3DS?
fry.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Vita seems to be a lot more pricey piece of kit and they lose on each one sold so Sony will lose even more if they reduced it.

I thought they said there weren't making a loss on the Vita? If anything I'd guess they're pulling a Kindle Fire and basically getting a refund on each one sold. Kindle Fires are like around $199 to make (estimated) and sell for $200, so they get their money back and just make a loss on advertising and other non-production aspects. Still, I think it means they have a smaller hole to dig themselves out of instead of the big PS3 Slim hole they had back in the day (which they did dig themselves out of but it took a few years).

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehh, don't mean to offend anyone but I don't really care about Japan's sales. If anything I want the sales for the Vita and the 3DS to be THE EXACT SAME worldwide so then fanboys can't proclaim whichever is better because one sold more. Would be pretty damn funny. Then Sony and Nintendo would realize how stupid their decision to split up in the early N64 development days was and will join hand and hand, creating a massive console/handheld company that NOBODY CAN STOP! MWAHAHA!

No, a Nintendo / Sony merger would not be a good thing.

As for sales, I don't really care who sells what or how many, so long as everyone who's making a good product with satisfied fans can make a profit and stay in business. People who argue the superiority of one game console vs. another based on units sold are idiots.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Ehh, don't mean to offend anyone but I don't really care about Japan's sales. If anything I want the sales for the Vita and the 3DS to be THE EXACT SAME worldwide so then fanboys can't proclaim whichever is better because one sold more. Would be pretty damn funny. Then Sony and Nintendo would realize how stupid their decision to split up in the early N64 development days was and will join hand and hand, creating a massive console/handheld company that NOBODY CAN STOP! MWAHAHA!

No, a Nintendo / Sony merger would not be a good thing.

As for sales, I don't really care who sells what or how many, so long as everyone who's making a good product with satisfied fans can make a profit and stay in business. People who argue the superiority of one game console vs. another based on units sold are idiots.
Care to explain? And it was more of a "We know this won't happen but can still hope" sort of thing.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Funny how people call something flop that sells millions.

I miss the 8 Bit days when you just played the games without knowing any sales figures. Who the fuck cares? Just play the damn games :whip:

Reactions: 4 people

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
3ds = Flop, fire sale pricing, etc

PSV - Massive flop, low software attatch rate, LOL MEMORY CARD prices

Battle of the flops.
Is it just me or are people overusing the word flop?
The 3DS and Vita are certainly not flops, they are just having a bit bad starts, like every console.
This. Also there is quite a big console base from previous generations.. The DS/DSL/DSi/DSiXL and PSP 1000/2000/3000/Go/Street are still sold new in some places. People who haven't been that into the console business may not even see any difference between all consoles except the prices.

EDIT: fixed typos

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, all the people who typically have shit opinions are really proving to not have shit opinions here. Dead serious actually, kudos to you guys.

Care to explain? And it was more of a "We know this won't happen but can still hope" sort of thing.

Two significantly different companies with significantly different ideas wouldn't work well. Honestly, I don't think Sony would even bother with wasting money on Nintendo. They're an electronics company first and foremost, not a video game company. Plus Sony has basically had little competition with Nintendo until recently, mostly through faults of their own ($599 USD anyone?). Odds are if they recapture that old magic then they won't need to worry about competition again.

Plus Nintendo is probably worth shit loads of money that Sony probably wouldn't spend if they have an entire division of their company that does essentially the same thing. If anything it'd be easier to edge them out of the market then to buy them out of the market.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There are a few things I'd like to point out here... I ordered them from the most to the least relevant.

1. The PSP sold about half as well as the DS - this much we already know. What can we see here? The VITA almost matched the 3DS's sales. That means an increase of sales between this and the previous generation by about 80-90% (I don't feel like doing the math right now). The VITA sells better than the PSP and it's very likely that it will only sell better and better from now on.

2. The DS. Look at its sales. Putting "DS" in any new hardware basically mean that it's going to sell great. People were expecting that 3DS sales will be similar or will top DS sales during the same time of its lifetime and they did. What they did not expect is that the VITA will also match those numbers, why isn't anyone talking about that? Giving the console built-in cameras, a touch screen and the second thumb stick really seemed to appease the fans, and the HD graphics are only the icing on the cake.

3. This is Japan we're talking about. It's likely that the 300k buyers of the 3DS later on bought the VITA aswell. It's an electronic-crazy society that LOVES gadgets, the only console in history that didn't sell all that rad in Japan is the XBox 360, and that's because it's library is very "western", there aren't all that many games that would be directed towards the Japanese crowd.

Reactions: 1 person

ThaBaws

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Funny how people call something flop that sells millions.

I miss the 8 Bit days when you just played the games without knowing any sales figures. Who the fuck cares? Just play the damn games :whip:
This! :yay:

That's why I go with my own opinions, regarding games at first ^^

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Y'know he has (or at least had) a PS3 and plays CoD.

As we all know, playing CoD makes you completely unbiased and a well rounded member of the gaming community with an equal and just opinion on everything.

As for the sales, the Vita is competing against a lower priced direct competitor. Odds are sales will pick up once the "next big thing" happens for the system. The 3DS had a price drop for example. The Vita could have a huge software update, a price drop, or a huge title for it.

The launch games also look to be catering towards a more western audience. I know there's a few Japan exclusives but most of them are western oriented. I'll wait to see how it sells over here.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the big thing to take out of this is that the vita had the advantage of the holidays and an arguably stronger lineup, but wasn't able to sell better then it did. Not that it sold badly per se. In the end it doesn't really matter that much, I hope people don't decide to buy systems based on which sells better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: 4th wife