Gaming 3DS capable of emulating N64?

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
If they're going to add 3D to the games then yeah, it needs to be a port.

Of course, in order to port they need the original source code... and while they should have it for first-party titles, third-party game companies may not have it anymore.

This isn't necessarily true... It would be possible to add 3d to a game through emulation. This is different from the "3ds could make ds games 3d!!" arguement because the emulator WOULD have 100% access to the full 3ds hardware. It would require more work on the part of the emulator (either official nintendo VC style, or eventual homebrew style) since N64 games had very varied engines, and it would be a hacky way of doing it (see iZ3d and it's results for PC games) but there is actually no reason why an emulated game console couldn't have 3d effects.

As for having the original source code, nearly every big game company has a huge data farm in which they keep their sources stored, both for completed titles and even uncompleted titles. These companies know they can always make a quick buck churning out 'old favorites' though I have no doubt that they are incomplete (don't have every game's code and assests) but for the most part all of the popular games have their code backed up in multiple locations.

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS
RAM: 64MB
CPU: 532 MHz (2x266 MHz)

PSP
RAM: 32-64MB
CPU: 333MHz

N64
RAM: 4MB
CPU: 93.75 MHz

I think it's very possible. especially with that 266MHz dual-core.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
If emulation works, I'll definitely be getting Killer Instinct.
biggrin.gif

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MadClaw said:
3DS

PSP

N64

266x2 != 532x1

Just like if you have a quad core at 4ghz, it's not the same as 1 core at 12ghz. At single processes, the single core at high mhz is far superior to multicore at lower, even if the some of the lower speed cores would be higher. It's the same reason that a 4 core processor isn't better than a 2 core for emulating the PS2... One core will always be waiting for the other core to finish something first.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the architecture is done correctly, you won't notice any real difference between a dual core and 2 seperate processors. The only difference would be the sharing of certain caches/onboard memory and memory bandwidth... But in almost all processors today every core already has it's own cache (with the higher end ones also having a much larger additional "shared cache" (L3 versus L1 and L2)) and memory controller built on die designed to handle it.

Earlier dual/quads had shared caches on all levels and relied on memory controllers built into the mobo that were designed and intended for single chip solutions.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MadClaw said:
3DS

PSP

N64

Number does not represent system performance. Why do people keeps comparing the number?
angry.gif

Also to teach you something. Dual core does not mean clock speed is double. Do some research on dual core. Dual core means computer can process two tasks at once. It is still rated as 266 Mhz.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
trumpet-205 said:
Number does not represent system performance. Why do people keeps comparing the number?
angry.gif

Also to teach you something. Dual core does not mean clock speed is double. Do some research on dual core. Dual core means computer can process two tasks at once. It is still rated as 266 Mhz.
Way to crush his dreams in one fell swoop. Also why do people constantly ask if console x can emulate console y before it is even out yet?! Have a little patience people, it's neither hacked nor released, you'll be waiting a while.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
spiritofcat said:
koji2009 said:
if you have a quad core at 4ghz, it's not the same as 1 core at 12ghz.
Kind of a faulty example there. 4 x 4 = 16, not 12.
Epic fail

But he is right if you disregard the bad math.
Why cant people just wait to see what the 3ds can do with their own eyes? Then you can BEGIN to make assumptions on emulation plausability. Nintendo WILL have 3ds emulating 9hf, and also gamecube games, and they will be perfect, so just wait, like we have to.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
spiritofcat said:
koji2009 said:
if you have a quad core at 4ghz, it's not the same as 1 core at 12ghz.
Kind of a faulty example there. 4 x 4 = 16, not 12.
Epic fail

But he is right if you disregard the bad math.
Why cant people just wait to see what the 3ds can do with their own eyes? Then you can BEGIN to make assumptions on emulation plausability. Nintendo WILL have 3ds emulating 9hf, and also gamecube games, and they will be perfect, so just wait, like we have to.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
We have like 9,999 threads on 3DS, when it not even out yet.... do you think we just going to sit and wait?
tongue.gif
The 3ds has to be released - so we can have one
The 3ds must be exploited - so we can start to run HB code
Someone needs to build/port emulator to 3ds - then beta tests begin
3ds will update to block exploit - so we need protecttion too...
Finally a working emu will be released.

I am guessing this will take at least 3 years. Dsi still cant be fully hacked as an example.

So yes, you have to wait
tongue.gif

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
lostdwarf said:
KingVamp said:
We have like 9,999 threads on 3DS, when it not even out yet.... do you think we just going to sit and wait?
tongue.gif
The 3ds has to be released - so we can have one
The 3ds must be exploited - so we can start to run HB code
Someone needs to build/port emulator to 3ds - then beta tests begin
3ds will update to block exploit - so we need protecttion too...
Finally a working emu will be released.

I am guessing this will take at least 3 years. Dsi still cant be fully hacked as an example.

So yes, you have to wait
tongue.gif

It depends on possible mistakes that 3DS will (or may) have... Twilight hack is an example that some "errors" may speed up the hacking process...

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
jan777 said:
Brian10122 said:
Midna said:
bdr9 said:
I remember reading a rule somewhere that in order for a system to emulate another system, it needs to be 8-10 times as powerful. Looking at the specs:

3DS

N64

Following this rule, there is definitely enough RAM, but the CPU might not be powerful enough.
Twin processor power =/= Power of two processors added. And anyway, that's a pretty inaccurate comparison. It's not taking into account any of the additional factors, just the MHz. The whole 7 times more powerful thing is just to make n00bs asking for PS3 emulators go away.

Anyways. Nintendo is really good at making emulators for their own games on their own consoles. They nail all the settings down to the last detail to ensure each released game runs perfectly. The Wii can do N64, even though its homebrew emulator fails. Same with the GC. For a homebrew emulator? Perhaps someone could make it work at a decent speed. A Nintendo made emulator? Yes, definitely. If they want it to happen, it will.

Funny because those new six-core AMD's can be about eight times more powerful than a PS3
tongue.gif

Wouldnt you rather just buy a ps3 instead?

Also, I hate it when people post stuff like this where they have no idea what they're talking about and call it "speculation"
then people start posting stuff they arent even sure about just to look smart.

Well, All I can say is, if you really want to play n64 games, buy a n64. or Emulate on a PC
the 3DS is made for 3DS games, all the other stuff are just extra features we're lucky enough that nintendo included.

Well if you really wanna talk, I guess the 3DS can play n64 games. judging from zelda and starfox, but those were remade or ported or something but still, they are showing us that you CAN play n64 games in the 3DS. Maybe theyre hinting at us of what the 3DS can do.

I have a PS3. And a 360. And a wii. But it's those exclusives and XBLA/PSN games that really get me..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head