3DS Touchscreen Unresponsive

Jesus Sarmiento

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me start by saying that this is a 3DS XL which i have not turned on for about 3 at least maybe 4 years. Reason being that the battery was just failing me and it would turn off even after a full charge. This 3DS has been hacked/modded/jailbroken, however you wanna call it, by myself back in maybe 2017 or 2016. It’s Luma but i don’t recall which one. The system firmware is 11.6.0-39U for reference i guess. Anyways with the coming end to 3DS eshop in march i thought it best to go back thru the old thing and see what if i might put everything i had on it onto a “New 3D XL” or 2DS XL, but then i find that i dont have the old sd card i used to use. I do have a spare one but it’s brand new so i’ve never used it before. Anyways let me get back to the point. This 3DS’s touchscreen doesn’t properly respond to touchscreen presses. What i mean is that if i press the bottom of the touchscreen, or anyway actually, it registers as if the top of the touchscreen is being pressed. I tried going into system settings to see if i ciuld recalibrate it but i cannot navigate it with the dpad, control stick, or face buttons. Only the touchscreen and even then the only thing it does is enter the Nintendo Network ID Settings even though i’m pressing Other Settings. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hold the buttons L + R + X while powering on the system, it will take you directly to the touch screen calibration menu instead of the HOME menu. Try again if it doesn't work the first time, you have to hold the buttons before you press the power button and the entire time until you see the calibration screen.

If you're unable to finish the calibration, try giving a good clean to the touch screen. Remove any dust and unwanted substances stuck in the corners and sides of the touch screen. Peel off any old screen protectors.

If nothing makes a difference, you'll probably have to replace the touch screen's touch panel. However, as a last resort, you can try offsetting your stylus touch inputs a bit from the displayed calibration points (especially the last middle one). It's an old trick that worked on old 3DS systems, and while it won't make the touch screen register inputs properly, it might allow you to finish and save the calibration in order to make the touch screen a bit more usable than what you described in your post.

Jesus Sarmiento

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold the buttons L + R + X while powering on the system, it will take you directly to the touch screen calibration menu instead of the HOME menu. Try again if it doesn't work the first time, you have to hold the buttons before you press the power button and the entire time until you see the calibration screen.

If you're unable to finish the calibration, try giving a good clean to the touch screen. Remove any dust and unwanted substances stuck in the corners and sides of the touch screen. Peel off any old screen protectors.

If nothing makes a difference, you'll probably have to replace the touch screen's touch panel. However, as a last resort, you can try offsetting your stylus touch inputs a bit from the displayed calibration points (especially the last middle one). It's an old trick that worked on old 3DS systems, and while it won't make the touch screen register inputs properly, it might allow you to finish and save the calibration in order to make the touch screen a bit more usable than what you described in your post.
So your suggestion did work and i was able to enter a calibration screen. It seems that the calibration marks keep cycling between top left, bottom right, and center. I’ve done about 6 or 7 cycles so far and i don’t know if it will do thaf if i touch outside of marks, i’ve been using the stylus to touch the marks
Post automatically merged:

I just tried touching outside the mark and i get the same cycle as a result. I don’t think it’s working, otherwise it might have completed. I do have the option to press B to cancel but I don’t think thats a solution either

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Try touching the center calibration point with a small offset to the right specifically, you can also try other directions and distances.
But unfortunately, the touch panel is most likely just worn and damaged, and you'll probably have to replace it, or use the 3DS without a working touch screen. That's assuming you already tried thoroughly cleaning it, and that doing it didn't make a difference (not just in the calibration menu, but also how it acts in the OS with the current calibration settings that you're unable to overwrite).

Jesus Sarmiento

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try touching the center calibration point with a small offset to the right specifically, you can also try other directions and distances.
But unfortunately, the touch panel is most likely just worn and damaged, and you'll probably have to replace it, or use the 3DS without a working touch screen. That's assuming you already tried thoroughly cleaning it, and that doing it didn't make a difference (not just in the calibration menu, but also how it acts in the OS with the current calibration settings that you're unable to overwrite).
Yeah even witb touching to the right of the calibration point it pretty much doesn’t change anything, only the upper section of the screen responds to any touch on the screen, i’m looking in my area to see if there’s a place that might offer a repair service for the 3ds touchscreen, ao hopefully i can get it replaced, if not then it may be a lost cause and i’ll just go forward with getting a new 3ds xl or 2ds xl

Reactions: IC_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I would've said show me how it rides
    I always wanted one of those Smart Cars with a Hyabusa motor in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm getting sick and tired of cheap ass baking pans now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think it be cool to have one that would fit in my pickup truck bed, then I could put down ramps n drive it off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Used this one 5 times already impossible to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need the $900 copper coated ones, they are good for 10 times cooking before they are un cleanable
    Condoms are only meant to be used once Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well damn that explains how you were born
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol