Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
pachura said:
Let's circlejerk some more over a graphics chip which noone has ever seen in real life, which probably is going to be downclocked to save battery life, which doesn't do OpenGL 2.0 and doesn't have programmable pixel shaders. There are chances that every game will have the same look because of limited set of embedded shaders coders can choose from... no, really. The fact that there is a Pica200 version capable of 400 Mpix/s doesn't necessarily mean that this exact model will be used in 3DS.
Prove it.
I second this motion. Pachura, do you think Nintendo as a company is stupid. You don't think they would show case the great looking games they did, and NOT live up to the proper consumer expectations? It's a handheld, so sue Sony, and Apple, and the Android handhelds as well. Keep in mind though, that 2 out of three of those do not produce dedicated gaming devices, and the 3rd is pretty much moving from that. I think it's safe to say, that Nintendo has most of the details ironed out, and that the 3DS will live up to consumer expectation, and not cuntsumer flatuations.

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nutella said:
Leaving specs out for a moment, consider this. The Pandora was a product designed three years ago, more or less. Simply put, it's dated. Things that made sense back then really don't make as much sense today. The hardware keyboard, for example, is something that is IMO unnecessary and only adds to the bulks of the machine. With iOS and Android finally becoming mainsteam and well supported, it won't be long until some kind of detachable controller comes out for a lot of devices that can already have the software. (I know about iControlPad, but I haven't followed the project in a while)
I think the hardware keyboard makes perfect sense for a pandora, I doubt n64/psx emulation is enjoyable on a all touch screen based control system,

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
murkurie said:
nutella said:
Leaving specs out for a moment, consider this. The Pandora was a product designed three years ago, more or less. Simply put, it's dated. Things that made sense back then really don't make as much sense today. The hardware keyboard, for example, is something that is IMO unnecessary and only adds to the bulks of the machine. With iOS and Android finally becoming mainsteam and well supported, it won't be long until some kind of detachable controller comes out for a lot of devices that can already have the software. (I know about iControlPad, but I haven't followed the project in a while)
I think the hardware keyboard makes perfect sense for a pandora, I doubt n64/psx emulation is enjoyable on a all touch screen based control system,
Which is the exact reason that it has gaming controls.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Let's circlejerk some more over a graphics chip which noone has ever seen in real life, which probably is going to be downclocked to save battery life, which doesn't do OpenGL 2.0 and doesn't have programmable pixel shaders. There are chances that every game will have the same look because of limited set of embedded shaders coders can choose from... no, really. The fact that there is a Pica200 version capable of 400 Mpix/s doesn't necessarily mean that this exact model will be used in 3DS.
this

the one in the 3DS will most likely be a heavily downgraded one

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Again, provide even a scrap of evidence. The time line for the finalization of the 3DS devkit (and the formation of Project Sora) corresponds roughly to the release of the 2008 Pica200. Additionally, the new model gives better performance at lower heat and power.

Now aside from baseless jaded cynicism, where's your evidence?

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm there is no fucking 'vs' the Pandora only has one weakness, I can't just go out and buy one in a store.

Not a 3DS you say? who the fuck cares. If you haven't thought of it I will say it, with nocash, you can play any damned Nintendo game made on it. It's a mini computer, and would be just as capable as this laptop, only it would fit in my pocket (whereas the laptop won't).

It being a computer, it owns the DS in anything the DS pretends to be able to do such as web browse. I've tried to use my DSi XL for web browsing, hehehe what a joke. Having a real key pad sure would help.

Being able to run emulators sure won't hurt, but remember, there are other things for using a hand held device than just games. And it having use of a USB port would be nice.

Not having games made FOR it is a pointless comment. I could play any low tech game on it, that my laptop can run. Not everyone wants to play the latest PC title. I have oodles of PC games I'd like to play on it that likely would run fine on Pandora.

Heck if this wasn't December and hence wallet [censored] month, I likely would drop the 350 to get one.

I've been bitching about wanting to play computer games on a hand held for a couple of years now. Pandora is essentially what I have been bitching for. A computer in my pocket.

