Hacking 3.1-3.4 Twilight/Downgrade/Gamma Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barmy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, big Wii hacking noob here. I've had limited experience using the HBC to run simple things like emulators and whatnot, but this is my first real attempt to hack the console and so I want to make sure I fully understand what I'm doing before I proceed.

I'm a PAL gamer running 3.3E. Are all the wads and everything that is mentioned in this tutorial safe for installation on such a machine (provided I'm careful to select 3.2E in Step 2)?

Also, would it be possible for someone to PM me a link to EoC's download? I figure if I'm going to do this I want to be sure I'm using the right stuff. Thanks!

D

Deleted User

Barmy, check your PM.

Also Barmy, as I said, follow the guide on STEP 1.

Devvar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
afif95 said:
Barmy, check your PM.

Would you mind PMing me the link as well? I'm going to be using this guide as well...just need the files to get started.

Edit: I wonder if this is possible without an internet connection. As in, having the files on a SD card. I did up to IOS Downgrader, which required a internet connection. I couldn't continue so I stopped there. I've read through about 10 pages, and so far there isn't a way. I'm asking now if there may be a way to do it now.

rldowling03

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.hiphoputopia.com
XP
Country
Damn,

Cannot finish this as I cant use IOS Downgrader as I dont have access to wifi internet.

Been looking everywhere for the files I need to get in order to work around the internet like in Wiigator backup launcher but with no luck.

frown.gif

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
rldowling03 said:
Damn,

Cannot finish this as I cant use IOS Downgrader as I dont have access to wifi internet.

Been looking everywhere for the files I need to get in order to work around the internet like in Wiigator backup launcher but with no luck.

frown.gif

if you look in google you will not be sad anymore
wink.gif

madmax23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
afif95 said:
Barmy, check your PM.

Hi, please is it possible for someone to send me a link to the files? Very much appreciated!!

Barmy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok. I'm hoping someone can help me with this because it's getting frustrating.

I managed the downgrade/starfall/gamma loader installs as outlined in this tutorial. However, the backup loader isn't reading my newly-burned discs. I'm using imgburn, and the only setting I'm changing is the write speed, which I've been putting at 4x. It seems to write the disc okay and doesn't report any errors, but when it starts verifying the whole thing goes belly-up; It encounters an error on each individual "sector" of the disc.

When I go to use the disc in the Wii, I insert the disc and then begin the backup loader. It goes to a black screen and nothing ever happens, although the Wii sounds like it is continuously trying to read the disc.

I'm trying to burn a Mario Galaxy .iso that I ripped myself using the ISO Dumper. It's exactly the right size and I picked all the right options when using the dumper, so I don't think there's any problem with the .iso. So why is ImgBurn failing at verification and why can't my Wii play my discs? Should I just experiment with different write speeds, or is there some other problem here?

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dunno if this has already been answered (didn't bother seacrhing this time as the hits would be enormous when seacrhing for Twilight Hack related stuff), but here's my question.

Will the TP hack beta2 (yes, the one for 3.4) work previous systemmenu versions aswell ?
Cause I regularly help people to unlock their wii and I would like to be able to do so from just one prepared sd card.
Copying back and forth the hacks is well... annoying. And I'm lazy....

Thanks.

xem1x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Props where they are due. Thank you.
cool.gif

Works 100%, but I went ahead and did the updates to the shop channel. I saw you had listed to select no for that step. Works great though.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FRanatic said:
Dunno if this has already been answered (didn't bother seacrhing this time as the hits would be enormous when seacrhing for Twilight Hack related stuff), but here's my question.

Will the TP hack beta2 (yes, the one for 3.4) work previous systemmenu versions aswell ?
Cause I regularly help people to unlock their wii and I would like to be able to do so from just one prepared sd card.
Copying back and forth the hacks is well... annoying. And I'm lazy....

