36C3 Hacker conference underway (27th to 30th of December 2019)

36c3_logo.jpg

The C3 hacker conference, this year being 36C3, is set to start in a few hours. The latest in the "Ultimate" talk series covering various older game consoles (and minicomputers that you could play games do your homework on) is set to be featured. In this case it is the turn of the Acorn Archimedes, a somewhat lesser known device these days but Acorn and their tech went on to basically form a little known company called ARM. Still if you fancy yourself a hacker, or wanting to learn, you will doubtless find much of interest in this year's talks. Specifically for modern game consoles (previous years have seen 3ds, Wii, Wii U, Switch and PS3 talks, among several others) there is nothing specific unless one of the lightning talks yields something, though reverse engineering millions of gates is likely to be of some interest to anybody that ever participated in a decapping project, we saw the Switch have a little piece of annoying security called Trustzone so maybe learning how to bypass it is of interest and who in these circles hasn't had a site or tool they liked suffer a takedown.

You can see the schedule on the fahrplan or a list of individual talks on the events page. Do bear in mind that the times are for Germany so adjust accordingly.

The streams of the conference should be up in fairly short order on the Conference's media page and they do also have a youtube channel. There are live options too and you may find your local hackerspace, makerspace or similar having broadcasts of them.

What talks interest you this year?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Because the updates the 3DS got this year caused some slowdowns while using Luma.

And because hacking the 3DS is easier in some firmwares than others.
Sounds like the Luma Dev has some bugs to fix. And the 3DS can be hacked on any firmware now.

Reactions: Pluupy

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best of luck to everyone going, hopefully we get some good news out of this event. Got a switch for Xmas but literally have only turned it on to see if it works, new model that can’t be hacked & I’m gutted. A Nintendo console isn’t the same without a hack

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm happy to see that they all use Luma to develop nowdays, but feels a bit like cheating :thinking:
When it comes to hacks on end-of-life devices, there's always that one method that stands on top. That one exploit. That one custom firmware. That one flashcart. People lose interest and no amount of weird polygamous transsexual drama can stop Luma CFW from perpetuating the 3DS hack identity at this point. I feel like the same is gonna happen to the Switch too. Eventually, people will just use Atmosphere because it is free, largely advertised by users, updated with official firmware, and readily available at all times--all of which is key.

Evidently, I still use ReiNX but out of laziness to switch over to Atmosphere rather than any reason to use one over the other. AFAIK, they're both the same for someone such as I who downloads games and slaps them onto my console to play. It does what I need it to do. If it ain't broke...

Last edited by Pluupy,

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
When it comes to hacks on end-of-life devices, there's always that one method that stands on top. That one exploit. That one custom firmware. That one flashcart. People lose interest and no amount of weird polygamous transsexual drama can stop Luma CFW from perpetuating the 3DS hack identity at this point. I feel like the same is gonna happen to the Switch too. Eventually, people will just use Atmosphere because it is free, largely advertised by users, updated with official firmware, and readily available at all times--all of which is key.

Evidently, I still use ReiNX but out of laziness to switch over to Atmosphere rather than any reason to use one over the other. AFAIK, they're both the same for someone such as I who downloads games and slaps them onto my console to play. It does what I need it to do. If it ain't broke...
All those things are certainly important for us as users,but I was thinking about it more from a developer point of view: the modularity of a certain software, the debug options, and most importantly the number of developers that approve, support and build their work around that software.
It always felt like that (and I'm simplifying a lot here), even if a lot of projects were open source, people liked to work in closed circles whom rarely interacted between each other.
It's nice to see that's not the case anymore :)

...but, what I meant initially was that after you exploited some system in a Dev friendly environment like a CFW, you should at least test it on a Vanilla system! (If you look at the screenshot it says Luma is running while demostrating the exploit, as Tux confirmed in his notes).

also I don't want to open that can of worms again, but Aurora and her projects (Luma) were targeted and vandalized because she was(is)Trans, or I'm forgetting something else?

Last edited by Valery0p,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dang, there it is: b9s installation just by receiving a StreetPass.

But from a practical standpoint, does this mean we'll soon finally be able to do StreetPass emulation between PC hardware and a stock 3DS? Because that would be pretty great. (I mean, we already have other means of installing b9s, but faking StreetPasses involves that messy business of poking at files in the NAND.)

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
7.02 update fix the vulnerability on ps4 bd.. Why this guy tell to sony how to fix it?
Because he is working with security stuff in IT, so he had no interest in not doing it when he can add next stuff to resume. And he got money for it at the end.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
7.02 update fix the vulnerability on ps4 bd.. Why this guy tell to sony how to fix it?
Are we really going to have to do the responsible disclosure debate again? Were you not there for the horrors that were the early Switch bug bounty? Also did you not see what they did to poor Geohot who was not even the originator for most of it?

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
No, because running not signed apps requires security exploit in FW of console. Only what could this do is running pirated games, but he explained why this won't work either.

So it is a useless exploit until someone figures a work around using another exploits?

On another topic, Can you use the Streetpass thing to hack a 3DS from a hacked 3DS running Luma? Sorry to ask but I am on mobile so no videos for me - -.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you use the Streetpass thing to hack a 3DS from a hacked 3DS running Luma? Sorry to ask but I am on mobile so no videos for me - -.
First of all, the other 3DS would have to be on firmware 11.10 or 11.11.

Secondly, someone would have to actually write the necessary tools, which is unlikely at this point since there are already much more useful exploits available that haven't been patched out in 11.13. And even if someone did write the necessary tools, they would probably be easier to run from a PC than from another 3DS.

ETA: Considering how easily those tools could be used for evil, I wouldn't count on them being widely released.

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: raxadian

bomigoton

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just knew you would make this thread, FAST. :)

Reminder, there be console talks:

3DS - new sploits coming, one of which involves remote hacking the system through Streetpass!
https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2019/Fahrplan/events/10796.html
Alexander1970 has a thread here

Playstation - Blue Ray Drive hacks
https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2019/Fahrplan/events/10567.html

There might be more but not sure. There's always lightning talks as well, but no idea if any of those will be console stuff.

So there will be a Hacker conference this year, any news about switch or 3ds talks? Other consoles? Vita, PS4, PS5?
Will be online only anyway, but hey. Germany will have a general corona shutdown from wednesday 16th december on.

https://events.ccc.de/2020/09/04/rc3-remote-chaos-experience/

used the search quick, but did not find anything.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
So there will be a Hacker conference this year, any news about switch or 3ds talks? Other consoles? Vita, PS4, PS5?
Will be online only anyway, but hey. Germany will have a general corona shutdown from wednesday 16th december on.

https://events.ccc.de/2020/09/04/rc3-remote-chaos-experience/

used the search quick, but did not find anything.
I don't think there's any 3ds talks at c3 this year. They don't necessarily have to occur at c3 though.

gbadl

Trophies
XP
Country
I am hoping for a switch lite and mariko exploit this year. They haven't announced anything for any console at all. Hopefully more hackers working from home will announce something at the event.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol