29C3 hacker conference in a little under a week.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
29c3_partyflyer_animpreview.gif

We will of course be back to inform you when it starts and when big talks are set to happen but we thought we would get ahead of things this year and make sure people are aware of 29C3 a few days ahead of time. To that end starting on the 27th of December at 11am Berlin/Hamburg time 29C3 will open and run for four days.
For those not aware the C3 congress is a long running annual hacker convention based in Europe and put on by the Chaos Computer Club that sits up there with the likes of Defcon in terms of the speakers it attracts and information that gets released there. In years past the wii and the PS3 had their security systems dissected and dissed. Sadly despite events recently there does not seem to be a Wii U, DSi or 3ds event scheduled (workshops, guest presentations in other related presentations and lightning talks are a potentially different matter but there is not much information available for those at present), however various people involved with such hacks in years past do have talks on various related matters. To go further seen as one of the more common questions we get asked around here is "how do I learn to hack?" we like to note watching presentations such as these are great places to pick up more information on the ideas that underpin various hacks for "hacking [insert device]" is not really a discipline and most that do it start out with a deep understanding or electronics, computer science and other aspects of engineering and go from there.

Being a European conference from what started out as a largely German hacker group several presentations are not in English though the language of choice is noted in the schedule/Fahrplan and presentation overviews themselves, likewise times on the schedule/Fahrplan are Berlin/Hamburg times (one hour ahead of UK times). Most presentations are streamed live by various methods, are available for straight download in fairly short order and ultimately make their way onto youtube and other such places.

Official schedule/Fahrplan (though it is called a schedule this year for most previous events the German word Fahrplan was used by all so that is what many will call it)
PDF and other versions of the schedule/Fahrplan
Streaming arrangements do seem to not quite be finalised right now but Congress everywhere will eventually get relevant links (right now, among other things, it has a list of hackerspaces, universities and rooms that have been co-opted across mainland Europe that are participating with various types of streaming) and we will certainly be back with the necessary links as and when.

So then GBAtemp, what presentations are you looking forward to this year?

Reactions: Qtis

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Lol
https://events.ccc.de/

is listed as an attack site. Big surprise there :P

Anyway, definitely interested on what FailOverflow will unveil this year. They don't have any presentations scheduled as Fast pointed out, but we know they're going to reveal something impromptu style. :)

btw- can anybody decode the conference title?
Once-the.rockets/are-up..who/cares-where.they/come-down.That's
N.O-T/MY-D/E.PA/R.T-ME-N/T.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lol
https://events.ccc.de/

is listed as an attack site. Big surprise there :P

Anyway, definitely interested on what FailOverflow will unveil this year. They don't have any presentations scheduled as Fast pointed out, but we know they're going to reveal something impromptu style. :)

btw- can anybody decode the conference title?
Lol, they created their own SSL certificate (organization is listed as Chaos Computer Club).

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
Tamagachi pets seem to be the only game device that has a listed presentation, and I guess there are going to be "Atari Punk Consoles" kits that a person can build themselves. I loved learning about the MOS 6502 transistor level simulator from a 27c3 video and I guess it can play atari 2600 games now, kind of reminds me of when emulating pong by its circuits was popular, and googling that it seems they continued with such attempts in DICE , a Discrete Integrated Circuit Emulator, which "emulates computer systems that lack any type of CPU, consisting only of discrete logic components".

I do hope of course they have a surprise modern console, but anything that shows they are still interested in gaming is always a good thing.

wohdin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit, I completely forgot about C3 last year. Were there any interesting highlights I should be aware of?

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of major device hacking discussions this year. As for what's "scheduled", I'll prolly watch or at least skim through the Tamagotchi thing (mostly because they still make Tamagotchis?), New Human Interfaces for Music, Setting Mobile Phones Free, and The Tor Software Ecosystem.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Shame that from what I've read, there are no WiiU-related presentations on the panel, at least none are planned... If only fail0verflow had a week or two more to prepare... Then again, there's always some other convention. :P

Reactions: gamefan5

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Though I can say I got a bit more out of 27C3 when I got back to a proper internet connection (I was on 3g for a couple of months including the duration of 28c3) I was distracted for several days and I have not lacked for a hour long video to watch in the odd bit of spare time I have had since.
Bunnie's (the guy who kicked off a lot of xbox hacking) presentation on HDCP man in the middle was great

The Atari talk was definitely worth a look in, several of the bitcoin videos were great for some of the nice analysis and discussion of potential failure methods, the evolutionary algorithms talk was a fantastic overview of the subject, Cory Doctorow's presentation was a bit similar to some that he has done in years past but it was Cory Doctorow so who cares. After this there was quite a bit you would probably want to tailor to your interests, that said despite not really playing with PBX or proper network printers as much as some (much less doing anything more exotic than changing a driver inf file) I liked the presentations there. This said most presentations could be summed up as spend a few minutes building up from general knowledge (where your audience is already mostly programmers, electrical engineers, more classical engineers and other such types) and then roll it practically up to whatever extreme you have now taken it to (and by extension given the audience that followed along a fairly solid grounding in the subject) which is a style of presentation I really enjoy.

Finally I am sure we have all seen things like it before but http://mirror.informatik.uni-mannhe...p/wmv/[4751] The Hack will not be televised?/ was quite amusing.

wohdin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've found myself watching a LOT more than I expected to this year. I blame the keynote lol. I watched all of [5338] Enemies of the State, and while I was at least cerebrally aware of most of this stuff to some degree, I didn't really have a solidified image of the breadth of it all. Absolutely mindblowing. These people are fucking heroes, and I genuinely hope they find their way into future history books as such.

Currently watching [5024] Hackers as a High-Risk Population, I haven't even made it to the first Lightning talks sadly. Seriously, this year is stellar.

[e] I skimmed through the lightning talks schedule and f0 or related peoples don't seem to have anything up, but they might be planning something for the shared areas... but sadly those won't get recorded. D8

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good to know wohdin - my efforts to watch the streams were cut short by other obligations so I am going to be catching up on youtube. Beyond that some people were not overly enthused about the move to Hamburg and considerably larger number of presentations in German and wondered if it would not do as well as a result, if it is as you say I have some good stuff to come.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over