Hacking 3DS ****ing bricked, never even use clones.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
So what is actually going on here? My 3DS setup consists of a Gateway card and has a clean install of the latest beta files with emuNAND setup and working great..... Am i in danger of a brick??? I dont want my beautiful white 3DS on 4.4 turned into a paperweight!!! :unsure:

Relenting

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
it a 6.25% chance it happens if the sd card fails to meet the checksum and the brick code would activate

and seems to be the case with at least 2 users reported with images.

I think those are the clone odds, not unmodified odds. The unmodified requires the mystery factor to pass the safety check.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm scared to check. Haven't turned my 3DS on since before this bricking business started. If Gateway take too much longer releasing 2.0 I might just try turning it on without the SD inserted just to see. Can't run brick code if the launcher.dat isn't accessible now, can it?

Reactions: porkiewpyne

MrOldboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess the consensus is to go back to 1.2 to be absolutely safe. My GW comes tomorrow so I guess I'll go this route and not 2.0b1.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm scared to check. Haven't turned my 3DS on since before this bricking business started. If Gateway take too much longer releasing 2.0 I might just try turning it on without the SD inserted just to see. Can't run brick code if the launcher.dat isn't accessible now, can it?
No code is executed if you don't go to "DS Profile".

Reactions: IronClouds

Relenting

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I guess the consensus is to go back to 1.2 to be absolutely safe. My GW comes tomorrow so I guess I'll go this route and not 2.0b1.
2.01b should be safe, but it reportedly has save issues (which 1.2 doesn't seem to have from what I've heard), which were fixed in 2.02b, which again has the kill code.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
So what is actually going on here? My 3DS setup consists of a Gateway card and has a clean install of the latest beta files with emuNAND setup and working great..... Am i in danger of a brick??? I dont want my beautiful white 3DS on 4.4 turned into a paperweight!!! :unsure:

3DS using latest gateway unmodified launcher.dat (2.0b2) got bricked after some game season.
This launcher.dat actually has some bricking routines that will erase the 3DS NAND contents and corrupt it's controller making the standard hardware rewriting procedures (connecting the 3DS NAND chip to a modified SD Card Reader) useless in these cases.

apollooo: I don't remember seeing this info at this thread, but you have made a emunand ambient (6.X or 7.X system menu loaded through launcher.dat) or were you running your gateway without it? It may be helpful to narrow what triggered your brick.

Runehasa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2.01b for me it is not chancing this. Finding another 4.5 3DS XL is going to be near impossible or insanely expensive on ebay.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
I'm just asking a question. It's important we get accurate information. Unverified reports help no one, but create only further confusion.

Furthermore, the blue screen with the bootrom error can be caused by something other than the emmc controller reporting size 0, too.

The error codes in the screenshot match though.

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
If you run the ROP on a system with code execution you can simply grab the decrypted code from memory.

Oh, and not to forget. They use a CPU emulator since beta 1 to obfuscate their code.

If you had said this from the start it would have given your claims much more credibility. In fact it would be basically essential for them to use obfuscation or encrypted code to pull off something like this.

Gateway are saying these brick code claims are being spread by gangsters (well script kid keyboard gangsters) and associates. Also, if the code is obfuscated it'd more likely people have misinterpreted an eMMC write routine to prevent a real system update during emuland update with DELIBERATE bricking code.

Since the beta code is causing problems even in its unaltered state it'd no surprise that clone firmware is even more susceptible.

In any case, Gateway say they will replace/fix consoles using original gateway cards - so quit with the whining everyone

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    saves a lot of time fr
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It's 11:30 PM here, I just took the trash out and my god is it awful outside
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This heatwave can eat my ass
    +3
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    omg same, it's VERY hot here, too
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck this heatwave, i don't usually sleep with a fan, but i believe the fan is getting put on the bed rather than beside it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S 12:30 IN THE FUCKING MORNING AND IT'S STILL 78°, WHAT THE FUCK?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    78º seems abnormal for any part of the day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it was 96 F for the high, 78 F for the low today, in Ohio, bout same for bakerman in Michigan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    F- fahrenheit C-Celsius. We in USA use F as our temp ratings
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    F = Freedom units
    +2
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    So... C = Cum units?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Clip units
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @HiradeGirl, That's how they get bigger loans at the bank.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Welp.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wasn't me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got around to playing A way out is pretty fun coop game to kill time
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and a buddy used to play that, is pretty fun. Graphics were pretty good also at that time, I think what 5-6 years ago. --Edit yea was 2018
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Surprised they never made a second one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It takes two was their newest different theme
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I didn't care for that one so much, but didn't play it much either.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just played little of "Still Wakes The Deep" , just came to gamepass today, its alright, kinda creepy. I'm not usually a horror game fan, but it looks really good graphic wise, esp w 4k. I admit it made me jump a few times.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I just played little of "Still Wakes The Deep" , just came to gamepass today, its alright, kinda...