Hardware 2 Consoles and 2 Live accounts

Krafter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm at my wits end here. I setup a second Xbox 360 for my kids (both retail) and bought both of them Xbox Live Gold accounts. It worked great for a couple of months and then out of the blue, one of them started getting NAT errors and limited Xbox Live connections. I found that if I power cycled my gateway then the one I was having problems with would work fine but the problem would follow to the first one that was working.

After doing some research, I learned that most of the time, NAT problems are due to router issues not supporting UPnP. After more research and some digging, I found that my AT&T U-Verse gateway didn't support UPnP so I bought a Linksys WRT 1200 AC wireless router that does. I put this new router into the DMZ of the AT&T gateway and used the Linksys for connection but that didn't help. I've also tried putting one console into the DMZ on the Linksys and opened ports Port 88 (UDP), Port 3074 (UDP and TCP), Port 53 (UDP and TCP) and Port 80 (TCP) for the second console but that didn't help either. I've talked to AT&T several times and Microsoft and neither of them are telling me that it shouldn't work but at the same time, they cant offer any solutions. As a last resort test, I took both consoles to a friends place with a different ISP and the consoles connected to Live just fine.

I'm at a total loss here and need some help. Has anyone else had this issue? I've googled it but I'm not finding much. I can't be the only one on the planet that has two Xbox 360s and two Xbox Live accounts.

More things I've tried:
  • Put one console into the DMZ on the gateway and one on the Linksys router with the above mentioned ports.
  • Enabled port triggering on the Linksys for the above ports opened
  • Set both consoles and Live as priority in the Linksys
  • Set static IPs, gateway and DNS in the consoles
  • Other crap that I can't remember right now

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Possible stopgap. Got a VPN? If you are not expecting any kind of anonymity then you can probably find something in state/near as the crow flies for not a lot. Mind you I might have a skim of the Live terms of service just in case they do not care for it.

How far up the tech support tree did you get? Judging by your post you probably got somewhere with them and did not have to run through it all several times. I still would trust them about as far as I can throw them but hey.

Can I presume you took your Linksys with you to your friend's. From what I have seen there it could still be the internal network/router at fault or the ISP doing some weirdness. If it behaved at your friend's with the linksys then that puts it at the feet of the ISP, or at least that the linksys can not handle something your ISP is doing.
I do not expect it to do much of anything but to add to your check list of things to tell the next ISP/MS helldesk worker then put the 360s on different subnets.

But yeah this is odd. I would struggle to count the number of times I have been places and someone has a 360 in the lounge, in their room and so did their housemate. Only network issues I have seen from them have been when they want to do system link games via a single cable.

ISO-Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, The internet is identifying your 2 systems as 1 (by IP identifying). Even though your 2 systems shows separate IP's, the internet only can see the main IP from your router. That is how I am interpreting your issue. In the old days, I had DSL and used NT Server with NAT where NT Server would make the requests for the units and then distribute the incoming according to which units made the requests. Modern times, I thought the routers has the ability to do it internally without any special setting made. Don't forget, AT&T could have flags set on their end to limit UPNP operations.

Wish you the best on your issue :)

ISO-Man

Krafter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget, AT&T could have flags set on their end to limit UPNP operations.

Wish you the best on your issue :)

ISO-Man

I think it was something like this. I have since switched ISPs to Comcast and everything works perfectly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...