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that beta2 will only work on 3.4, etc. Otherwise the links to the old Twilight Hacks would fade into nonexistence...

kyiori

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Emperor of Canada (and everyone who contributed to the article). I just bought a Wii 2 days ago (3.3U) and followed your tutorial and got it to 3.2. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom drove me to look around about Wii homebrew, and I was pleasantly surprised to find how far along it went. After borrowing a friend's Wii to "test" the Twilight Hack, I got myself a Wii. Good thing they were still in stock. A lot of people were getting a Wii for Christmas.

that_dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afif95 said:
You have cIOS37 installed.
Remove it by using cios uninstaller, and install cios_fix and follow the guide. DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS.

cios uninstaller:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9BE92MCG

How to use:

Rename the .dol into boot.dol.
Put the file into a folder called "cIOS_Uninstaller".
Put the folder into the apps folder.
Load it using HBC.
Paydirt.

Afif95 thank you so much!

Joey R.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I've been following this guide and everything has been working perfectly (I'm already at 3.2E), except for the fact that I just can't even run Starfall. I'm trying to install it to no avail. I've downloaded the latest version (0.5 final - starfallv0.5-cred.dol [128kb]), created a folder named "Starfall" on the apps folder in the root of my card and it doesn't even appear in the HBC apps list. I've tried running it through Twilight Hack, but it gives me an error and I have to hard-reset my Wii.
What am I doing wrong? I did EVERYTHING this guide tells me to do and I even was able to run backups through the Backup Loader Gamma... but I want to install Starfall just to be on the safe side, as well as removing all those annoyances it gets rid of XD

Joey R.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yep, I did... I'll try again, but it worked when I loaded the HBC... Now it says something about an .elf and not being able to read it, or something in those lines. I'll edit my post once I've tried it again.

that_dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EoC a few people have been reported errors installing cios_fix.wad with error 1029 / 1035. It would be great if you can include a small line @ the point where you ask folks to install cios_fix.wad to try and use cios_UNinstaller.dol to remove all cios just before you install cios_fix.wad in case they do get these errors.

I spent a bit of time figuring this out coz Im a n00b and dint find this documented directly in any guide. I think it would be great to have it in just for dumb n00bs (like me!)

dextor123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi,
i would like to get some help whith your tutorial,
i have found a file that semm to be the goos one it is called eoc.zip and have your post in it

my wii is in version 3.1U and i am trying to do step 2
[STEP 2] [Perform these steps if you have completed Step 1 above or if you are on a version below 3.2. If you ARE on 3.2, skip to STEP 3]

+Load cIOS Downgrader in Homebrew channel MAKING SURE you PICK YOUR CORRECT REGION. Follow prompts until done.
3.2U = USA/Canada, 3.2E = Europe, 3.2J = Japan
**Note: Once again, this is NOT the same as IOS Downgrader. This is what will upgrade or downgrade you to version 3.2 firmware
which will allow you to install starfall. Starfall is important because it is at this time one of the only ways to fix a
partially bricked Wii. It is also handy for skipping disk updates.

but when i load cIOS Downgrader it only reset my wii and stay at 3.1U

thx a lot

dextor123

Joey R.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yay, my problem is solved. I downloaded EoC's app pack and Starfall worked perfectly fine. It seems that the official archive has only a .dol file, while EoC's has that .dol and an .xml. Yay! My Wii is now fully hacked and running!

UnlimitedHail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know if this just me (not checking 22 pages) but when I'm try to press A in the disclaimer with the cIOS Installer, it just "freezes" there & doesn't respond to me pressing A button even a thousand times. Power button no longer responds during this & I have to pull out the plug to turn off the system.

QUOTE said:
+Run cIOS Installer in Homebrew Channel.
This installs the IOS needed by the launcher.

Using a friend's Wii he bought on launch day, 3.2U firmware & Zelda TP is from launch day also. Plus using the very same ZIP provided here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes but Nintendo can sue Nintendo and I'll still win