5.5.2 Browser with 5.5.1 vulnerability [CFW required]

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Create_, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    his second hope is in case he did a OTP/SEEPROM dump while being in an old firmware version, and kept these files!
    in that case, he can install haxchi by connecting a WiiU formatted HDD to his computer.

I don't have a lot of hope that he did, or have these files. looks like very few people dumped these data. I don't remember if hacking guide ever told the users to do it. It could be added.

2. Alvyssy

Alvyssy Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2017
    Italy
    I downgraded the mvplayer and my browser is stuck! Anyway how can I force an update? I'm such a d**khead, I don't have any dumps either

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

At least I hope that someone learns from my errors, one of them is this: I bricked my vwii and since then I had to resynchronize my wiimotes to the older Wii or use Dolphin

Last edited by Alvyssy, Aug 18, 2017
  3. BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    A different kind of question, can someone point out which functions inside the mvplayer.rpl have been changed to fix the vulnerability for learning purposes? :P

4. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you can't force an update if you are already on latest browser version and you downgraded only the movie player. sorry.
    you could fix it on NEXT wiiu firmware update, if it ever happens. no certitude.

BullyWiiPlaza : I didn't read any post here with that information.
    I guess you could decompile both rpl file version to compare them.
    I never did it myself (I don't have IDA Pro, but I know there's a plugin for WiiU files)

5. Alvyssy

Alvyssy Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2017
    Italy
    At this point I really hope that some sort of chrunyroll exploits come out so that I can restore my web browser

6. jbuck1975

jbuck1975 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    How did you access ftpiiu without haxachi to do the downgrade?

7. Alvyssy

Alvyssy Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2017
    Italy
    I used webhax, and when I succeded I opened Mocha and accessed the homebrew laucher through the forwarder on the wii u menĂ¹. With the CFW on I got the permissions on Ftp

8. BullyWiiPlaza

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    If only decompiling was a thing with PowerPC without terrible results. :P
    Disassembling is somewhat good enough though but comparing both files automatically is another problem to find the differences.
    Surely some people know that in detail since an exploit has been made from it.

Last edited by BullyWiiPlaza, Aug 18, 2017
  9. MousSe

MousSe Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2017
    France
    ARE YOU F*CKING SERIOUS !? You forgot to said we can't do it on IOS Hax ! Now the Internet Browser Freeze when I launch !!!!!!!!

10. BullyWiiPlaza

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    Anyone who can read is clearly in the advantage :P

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  11. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    That was added yesterday :P.
    Check the Edit label at the bottom of the OP

MousSe likes this.
  12. BullyWiiPlaza

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    This guy commented after it has been edited so he was supposed to see it.

13. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    and like I said, even if the header wasn't there, the guide SPECIFICALLY SAID : You NEED HAXCHI OR CBHC !
    you didn't have a signature patcher utility you could use BEFORE launching the browser? then you didn't read or followed the guide correctly.

I thought "die" was too strong and asked the author to change that word, as we don't expect nor hope or wish death to our users, but that's connotation to console bricking. your console (semi)died. you just lost the browser, not the other console's features.
    that message was here from the start.

Sorry for your console too, but users should follow the guides correctly, not read half of it. the warning didn't change the way the guide works, it's still good and the same than before, for both 5.5.1 AND 5.5.2
    the warning I added to the top is only for users who can't read text NOT IN RED.

Same question than previous user : Did you get your OTP and SEEPROM dump ? if not, then you can't do anything.
    if you did it, then you can install haxchi from your computer without the browser.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 18, 2017
    BullyWiiPlaza likes this.
  14. MousSe

MousSe Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2017
    France
    I had an acces to the homebrew launcher without haxchi, I try the internet browser downgrade and now when I try to launch it, it freeze. I need to wait a wii.u update or a new exploit.

15. ShadowOne333

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Try to force an update of the console.
    Perhaps that will restore the browser.

If you can do that, then try to use the newly released exploit for 5.5.2 browsers, and use that to install Haxchi.

16. MousSe

MousSe Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2017
    France
    I use the internert browser exploit for 5.5.2 to try to downgrade, but how I can force an update ? Or if someone know how to reset my wii u without erase my save because when I want to do that, it said I can't access saves I place in my usb storage.

17. ShadowOne333

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Go to Settings, and then go to Update.
    Perhaps that should prompt you to update the console.

if not, then try to backup your saves in something like a USB drive or something, and then do a format of the system.
    That's the only thing I can think of right now which might be able to get you out of the problem.

18. MousSe

MousSe Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2017
    France
    I try before this message appear... I ask help NOW !

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I can do that but the save can't be used after the operation. But I don't know if saves are compatible with the save owner. I'm going to try if crunchyhax is not release.

BullyWiiPlaza likes this.
  19. MousSe

MousSe Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2017
    France
    How I can force an update ? My console is already on 5.5.2... And I made a backup of my saves, but I don't know if it going to be usable a reset.

20. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you can't force an update.
    you are already on latest firmware version, and your browser is already on latest version too.
    only one module is downgraded, not the browser, so the console will not detect that it can be updated.

your only chance to fix it is :
    - hope there's a new console update (5.5.3), but it will certainly patch the 5.5.2 browser exploit. not very useful to hack the console, but useful to get browser access back.
    - you did a OTP and SEEPROM dump of your console before doing anything dangerous to your NAND. in that case you can install haxchi from your computer.
    - you did a full NAND dump (software or hardware), and you can restore it with hardware. though, if you did it from software maybe you have your OTP/SEEPROM already, you can follow step 2 instead.
    - wait until there's a new entry point in another app (crunchy roll? if it's not a joke since the beginning). that's probably the best you can do while staying on 5.5.2

that's all. you can't fix it in any other way (for now).

note: Formating the system will not help.
    it's deleting installed eShop titles and savegames.
    it's not deleting system app, and reinstalling them from nowhere as source. the console doesn't keep a "firmware re-installer" file.
    it's also modifying your SEEPROM console's seed for encryption, you'll lose access to your USB backup savegames !!

format is not an option to fix something, it's an option to DELETE and LOSE everything from current users, for example to sell the console to ANOTHER user.
    all data are lost and can't be recovered. (unless, you have SEEPROM dump to access USB on your computer)

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 19, 2017
    MousSe likes this.