Because some of us want a hand held computer in a pocket, not merely a hand held game toy made by Sony or Nintendo whom expect a shitload of cash so you can make games for it.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Ah, I love people who take subjective opinions and state them as fact. The thread its self is about the hardware capabilities, which is a valid topic, and you have failed to address. The Pandora is an amazing system, it really is. I followed the project for quite a while. But not having professional games developed for it is anything but pointless. You have seen the 3DS games being announced, and studios jumping on board by the week, right? Pandora will have squat of all that. And then there's the 3D screen and all, to which I'm sure you will say "who cares". This is not a very strong counter in general. Emulation compatibility will always be patchy, and the Pandora will only be able to play SNES and down with 100% compat. The 3DS will be getting ports, and Nintendo made emulators.

They both have ups and downs. To say with certainty that one is superior, especially given that one hasn't come out, and the other only has one batch out, is ridiculous.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
agree with Midna

@ Panzer Tacticer

Who say I want a computer in my pocket anyway, I might just want a portable dedicated or mostly dedicated to games. With a possibility that it will be hack to play SNES and down with 100% compatibility anyway with possible 3D addition. Hopefully
tongue.gif

A toy pssh...

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Sterl500 said:
Midna said:
pachura said:
Prove it.
I second this motion. Pachura, do you think Nintendo as a company is stupid. You don't think they would show case the great looking games they did, and NOT live up to the proper consumer expectations? It's a handheld, so sue Sony, and Apple, and the Android handhelds as well. Keep in mind though, that 2 out of three of those do not produce dedicated gaming devices, and the 3rd is pretty much moving from that. I think it's safe to say, that Nintendo has most of the details ironed out, and that the 3DS will live up to consumer expectation, and not cuntsumer flatuations.

As we all perfectly know, nothing can be proven at this moment, as Nintendo is keeping 3DS' hardware specs secret. Therefore, neither can you prove that they will use the last and the best Pica200 model available, nor I can disprove it. We can only speculate. Knowing Nintendo's past hardware strategy, it is really difficult for me to expect 3DS's GPU to be "a beast", as Midna's written...

Also, I don't agree screenshots from upcoming 3DS games look so breathtaking. Excluding Resident Evil and maybe one or two others, they look just slightly better than PSP.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update. Alas, the Pandora is all shiny and no substance. Took an indepth look at it on their forums, and had some questions answered and it simply can't fulfill the promise. Well to be more specific, its a great mini computer, but the OS can't speak to language of Post DOS games. No use to me then.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Sterl500 said:
Midna said:
pachura said:
Prove it.

As we all perfectly know, nothing can be proven at this moment, as Nintendo is keeping 3DS' hardware specs secret. Therefore, neither can you prove that they will use the last and the best Pica200 model available, nor I can disprove it. We can only speculate. Knowing Nintendo's past hardware strategy, it is really difficult for me to expect 3DS's GPU to be "a beast", as Midna's written...

Also, I don't agree screenshots from upcoming 3DS games look so breathtaking. Excluding Resident Evil and maybe one or two others, they look just slightly better than PSP.
Nintendo is always about lasting fun, while providing gameplay for all. They however realized that in today's gamers, graphics provide a big selling point. So they upped the ante to above PSP graphics. I predict that this will sate even the most hardcore palettes, while beating the pants off of the PSP2's battery life. Which we all know that the PSP2 will be a graphics whoring, insanely powerful handheld, that is only mildly more portable because it must be tethered to the wall by a 20ft (at least!) charger.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Umm, mate? I can't find the spec sheet for the 2006 Pica200, but last I checked, the 2008 version actually takes less power per MHz. The 2008 version takes 0.5-1mW/MHz. That's tiny for a GPU. And from recent leaks, the battery is 1300mAh. There's battery life to spare here. And it has that nice charging cradle. I don't think Nintendo will need to drastically limit themselves based on battery life.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Umm, mate? I can't find the spec sheet for the 2006 Pica200, but last I checked, the 2008 version actually takes less power per MHz. The 2008 version takes 0.5-1mW/MHz. That's tiny for a GPU. And from recent leaks, the battery is 1300mAh. There's battery life to spare here. And it has that nice charging cradle. I don't think Nintendo will need to drastically limit themselves based on battery life.
Well, just cut off my butt and add it to the wall then. I just made myself out to be an ass hatted, un-knowledgeable grunt if what you say is true. Hold on, Ninja edit:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again