TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Metroid Prime Hunters sucked balls and looked like shit too (minus the cutscenes).
I somewhat agree, but the problems most people had with Hunters (from what I've read) were the stylus controls and the linearity and repetition. The first problem could easily be fixed with a second analog pad, and the second problem has nothing to do with the technical power (and everything to do with poor design).

Personally, I thought the game looked great for the hardware it was on, but to each their own. Regardless of how bad it looked or not though, that's a poor argument for why such a game couldn't work on hardware as exponentially more powerful as the 3DS, IMO.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Metroid Prime Hunters sucked balls and looked like shit too (minus the cutscenes).
I somewhat agree, but the problems most people had with Hunters (from what I've read) were the stylus controls and the linearity and repetition. The first problem could easily be fixed with a second analog pad, and the second problem has nothing to do with the technical power (and everything to do with poor design).

Personally, I thought the game looked great for the hardware it was on, but to each their own. Regardless of how bad it looked or not though, that's a poor argument for why such a game couldn't work on hardware as exponentially more powerful as the 3DS, IMO.

No I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said it wouldn't work that great and wouldn't offer the experience people would want from an FPS.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
No I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said it wouldn't work that great and wouldn't offer the experience people would want from an FPS.
Indeed, I did misquote you. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I haven't played any of the FPSes on the 3DS (except the Revelations and Snake Eater demos), so I can't really speak personally, but did you think Revelations and Snake Eater were bad games? Revelations seems to get a lot of praise, and Snake Eater seems to be viewed as a great console port, from my perspective.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Indeed, I did misquote you. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I haven't played any of the FPSes on the 3DS (except the Revelations and Snake Eater demos), so I can't really speak personally, but did you think Revelations and Snake Eater were bad games? Revelations seems to get a lot of praise, and Snake Eater seems to be viewed as a great console port, from my perspective.
Snake Eater isn't an FPS and neither is Revelations although the latter does show that an FPS would be possible on the system (quality of visuals and controls in the game).

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted_171835

OP
Except there's really not a point for sports games or FPS', the 3DS isn't tech strong enough to really offer that experience. If those games do come out, with a second analog, people are going to bitch anyways. Maybe on the Vita sports titles and FPS' would fit great, on the 3DS, it'd be a bad decision.
The PSP got some good FPS games despite being inferior to the 3DS in power. The only issue there was the lack of a second analog stick which isn't much of an issue here due to gyro controls, touch-screen and even the Circle Pad Pro.

Power isn't even an issue with FPS games. Do you not remember Quake or even the first Half Life? Not to mention the numerous DS FPS games that were decent (COD DS, yes I played those) despite it being N64-level hardware?

Oh and the 3DS is indeed capable of an FPS game with good visuals, just look at Revelations for an example.

And guess what, the 3DS got sports games (PES and Fifa) as did the PSP (with NBA 2K) and those games are just fine.

Making an FPS game or a sports game for the 3DS wouldn't be a bad decision. It would be a good decision due to the much larger userbase.

Reactions: 2 people

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The PSP got some good FPS games despite being inferior to the 3DS in power. The only issue there was the lack of a second analog stick which isn't much of an issue here due to gyro controls, touch-screen and even the Circle Pad Pro.

Power isn't even an issue with FPS games. Do you not remember Quake or even the first Half Life? Not to mention the numerous DS FPS games that were decent (COD DS, yes I played those) despite it being N64-level hardware?

Oh and the 3DS is indeed capable of an FPS game with good visuals, just look at Revelations for an example.
Revelations isn't a First Person Shooter though. Not that I doubt your point that it's perfectly possible to make such a game, but if you're going to argue for FPS games then don't show off a Third Person Shooter.

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Seriously Metroid PH was AWESOME if you look at DS hardware limitations.The touchscreen control kicked ass
Music?awesome too:) The only things that sucked were the pixelated cutscenes and MP mode

Reactions: 1 person

rafaelluik

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
my.opera.com
XP
Country
Brazil
3DS will only be interesting to me when they release a slimmer version
How slim are you expecting it to be? The original is already almost as slim as a DSLite, and features much stronger hardware and a bigger top screen. That's pushing the limits of its slimness already, I imagine.
By slimmer I meant the smallest size possible while maintaining the original (or almost) screen size.
I think technology evolved and there is a way.

