Gaming 900K 3DS-es in Europe at launch, but what afterwards ?

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
According to news (rumours ?), there will be only 900.000 3DS units available in Europe at launch.

I get that, but was just wondering how long will we have to wait until 3DS is in regular, continuous supply ? So that anyone could just pop into a random market and pick one from the shelf ? Nintendo would be stupid if they did not respond to the mass demand for the latest shiny gadget...

Anyone remembers how did it go with DS' premiere ?

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
R2DJ said:
Do the 3DS consoles pre-ordered by online count to the "900K by launch" (grammar fail?)
Take out the first "by", add "ward" onto the "to" and no fail.

Yes, that's what pre-orders are.
Orders on the First Shipment.
Preemptive Order; to have your order take preference over the order of others.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Nollog said:
R2DJ said:
Do the 3DS consoles pre-ordered by online count to the "900K by launch" (grammar fail?)
Take out the first "by", add "ward" onto the "to" and no fail.

Yes, that's what pre-orders are.
Orders on the First Shipment.
Preemptive Order; to have your order take preference over the order of others.
Ahhhh "towards" was the word that I was looking for. Thanks for the clarification
smile.gif

Oooh...gotta go and pre-order then ASAP. I'm waiting for my NUS card so I can pay less than the cheapest price around right now.

D

Deleted-188346

pachura said:
According to news (rumours ?), there will be only 900.000 3DS units available in Europe at launch.

I get that, but was just wondering how long will we have to wait until 3DS is in regular, continuous supply ? So that anyone could just pop into a random market and pick one from the shelf ? Nintendo would be stupid if they did not respond to the mass demand for the latest shiny gadget...

Totally unknown, really. Only Nintendo would know, and there is nothing to be gained by releasing further information beyond the first shipment number.
And, as terrible as it is, Nintendo can choose to be crummy with the stock if they want to. Nobody will disregard the system entirely based on how hard it is to find.
Of course, they can't be too crummy.

The best that we can all do, is to try and reserve it at the best price we can.

Obviously, though, it's going to be a nightmare to get a 3DS on the following days/weeks/months after its release.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Puppy_Washer said:
pachura said:

Totally unknown, really. Only Nintendo would know, and there is nothing to be gained by releasing further information beyond the first shipment number.
The best that we can all do, is to try and reserve it at the best price we can.

I imagine it's going to be a nightmare to get a 3DS on the following days/weeks/months after its release.
I wanted to wait for the red 3DS but I've decided to pre-order it just to be safe. I remember waiting at least half a year for Wii Fit to be in stock here in the UK.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I just assumed withholding stock to drive up demand is illegal.
It's pretty much the same end result as price-fixing, which is illegal.

I did google for information after my post, but all I got was "is it illegal for my employer to withhold my wages", lol.
So really no idea if it's illegal or not.
I'm just using logic. I could be wrong.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
this is why one should preorder
now my only worry is that there wont be enough for those who preordered
aka gamestop didnt count right
then what would happen?
would it be like where there wasnt enough superbowl seats for all who bought tickets
they payed them back triple
will we get some deal like half off if they dont have enough?

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bigpaws said:
this is why one should preorder
now my only worry is that there wont be enough for those who preordered
aka gamestop didnt count right
then what would happen?
would it be like where there wasnt enough superbowl seats for all who bought tickets
they payed them back triple
will we get some deal like half off if they dont have enough?

HAHA I would love them to be short, considering I paid the whole price and not a downpayment, and get 3 times the price back. Oh how nice it is to dream about such nice things
smile.gif

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
awssk8er said:
Slyakin said:
This is similar to the Wii launch. Have a small number, and lure more people in.
Yeah, dawg. It's economics.

I don't really understand how withdrawing supply creates demand. You hype the product just to tell people they cannot actually buy it ?

