, but it's much further along in development than this build of an otherwise forgotten little blurb in a magazine was.

Dinosaur Planet originally had nothing to do with Star Fox.

There's tech demos for various systems that are used for all kinds of things in their time frame. Just because you can "port" something to a system doesn't mean you always should, and that even if one does something super impressive like with the GBC port of RE1, who's to say it'd sell? Granted, I'd have taken that over whatever was going on with Resident Evil Gaiden, but still.

Learn to write better. Unless you're lying, you live in the US of A, so either you weren't paying attention in English class, or your English teacher/education sucked, because you're having problems communicating your points when you write weirdly worded statements like, "another one that cant read, mostly its games (multi platform) were subpar to current gen, meaning the gameplay style was the same, meaning games like castlevania..... this is how it was back then." would be getting red marks by any one who's rigorously peer reviewing your papers.

Lack of capitalization, not really explaining your points, and frankly, accusing others of not being able to accurately comprehend statements that aren't even written out very well. There's people who live in nations on this forum where English isn't their first language, but they can put together better statements and sentences in something closer to proper English than you can!

Reactions: duwen

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn this conversation really derailed from the original post, didn't it?

What is a forum post? *drinks from wineglass* A miserable little pile of bickering and shitslinging! *tosses wine glass to the floor, with it shattering upon impact*

But enough bickering, discuss at you!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's always cool to see new prototypes released to the public, giving people a chance to try out what would otherwise be a complete loss and waste of time, so at least it's not a total waste. I don't know why this didn't get released, guess it was the Dreamcast's early demise? But 3D Castlevania games did not seem to be terribly popular so maybe it wasn't a huge loss. I'm sure they have some dedicated fans but everyone knows Castlevania works best in 2D. They never seemed to figure out how to get it to work equally well in 3D.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here