3DS RPG List

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by BORTZ, Oct 13, 2016.

Oct 13, 2016

3DS RPG List by BORTZ at 3:41 PM (4,323 Views / 7 Likes) 41 replies

1. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    the character can get stronger, but only by acquiring elements, not increasing its stats by killing monsters. (unless you count killing a Boss as being an improvement because you win a full heart, buuut, you can kill the boss and never grab the full heart and complete the game with 3 hearts :P)
    But I know its never clearly defined, and lot of users will always find a specific element which can be seen as RPG in games someone else don't consider as being one. it's an endless argument subject!
    As long as it's listed in the first post (which has not been updated since its creation!), it will help users even if not properly tagged, and that's the purpose of this thread. Then I guess we can list RPG and actions games too, as long as it's not pure action without story.

2. BORTZ
    OP

Global Moderator BORTZ RIP Jake...

United States
    I updated yesterday lol

3. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    ohh, I didn't see it was updated as it's still missing all my games listed on 2nd post, I thought you'd check them in order so you'd see my post first.
    Maybe you don't think they should be added? Labyrinth is released only on japan, but has a translation patch, and one of them is a Virtual console game.

Like I said, I didn't play them, so maybe they don't fit the list (Attack of the friday monster is maybe not RPG?)

there are also more suggestion by users, like :
    "legend of legacy" - traditional turn based
    "Conception II children of the seven stars"
    Lord of Magna Maiden Heaven

H1B1Esquire likes this.
  4. Abu_Senpai

Member Abu_Senpai The Red King

United Kingdom
    Are pokemon sun and moon really like SMT IV and its sequel?

5. BORTZ
    OP

United States
    Not exactly, but they have some of the same core mechanics. What I cannot tell is if you are really asking, or trying to make a point. I am going to assume you are asking and try to explain my logic.

If you watch the trailer I linked you to, one thing should be obvious. Half of the gameplay is you running around a map, taking missions and advancing the story by talking to people. The other half, that isnt so clear, is how the battles work. Your human main character is your first and only constant combatant. You level up and pour points into your stats, allowing you to build your player character any way you like. The others who help you- are demons. Monsters that you not only fight, but also collect, level up and fuse. To be quite honest, the battles feel sort of like Dragon Quest Monsters. The SMT games could be passed over as generic turn based rpgs by the untrained eye, but there is such a heavy emphasis on demon collection/customization, I keep them filed here, under monster collection.

Abu_Senpai likes this.
  6. Abu_Senpai

Member Abu_Senpai The Red King

United Kingdom

i was generally asking. I LOVED smt iv and SMT IV A on my 2ds and im currently playing and loving my first digimom game on vita which is Cyber Sleuth.
    And i saw how pokemon sun and moon have a big hype to them so i thought why not see if i might like them.

Like ive said, i enjoyed both smt games on the 2ds and i am loving cyber sleuth. I also enjoyed Persona 3 and 4 as well as Final fantasy 7,9,10,12,13,type 0 and FF7CC

Do you think sun and moon might be up my alley?

7. JCCG1989

Member JCCG1989 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    I don't consider Monster Hunter Series as RPG, RPG has more focus in character micromanagement and traits, Monster Hunter NEVER focuses in characters at all (lack of special skills, lack of personal status, lack of abilities, lack of character development) excluding the series totally out of the RPG genre. I think Monster Hunter is more related to the adventure genre.

8. BORTZ
    OP

United States
    Ah now I see what you are asking. I would think you would at least like them. Its hard not to like a pokemon game, but I hear sun/moon are really different.

Abu_Senpai likes this.
  9. osaka35

Member osaka35 Sleepy

United States
    Agreed. I guess it's whether you think the RPG elements are what define the genre, or if they can just be attributed to various other genres. Action adventure game, but built around rpg elements? Or an RPG where action is the medium rather than turn-based?

In my head, if it's a set-piece level up system (you always get upgrade A at location/time B), even as the core mechanic of the game, is not an rpg. Metroid isn't an RPG, for example. And an rpg is you leveling up as you progress, and that element is the core mechanic of gameplay. Zelda 2 is...well, it's trying really hard to be an RPG, but its core elements is an action adventure game (you get spells at set locations/times, and the level system is just for self-adaption of difficulty scale). So is it both? action adventure with heavy rpg elements? or just a pure action RPG?

RPG is hard to classify, for sure.

Last edited by osaka35, Nov 28, 2016
    Cyan likes this.
  10. H1B1Esquire

Member H1B1Esquire Uri Geller, I need lotto numbers.

United States
    Alphadia, Infinite Dunamis, Justice Chronicles, Chronus Arc, Journey to Kreisia, A.S.H., Grinsia, Dragon Fantasy 1/2- Classic turn-based.

Labyrinth no Kantana*, Unchained Blades, Severed- First-person D.C.

Retun to Popolocrois....it's an RPG?

Mercenaries Saga 2 - S-RPG

Sords & Darkness, Adventure Labyrinth Story, Gurumin?, Excave 1/2, Cave Story?, A-RPG

Code of Princess*, Tokyo Rumble, SteamWorld Dig, Fairune 1/2, Witch & Hero 1/2, PKMN Rumble World, Denpamen 1-3, Fossil Fighters - Belong somewhere....multi-genre?

Last edited by H1B1Esquire, Nov 28, 2016
  11. Alpinesuper0

Newcomer Alpinesuper0 Member

United Kingdom
    Inazuma eleven? how u do this to meh

12. sarkwalvein

Member sarkwalvein GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Every time I read Inazuma eleven, I think Captain Tsubasa Vol. 2: Super Striker (Famicom).
    Then I remember the endless several kilometers long field and the horrible password system (writing down hiragana as a kid when you don't even know what japanese is). Oh, the headaches.
    /ot

13. RedBlueGreen

Member RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Conception II, Lord of Magna, Legend of Legacy

14. AyanamiRei

Member AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

France
    I loved the third game, the first one on SFC. (I played it first in a hacked slightly french version) When I went back on the first two games, it was hard to get used to this password system, and annoying to keep notes of it.
    Even if it was stamina consuming, a lot of special shots and passes were able to cross more than half of the field. ^^

(this game was probably the reason why Inazuma Eleven got me interested in the first place)

15. Alpinesuper0

Newcomer Alpinesuper0 Member

United Kingdom
    Yeah and a password system inazuma eleven had that too I'm gonna check out this game.

16. Rhnz

Newcomer Rhnz Member

Philippines
    Is Monster Hunter Stories will be in english?

17. AyanamiRei

Member AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

France
    Monsters collection:
    - action:
    Inazuma Eleven: the original trilogy (compilation card in Japan, e-shop in the West) and the GO trilogy (the third being a japan exclusivity)
    Little Battlers eXperience (two sequels in japanese only)
    - turn-based:
    Dragon Ball Fusions
    Yôkai Watch 3 (J): two base versions + another one (like some Pokémon)

No, it isn't currently available in english. And there was no announcement of a planned localization from CAPCOM. But someone is recruiting on gbatemp to attempt an english translation patch.

Last edited by AyanamiRei, Dec 8, 2016
  18. Bullseye

Member Bullseye GBAtemp Regular

Oman
  19. f1steve

Newcomer f1steve Member

United Kingdom
    Awesome rpg list!! superb stuff.
    ...if only you'd tell us where to get them too lol. (no I'm not asking as it might be a bannable offence)

20. sarkwalvein

Member sarkwalvein GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    You can get most of them in gamestop, but there's also eBay, Amazon and so on.