Hacking 3DS Firmware has been decrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Any homebrew that supports flash will most likely be using a port of some unofficial flash player, which likely means flash compatibility only up to flash 7... which means most flash games made in the last couple of years won't run.
Well, most games would be harder to use because you don't really have a decent keyboard at your disposal.

YouTube wouldn't suffer though. Go HTML5!

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Any homebrew that supports flash will most likely be using a port of some unofficial flash player, which likely means flash compatibility only up to flash 7... which means most flash games made in the last couple of years won't run.
Well, most games would be harder to use because you don't really have a decent keyboard at your disposal.

YouTube wouldn't suffer though. Go HTML5!

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Keep the piracy thread out of this thread - it's about hacking developments, NOT piracy.

[19:12] firmware isn't really decrypted
So some of us talked to him and he said this. No luck guys.

I'm not sure if that's real or not, but don't keep your hopes up.
Of course though it's not like we can neglect the possibility that any such exploit may lead to piracy.
I for one would prefer it if the 3DS stayed free of piracy for as long of a time as possible, the library of games will probably be better for it.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Of course though it's not like we can neglect the possibility that any such exploit may lead to piracy.
I for one would prefer it if the 3DS stayed free of piracy for as long of a time as possible, the library of games will probably be better for it.
Without doubts - but that's quite a bit of ahead-thinking. There's not even homebrew running on the 3DS yet, cluttering this thread with discussions on ethics and consequences of an eventual 3DS pirating situation is way unneeded at the current time, in my humble opinion.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Without doubts - but that's quite a bit of ahead-thinking. There's not even homebrew running on the 3DS yet, cluttering this thread with discussions on ethics and consequences of an eventual 3DS pirating situation is way unneeded at the current time, in my humble opinion.
Ah, I understand.
Still, hasn't most of the discussion thus far been mostly speculative anyway?
It's not as though the decrypted firmware has actually been demonstrated publicly, to my knowledge.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ah, I understand.
Still, hasn't most of the discussion thus far been mostly speculative anyway?
It's not as though the decrypted firmware has actually been demonstrated publicly, to my knowledge.
I'm all for speculation on the hacking itself, but talking of piracy is a quite sensible (and trite) argument, and so it'd be better to leave it for another thread ;)

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Still, it would be very interesting if the firmware had successfully been decrypted, but like others have said, the decryption alone does not allow for much.
The data can be studied but there is no means to install a modified firmware, you download the firmware straight from Nintendo's servers.

Well, unless you did some DNS trickery to make the 3DS think you were downloading from the Nintendo servers. The Pokémon games do such things to allow for downloading modified or generated pokémon, and to my recollection there was a very early Wii Shop exploit that allowed you to download titles you did not actually pay for.
Even though, I imagine some sort of key is still involved to actually authorise the download, spoofed server with no key probably means for a disobedient 3DS.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The data being studied could lead to finding exploits. As it is, only having basic interaction with the system, looking for exploits was more fuzzing than anything (feeding random data hoping for a usable crash or screwup). However with readable firmware comes readable binaries, right? Then comes the possibility of looking into some of the 3DS's code.

Windows 8 RTM... nuff said....
Dont talk bout specs, the thing can be modified..
'Cause we totally have access to the Windows source code, right?

zoolmod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't really have time to read through the entire thread, but what exactly does this mean right now? I know that this alone isn't enough to run homebrew or anything, but how close are we now that we have this?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Don't really have time to read through the entire thread, but what exactly does this mean right now? I know that this alone isn't enough to run homebrew or anything, but how close are we now that we have this?
It's one small step for neimod, one tiny leap for mod-kind.

What does that mean lol?
It essentially means we're still months if not years away from any kind of mod.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
It's one small step for neimod, one tiny leap for mod-kind.

What does that mean lol?
It's a bad rendition of Neil Armstrong's famous words when Apollo 11 landed and he first walked on the moon:
"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

:P

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's a bad rendition of Neil Armstrong's famous words when Apollo 11 landed and he first walked on the moon:
its not like he's not in very good company in messing up that sentence

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The data being studied could lead to finding exploits. As it is, only having basic interaction with the system, looking for exploits was more fuzzing than anything (feeding random data hoping for a usable crash or screwup). However with readable firmware comes readable binaries, right? Then comes the possibility of looking into some of the 3DS's code.

Windows 8 RTM... nuff said....
Dont talk bout specs, the thing can be modified..
'Cause we totally have access to the Windows source code, right?
I think I do.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
its not like he's not in very good company in messing up that sentence
Umm...what? :unsure:
I didn't get what you're trying to say. Both posts were made by me, in case you didn't notice. And isn't the sentence correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: The third one ducked. +1