Hardware 3DS IR amiibo reader hacked (better late than never)

EvilToaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I have an idea to create an Arduino or ESP8266 device using the IR module and display. Do you think this is possible?

steven96

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was thinking of the same thing, it's definitely possible. It's hardware wise really simple; just an arduino/esp8266 connected to an irda transceiver (ex. TFDU4101) via uart. Software also wouldn't be too hard since I documented most of the protocol on the 3dbrew wiki and the python code is on my github which is public.
However, I think most people wouldn't be interested in this project since most people use a new 3ds which cant use the infrared nfc base anymore.
Feel free to ask me more questions
about your project, I might be able to help you out.

Last edited by steven96,

EvilToaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Well, when possible, I will order all the necessary spare parts and study them and improve my programming knowledge (they are very poor). Thanks for the info, I had doubts about such an idea.

Darksound

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your efforts! While it is several years behind the usage of old 3ds models I'm nonetheless glad to see them being tinkered with.

I myself have New 3DS's, so I can't be much help. I do have an old NFC reader for Old 3DS that I picked up for $5, and I came here looking for something to do with it. I'm getting a new phone that contains an IR blaster today, and my hope is that the reader can also write arbitrary data, not just for amiibos. I'll check out your source when I have some time :yay3ds:

Raphial

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am not a hacker or a very computery person by any means (i have a slightley above avrage understanding than most, but not to this extent) how do i use the code to emulate the reader/writer? What do I open or where do i copy/paste the code to? I would like some help with this as i have an og ds and want to unlock the extra modes in Metroid samus returns without buying a $75+ reader.

Vulpes-Vulpeos

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I am not a hacker or a very computery person by any means (i have a slightley above avrage understanding than most, but not to this extent) how do i use the code to emulate the reader/writer? What do I open or where do i copy/paste the code to? I would like some help with this as i have an og ds and want to unlock the extra modes in Metroid samus returns without buying a $75+ reader.
There's an app for that:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/metroid-samus-returns-amiibo-unlocker.484176/

Reactions: zfreeman

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
Stupid question, but given that N3DS can boot O3DS firmware, could O3DS nfc module potentially be made to work on N3DS, enabling the use of IR for amiibo spoofing?
I'm pretty sure that will indeed work, I don't have a new 3ds to test this though
I don't mind testing this. Do I just need to install some modules from CDN?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo