Hardware 3DS Battery Life: 3-8 hrs

D

Deleted_171835

The battery life hours are based on highest brightness and maxed volume.1
I guess it isn't as bad as we originally thought.

D

Deleted-188346

All this rubbish was spawned by Kotaku misreading a small statement made by Nintendo. The actual translation didn't specify what setting the 3DS is at to result in 3-5 hours of battery life.

It also stated that the 3DS will last for 5-8 hours with NDS games, but again, didn't specify at what battery life.

It does, however, mention that "The battery life varies depending on the brightness of the screen".

Kotaku has been highly negative of Nintendo recently, for no reason aside from biased editors.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
awssk8er said:
This was my biggest fear about the 3DS.

I have my DSi on the lowest brightness, with the Wifi light off and I still think it dies too much. I'm assuming the 3-8 hours is the time with the 3D, so I doubt I'll ever use it except to try it out at launch.
You know turning the Wifi light off in settings doesn't increase battery life--it only stops you from connecting to wifi, which could save battery, but it's not like DSi's are always connected to the internet and downloading updates or whatever. I have a case on mine that can charge it by flipping a switch...even if it made the 3DS really fat, I'd get one if they made one for it.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Yeah, you hear a small number like 3 and immediately rage, but how long do you really need it to be?

This has been a problem with the PSP community for a while now - how often are you away from an AC plug (can't think of the name right now...you know what I'm talkin bout...willis.) for six hours available for gaming?

Really long car trips, maybe, but that's it.
That shouldn't be a problem for me, as my car has an AC outlet, but I do hope that the battery is replaceable.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Puppy_Washer said:
All this rubbish was spawned by Kotaku misreading a small statement made by Nintendo. The actual translation didn't specify what setting the 3DS is at to result in 3-5 hours of battery life.

It also stated that the 3DS will last for 5-8 hours with NDS games, but again, didn't specify at what battery life.

It does, however, mention that "The battery life varies depending on the brightness of the screen".

Kotaku has been highly negative of Nintendo recently, for no reason aside from biased editors.

Probably because, like all Nintendo things, they base it off of the weak lighting and everything. I forget what's written in my book or whatever, but eh.

campbell00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious: Does anyone actually play their DSi at full brightness? I NEVER use level 5 as it's too bright, and I infrequently ise level 4. The most I use is level 3.

If the brightness levels for the 3DS are similar, then I really don't mind this, as I won't be playing at full brightness anyway...

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but if the battery takes 3.5 hours to charge, and a full charge gives you 3 hours of play time.... Do the math.

D

Deleted-188346

HoTsHoT89 said:
3-5 hours? And what happens to that figure once Wifi is on?

I'll state again, this is entirely all misinformation. Kotaku mistranslated what Nintendo said.
3-5 hours more likely means:

- Highest brightness.
- Highest volume.
- Full 3D.
- Wifi enabled.
- Full use of accelerometer and gyroscope.

But we don't know for sure.
But one thing we can be sure of, is that everybody should calm the f**k down.

Jackaltyson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe when it's released we could do something similar to this:
Make-a-Solar-DS-light-Version-1.jpg

and then you would have 2 sources of power.
EDIT: Sorry for merged/double post.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think the battery life is fine. I don't see me playing 3 hours straight anyhow, let alone playing for 3 hours without access to an electrical socket.

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's fine by me.. Considering that my PSP phat can last only 1 hour on full brightness and I never ever play it... Seriously people.. can you enjoy games when you are walking on the street?? It may be a handheld but most people use it for games on their home or car trips.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
campbell00 said:
I'm curious: Does anyone actually play their DSi at full brightness? I NEVER use level 5 as it's too bright, and I infrequently ise level 4. The most I use is level 3.

If the brightness levels for the 3DS are similar, then I really don't mind this, as I won't be playing at full brightness anyway...

i use it on lvl1 and at night with lights turned off, it's damn bright, wish it had a lvl0....
i used lvl4-5 on i'm out, mostly at summer
and even on full brightness i didn't have much problem with the battery life

3ds will definately have a shorter bat.life, but i don't think it'd be 3-5 hours, that's way to outrageous
nintendo usually states the stats on min. and max.
so i assume, 3-5 hours means the bat.life on the max settings

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
3-8 hours is fine, how long do you guys want to play?? A 2 hour of gaming session is also great....I rarely play more than 2 hours on my DS/DSL/DSi (Since I own all 3)....and as for long trips. Play while the battery lasts and later, stare outta the window and enjoy the scenary + something called "life"

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Veho said:
Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but if the battery takes 3.5 hours to charge, and a full charge gives you 3 hours of play time.... Do the math.
I read that the first time.

Needless to say, I also found it somewhat unusual.

HoTsHoT89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Puppy_Washer said:
HoTsHoT89 said:
3-5 hours? And what happens to that figure once Wifi is on?

I'll state again, this is entirely all misinformation. Kotaku mistranslated what Nintendo said.
3-5 hours more likely means:

- Highest brightness.
- Highest volume.
- Full 3D.
- Wifi enabled.
- Full use of accelerometer and gyroscope.

But we don't know for sure.
But one thing we can be sure of, is that everybody should calm the f**k down.

Well even if it was an error on Kotaku's part, and Nintendo not stating the conditions to attain that battery life, it's probably not a good sign. It would be obvious that Nintendo would put up a considerable estimate at modest settings, and poorer battery life at full-blown settings. Why would they announce such a short playtime without any statements, unless the 3DS DOES suck up power?

QUOTE(SamAsh07 @ Jan 10 2011, 03:20 AM)
3-8 hours is fine, how long do you guys want to play?? A 2 hour of gaming session is also great....I rarely play more than 2 hours on my DS/DSL/DSi (Since I own all 3)....and as for long trips. Play while the battery lasts and later, stare outta the window and enjoy the scenary + something called "life"
That's not the problem.

Longer battery life means you don't have to charge more often between sessions, which means you're less likely to fall into a situation like PS0's Eternal Tower and requiring to charge in between. It also means that I don't have to ruin my batteries faster by charging them frequently. I know that a plug or a USB port is always nearby, but that's the thing - I'm supposed to be playing my handheld without a charger. And don't even mention StreetPass.

I think I'll be waiting for the next revision for this one.

Galisteo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I will also be waiting for the next revision for this one. But not because of the battery life, which I think is fine. I will be waiting because I still have way too many games to play on my DSi XL.
Besides, DS revisions seem to be really nice, I still remember how huge was the improvement from my DS phat to the DS lite one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn