Prototype found for long lost Dreamcast title “Castlevania: Resurrection”

Back at E3 1999, Konami demoed a new Castlevania title for the Dreamcast, Castlevania: Resurrection. It was meant to be a soft reboot of sorts, focusing on Sonia Belmont and a new character, Victor Belmont. (A character with this name later appeared in Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2.) Set in 1666, it would have taken place before the original Castlevania, and would have featured a time travel storyline to fit in the 1800s-era vampire hunter Victor. It was being developed by Konami’s internal Japan team and was a 3D game. Sometime after the demo, it was quietly cancelled, reportedly due to Konami’s lack of confidence in the Dreamcast.

However, a prototype version has appeared online, sent anonymously to French website Sega Dreamcast Preservation Info. It features five levels that, due to how early the build is, don’t connect to each other, but are all selectable from the main menu, though one level won’t load.

As of now, the prototype only exists online through photos and video. Sega Dreamcast Preservation Info warns that this may be as far as it goes, as they do not know what the original owner’s intentions are with the prototype.

:arrow: Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I gotta say, 2021 has been the year of betas and prototypes. We're seeing truckloads of content that was previously seen only by a select few, or on an old VHS tape from a convention. Always nice to see all those cancelled projects seeing the light of day, just to see what could've been.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
so is their a publicly released dump? Not asking for a link, i just want to know if its out there. I want to try this out.
My french is poor, but I believe it is stated on the info page that there is not.
Something about the provider not stating clear if it is ok dumping material.

But I'm sure that probably someone took a nice, healthy dump.

limpbiz411

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My french is poor, but I believe it is stated on the info page that there is not.
Something about the provider not stating clear if it is ok dumping material.

But I'm sure that probably someone took a nice, healthy dump.
ah thanks, I'll keep a lookout for it. I'm sure they will come the their senses.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, Dreamcast. That console has had quite a following after it's failure to make it in sales. Even though I don't know if there are Dreamcast emulators out there that would play it (there probably are, but I'm too lazy to look it up), this Castlevania title is quite a find!

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wow, Dreamcast. That console has had quite a following after it's failure to make it in sales. Even though I don't know if there are Dreamcast emulators out there that would play it (there probably are, but I'm too lazy to look it up), this Castlevania title is quite a find!
To be fair, the DC had a record-breaking launch... and then the PS2 happened. Nothing could stop the black monolith.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol