Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see that flashcarts are idiotic for the 3DS. When a exploit gets out there, we actually hace a way of getting viable software onto the consol like the wii does (via full sized sd card). Having to pay money to a greedy company that only cares about piracy and money is just wrong. I wana dump my games and play them, and I want homebrew access, all on my 3ds, no cartridge. Screw flashcard companies. People who would even hack a 3ds should have to know the ins and out of mods in first place, including risks and patience when it comes to os updates. If you don't you shouldn't be hacking your 3ds.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So if somebody wants to install a 3.xx CFW on a PSP and goes and gets one from the store to find it has 6.60 preinstalled, they're stupid?

Softmods have downsides compared to hard mods. It's much easier for a company to update software than it is to update hardware. If you buy a system the only changes the company can try to make to it from that point on are software. If you do not currently own a system (or you own one but it breaks), then you risk them making hardware changes that can render softmods obsolete (or simply pre-updating the software). After all, look at the PS3 and 360. Software and hardware revisions are constantly making the newer models harder to hack, while the old ones (software and hardware) have more options.

I'm not saying that flash cart companies are always in the right, but jesus fucking christ it's $15 to run DS homebrew. That's multiple times less than the cost of a single new retail game.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I see your point about pre-installed firmware, but if your hacking your system, you need to be aware of system updates and to not instal them right away, and do some research somewhere, I don't know, like on this website. Its kinda like jailbreaking your iphone, don't go updating as soon as the next ios upgrade is out, and be sad because you lost your soft mod, and you wanna get it back when you can't at the time. I agree, hard mods are good, but if you can simply use a soft mod instead of buying some product, whether it be cheap or not, from the internet from generally (which means not always) shady websites, then I would take the soft mod. Especially if the people who make the flash card are only interested in piracy and not just homebrew. I don't care if games are somewhat expensive, I don't steal or pirate, its just wrong and I don't support anyone who does it (however, backing up your own games, or at least in the US, is just fine for personal use).

Sorry if I seem a bit zealous, im not trying to be a jerk. This is what I believe. By the way Rydian, your profile pic looks pretty cool, what is it?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
One of my major points is that you don't always get a choice of what software the device comes with.

All new PSP 3000s have firmware 6.60 (the latest) pre-installed.
None of them can have their pre-IPL modified.

All new Wii's have a 4.x system menu pre-installed.
None of them play burnt discs.

All new 360s have one of the recent dashboards pre-installed.
The ability to mod these at all is either slim or non-existent.

All new PS3s have an unhackable OFW pre-installed.
The ability to mod these seems non-existent for now as well.

EDIT: Wording fixed on the last point.

Also it's a snippet of some alternative character art I commissioned, full version here.
http://rydian.net/art/images/rydian/ry_tr/

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of my major points is that you don't always get a choice of what software the device comes with.

All new PSP 3000s have firmware 6.60 (the latest) pre-installed.
None of them can have their pre-IPL modified.

All new Wii's have a 4.x system menu pre-installed.
None of them play burnt discs.

All new 360s have one of the recent dashboards pre-installed.
The ability to mod these at all is either slim or non-existent.

All new PS3s have an unhackable OFW pre-installed.
The ability to mod these seems non-existent for now as well.

EDIT: Wording fixed on the last point.

Also it's a snippet of some alternative character art I commissioned, full version here.
http://rydian.net/ar...s/rydian/ry_tr/
Like I said, I get your point. Im just saying, if you even have the oppurtunity, you should really do some research and know that update "barrier" for softmods.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why wouldn't you hack a wii? I did it the first day I got it and that was way back when the twilight hack was new
It's my family's Wii, I don't think my dad would appreciate me hacking it so I can pirate stuff.

Also, couldn't Nintendo have a supported Homebrew channel, and moderate it or something? Do want.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like apple manages to have a protected iOS where you can't jailbreak it to pirate things and install unauthorized apps, right?

If users can run custom code on a device, it makes it much easier for them to hack it.
Not if it must be sent to Nintendo and have them trim it until they like it.
They'd have to make a big mistake for that to happen.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: 1 person

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh, just like the Smash Bros and Twilight Princess exploits didn't happen? And the Indiana Jones game, and that Yu-gi-oh game, and the Lego Batman game, and the Lego Star Wars game...
And then there's the exploits in the Wii's system itself, like banner bomb and mailbox bomb.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not if it must be sent to Nintendo and have them trim it until they like it.
Then that's DSiware/3DSware/Wiiware...

They'd have to make a big mistake for that to happen.
http://www.macworld...._tethering.html

Well, its not entirely the same thing, firstly, its WAY (WAY WAY WAY) easier (IMO) to get into the ios platform. $99 and a Mac (or if your going UDK, minus that Mac) is all you need. There are no crazy requirements to get into the appstore like having a "secure" workspace and a stable company. Nintendo, you can't be a garage dev, even if your talented. You need connections and/ or your/ part of a company to develop for nintendo, even there eshop and DSIware and Wiiware. Also, for 3DS, costs are pretty crazy for a indvidual and for smaller groups and probably smaller companies (unless loans are in place for such, but loans are no fun....).

I wish piracy would just go away, but it wont if people keep doing it. Thats why I don't do it myself, and convince people (on their own free will, im not always succesful XD)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So Apple made a big mistake. If you send Nintendo your source code, then let them scan and compile it or whatever, that shouldn't happen.
Nonsense. There is no magic "scan" for source code to stop coders doing more than they're officially allowed. If there was, Apple would use that technique and have prevented that flashlight tethering app from being released.

All they can really do is pull the app and stop that developer from releasing again. Possibly fine them if they had a clause in the developer agreement allowing them to do that if rules where broken.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like apple manages to have a protected iOS where you can't jailbreak it to pirate things and install unauthorized apps, right?

You can pirate from the app store with a jailbroken iDevice, actually you can do it right from the device itself with a package called ---. Its not a default ---- package though and I can't link to the actual site you find the source because I think it violates the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu