• Likes 43

Inwait

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dammit!
Ok so I have to update to 7.2 to make it work.

Are there any restrictions regarding street pass if I update to 7.2?
I read that the only things that will no longer work are the eshop and accessing the systems settings through emunand (but I don't really know why this would be even necessary)

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Dammit!
Ok so I have to update to 7.2 to make it work.

Are there any restrictions regarding street pass if I update to 7.2?
I read that the only things that will no longer work are the eshop and accessing the systems settings through emunand (but I don't really know why this would be even necessary)

You can't set up internet without Settings. Other than that no problem.

Inwait

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But wouldn't I need setting up internet to use the relay in the first place?
Meaning that updating to 7.2 equals not being able to use streetpass via relay?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Street pass will auto connect to certain wifi access points if they have no password, buch as "attwifi", this is how the street pass relay apps work, the feature was also only added in 6.x I believe so your emunand would need to be at least 6.x(if your on 4.x you can only update straight to 7.2 though)

And also any inter net connections you have set up before updating will remain active....you just can't add new connections or edit old ones, street pass relay should work regardless

dariakyl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Little stupid question here.
I saw that updating emunand to 7.2 has some bad effects on the 3ds, is it really interesting to update it ?
I don't really care about the multiplayer but I guess it's still important to update the emunand to play the games that needs a firmware > 4.5, correct ?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Little stupid question here.
I saw that updating emunand to 7.2 has some bad effects on the 3ds, is it really interesting to update it ?
I don't really care about the multiplayer but I guess it's still important to update the emunand to play the games that needs a firmware > 4.5, correct ?
nope, games that require >4.5 will still work even on 4.5, only bug i know that exists when using >4.5 games on 4.5 is that local trading on pokemon doesn't work, not sure if there is anything else

BEEKAY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello guys.

I just bought a brand new 3DS XL which has a firmware below 4.5 and there was something I immediately noticed when I turned it on. The XL has two dead pixels on the top screen. They have a greenish bluish colour and are pretty noticeable on black backgrounds. I can't believe there's dead pixels on this brand new console. I've never experienced anything like this with any of my electronics. Nintendo sure screwed up with quality control.

I want to play some dead pixel videos and loop them to try and see if anything will change. But I will need to connect to wireless, and I was wondering if the 3DS will automatically update the firmware, or will it ask me first?

My second option is to get a replacement by Nintendo, but I don't want to do that because they will probably just send me a new 3DS with a newer firmware.

Or I can just buy the top LCD screen from Ebay and replace it myself. What do you guys think?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
it won't automatically update, it may download the update though, but you can format the system afterwards which will delete the downloaded update, but either way you will always have to confirm to running the update

Trace_hunter

Trophies
XP
Country
The whole 3ds flash card thing is confusing me a bit, I'm thinking about buying a gateway card as the 3ds I bought is on firmware 4.5, I have some questions though, hope someone can help.
Once I get everything working, how do I play online with a regular cartridge? (for example I want to play my retail mario kart online but I haven't yet due to needed to update firmware) I've kind of understood the emunand concept but it seems a little confusing, what happens if I need a newer system firmware to play a new retail game or something?

cheers

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The whole 3ds flash card thing is confusing me a bit, I'm thinking about buying a gateway card as the 3ds I bought is on firmware 4.5, I have some questions though, hope someone can help.
Once I get everything working, how do I play online with a regular cartridge? (for example I want to play my retail mario kart online but I haven't yet due to needed to update firmware) I've kind of understood the emunand concept but it seems a little confusing, what happens if I need a newer system firmware to play a new retail game or something?

cheers
The NAND is kinda the place where the System menu of your 3DS etc. is stored. With the GW, you can make a copy of it on your MicroSD card and go into that NAND, leaving the Real NAND untouched. You can update EmuNAND without updating Real NAND.
There are two versions of EmuNAND: The GW mode and the Classic mode. The Classic mode can run normal 3DS cartridges while the GW mode can only run games from the red Gateway card.
But you don't need a Gateway to use EmuNAND.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
The NAND is kinda the place where the System menu of your 3DS etc. is stored. With the GW, you can make a copy of it on your MicroSD card and go into that NAND, leaving the Real NAND untouched. You can update EmuNAND without updating Real NAND.
There are two versions of EmuNAND: The GW mode and the Classic mode. The Classic mode can run normal 3DS cartridges while the GW mode can only run games from the red Gateway card.
But you don't need a Gateway to use EmuNAND.
Just to clarify, emunand is stored on the big Sd that is in the 3ds, not the micro Sd, and classic mode and gateway mode use the same emunand but for different purposes

Trace_hunter

Trophies
XP
Country
How do you use emunand without a gateway? Also I read the 7.2 update breaks emunand, does that mean everytime there is a new firmware update I won't be able to use emunand to play retail cartridges until gateway update their card?

heyyouguys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Followed the following instructions without any issues

I updated the emunand and my orginal firmware is still 4.2 but I cannot tell if my GW3DS firmware is GW3D 7.X.X? I can never seem to get back to the menu where is says that (originally it had GW3D 4.2). What am I doing wrong? When I go into the ds profile and hold L down and go to GW GUI I choose the settings and then all I can do is load roms by pressing select. I cannot seem to go to settings and see the version of emunand I am running.

Thanks in advance

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0