Compare it to the hardware of my phone... HTC EVO 3D. Smaller, slimmer, bigger screen, more RAM, CPU, better cameras, flash, even better GPU it seems.

I see it'd be hard to make it smaller in length because of the physical buttons but still...

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
By slimmer I meant the smallest size possible while maintaining the original (or almost) screen size.
I think technology evolved and there is a way.

Compare it to the hardware of my phone... HTC EVO 3D. Smaller, slimmer, bigger screen, more RAM, CPU, better cameras, flash, even better GPU it seems.

I see it'd be hard to make it smaller in length because of the physical buttons but still...
You also have to remember that there's no flip-closing screen on your HTC Evo 3D. Also, There needs to be a way to comfortably grip those buttons, and if it's too thin, it won't be. I have a similarly-sized Samsung Epic with a slideout keyboard, and not only is it significantly thicker than the keyboard-less HTC phones, but it's not fit for gaming on the keyboard, either. It's great for typing, but whenever i played emulators with the keyboard, my hands would cramp up because there was too small of a grip.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
My hand thinks otherwise.
I think the touch screen control was good, just uncomfortable. That said, I've been able to fix all my touch screen aiming problems with these two babies...

20101219201020121.jpg

the-comfort-stylus-20060410045841826-000.jpg
They both work infinitely better than the DS thumbstrap. The one in the former picture is more mobile (I keep it for on-the-go use looped to my carabiner key clip), but the latter aims more accurately and feels like a real stylus, so I use that at home. There's also a couple more I don't have that I want to try, too.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
My hand thinks otherwise.
I think the touch screen control was good, just uncomfortable. That said, I've been able to fix all my touch screen aiming problems with these two babies...

20101219201020121.jpg

the-comfort-stylus-20060410045841826-000.jpg
They both work infinitely better than the DS thumbstrap. The one in the former picture is more mobile (I keep it for on-the-go use looped to my carabiner key clip), but the latter aims more accurately and feels like a real stylus, so I use that at home. There's also a couple more I don't have that I want to try, too.
I've got the one shown in the first pic, should be a pack in with every 3DS/DS unit imo.
However, I'm interested in getting the stylus in the second pic, where did you get yours?

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I've got the one shown in the first pic, should be a pack in with every 3DS/DS unit imo.
However, I'm interested in getting the stylus in the second pic, where did you get yours?
Surprisingly enough, I picked up the 2nd one at Gamestop in a stylus pack that came with a DSLite stylus, a DSi stylus, and that stylus in the pic. It's called "the comfort stylus," and you can pick it up on either Amazon, or the website http://www.thumbstylus.net/

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Surprisingly enough, I picked up the 2nd one at Gamestop in a stylus pack that came with a DSLite stylus, a DSi stylus, and that stylus in the pic. It's called "the comfort stylus," and you can pick it up on either Amazon, or the website http://www.thumbstylus.net/
Amazon UK doesn't ship that item to my country, looks like thumbstylus.net doesn't do ship to sweden either.
Damn, I'm out of luck. D:

Sorry for the off-topic chat

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Amazon UK doesn't ship that item to my country, looks like thumbstylus.net doesn't do ship to sweden either.
Damn, I'm out of luck. D:
I'm sorry, man. But the one you have works fine, honestly. The comfort stylus is nice, but it's not very portable, and since it's made of bendy copper wire, you can't really over bend it too much or it'll break. So I just have it permanently bent in a position to fit my finger, and keep it on my desk for whenever I'm home.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Hands on impressions:
http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=480104

Great, tantalizing info here.
ex.
- the screen looks good, very good
- while the image looked worse on a DSiXL than on a DSi, it's not the case here. 3DSXL pixels look as defined as on 3DS.
- the screen seems very luminous
- 3D effect is more comfortable and more immediate
- the analog stick is more convenient to use, no need to bend your thumb anymore
HD video:

Preordered.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.