I have nothing to do with economics, but if I wanted to lure people in, I would create an impression of the product being unique, luxurious, cool. You know - advertising ! Give it to Lady Gaga, make guest appearance in some family show, whatever. Apple is extremely good at this. Not even to mention that in Japan you don't even have to advertise 3DS - Japanese will instantly buy anything with Nintendo written on it.

Also, the main target of 3DS are kids and young people, usually casual gamers - simply because this is the biggest market. What kind of people will you get if you force them to preorder ? Nintendo die-hard fans, geeks, etc. (no offense). Usually, they will not lure more people in.

For me it's actually simpler - Nintendo is just late. The software is clearly not finished (missing eShop, Virtual Console, internet browser, who knows what else), and probably production lines are not yet capable of producing enough units. Especially that 3DS is not built from off-the-shelf components, but stuff customized especially for Nintendo... also, they had to release it before end of March due to financial constraints. Also, the later they release it, then the tougher the competition with NGP will be.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
pachura said:
awssk8er said:
Slyakin said:
This is similar to the Wii launch. Have a small number, and lure more people in.
Yeah, dawg. It's economics.

I don't really understand how withdrawing supply creates demand. You hype the product just to tell people they cannot actually buy it ?

I have nothing to do with economics, but if I wanted to lure people in, I would create an impression of the product being unique, luxurious, cool. You know - advertising ! Give it to Lady Gaga, make guest appearance in some family show, whatever. Apple is extremely good at this. Not even to mention that in Japan you don't even have to advertise 3DS - Japanese will instantly buy anything with Nintendo written on it.

Also, the main target of 3DS are kids and young people, usually casual gamers - simply because this is the biggest market. What kind of people will you get if you force them to preorder ? Nintendo die-hard fans, geeks, etc. (no offense). Usually, they will not lure more people in.

For me it's actually simpler - Nintendo is just late. The software is clearly not finished (missing eShop, Virtual Console, internet browser, who knows what else), and probably production lines are not yet capable of producing enough units. Especially that 3DS is not built from off-the-shelf components, but stuff customized especially for Nintendo... also, they had to release it before end of March due to financial constraints. Also, the later they release it, then the tougher the competition with NGP will be.
Basic human nature is to want something you can't have.
You couldn't have homebrew on the ds, so you made a flashcart.
You couldn't use the PS3's graphics card properly in OtherOS, so you made a hack to allow it.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nollog said:

I did google for information after my post, but all I got was "is it illegal for my employer to withhold my wages", lol.
It may be frustrating for the consumer but it's not illegal.
wink.gif

KinGamer7

Trophies
XP
Country
Nollog said:

Price-fixing involves more than one party. Essentially, two (or more) businesses form a collusion - an informal agreement where the parties involved secretly decide on a certain strategy that is deemed illegal due to its anti-competitive nature. One main strategy is to fix their prices in order to ultimately increase revenue and reduce competition. Consumers are forced to pay the higher prices simply because they have no alternative sources to purchase the product. This is illegal through and through, although it can be very difficult for official regulation bodies to actually prove that a collusion has occurred. It can take months, even years to compile enough evidence to substantiate any claims of such shady behaviour.

Supply and demand = market forces. The less you supply, the higher you can charge in order for your profits to meet (and usually exceed) your costs - otherwise known as breaking even. If you have an abundance of these products, the fixed costs involved in the manufacturing and production of the products are spread across each individual unit, as the company is benefiting from economies of scale. It's entirely possible that Nintendo simply cannot supply enough to sufficiently meet the demand (although the opposite can also be true). The limited stock drives up demand, the 3DS will sell out at a blisteringly high rate, profits will soar, and most importantly, the shareholders will have a nice little bonus on top of their dividends. In Japan, the fiscal year begins in April. By limiting their stock of 3DS's in February and March, sales will look mightily impressive, whilst conveniently stimulating more demand from the market which adequately guarantees strong profit figures for the future (as well as the following fiscal year). More sales -> more dividends for shareholders -> more investments for Nintendo -> everyone's happy. Except for those who wish to buy a 3DS on launch day without preordering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-