TheStump

Got Wood?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just picked up a Wiikey and soldering iron (30W). Ive trolled the net looking at the install process and all the guides and reviews mention a 15W iron, is a 30W better or worse to use?
Thanks

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Worse. It's more like using a welder for a lighter. 30W means it gets warmer, what increases the risk of damaging the console and make the soldering points come off, in which case you'll have to solder to the DVD controller directly.
blink.gif
You may use it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a really good and quick solderer.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seconded on using 15 W instead of 30. I used to practice soldering with a 30 W and all the time I kept messing it up. With a 15w, I even managed to use it to solder a PS2 chip...

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It can be done with a 30W, but it is more risk than it is worth if you aren't very experienced at soldering. A 15W, some electrical solder (60/40 or silver bearing solder) and some flux, and a bit of practice on something else before dealing with the Wii.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I installed my Wiikey (wire install) using a cheapo 30w iron without any problems ...and it's the second time I've ever soldered anything.
There isn't a huge difference between a 15w and 30w iron, it's not like you're using a 100w iron or something silly.
If you're careful you should be fine.

smile.gif

noamkot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I used a 50W soldering iron for my Wiikey installation... But I have quite alot of soldering experience from work.
It all boils down to your expertise. If you don't know how to solder you should use a 15W one or at least practice some soldering on a dead pcb before you try messing with your precious wii.

pnut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used a 30W and ended up taking off 2 contact points. Like one of the posters said, the more experienced you are, the higher you can go. If you are a novice, just go with a 15W. It's only like $10 or less at radio shack

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I used a 25W with no problems myself. I've done a few xbox mods for friends and general electronics repair so I'm not an expert per se, but experienced.

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I used a 30w instead fo a 15.

Its basically the same thing, just stick to the rule of 2 seconds - dont hold the iron to any components or the board for longer than 2 seconds. Regardless of wether you use a 15 or 30 watt iron, stick to this rule and you should be ok.

TheStump

Got Wood?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hmm thanks alot for the replies, i might just use the 30W, im quite confident that i can manage. Ive soldered before, but not alot.
its just a picked up this iron from Bunnings warehouse for $6. And i dont think they had anything less than 30W. If an Aussie member knows of a good (non online) store that i can get a cheap thin tip iron from that would be great.

If not ill keep to the 2 second rules.
unsure.gif

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Get all the equipment you need, plan the attack well, make sure you got a steady hand, stick to the 2 second rule & take a deep breath and im sure your £180 hardware will be fine
smile.gif

I did mine with very very little soldering experience/ confidence. I practised a couple of days before and a few mins before I did the actual install and it turned out ok.

Newbie-power!
ph34r.gif
(or first time luck
rofl2.gif
)

overflow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally speaking, I don't know how you can use such a low wattage iron and not burn the heck out of your PCB. I use about 70w, which means you have to just barely touch the contact for less than a second. Use flux and you should be all good. I find with anything less, you've got to hold the iron the pad too long and you burn it up.

aross6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
30W is the way go to... doesn't take to long to heat up.... stick to the 2 second rule and be attentive to your work and you'll do fine!

jon-t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I used a 30w with a thick tip on my first mod (Wii) it works but you will have to be real carefull! Lol i have some kind of medical condition that makes my hands shake really bad at sutch situations as this i shaked like 1-2cm rapidly and i still made it
tongue.gif

pewpz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like this is your first solder job, i think 30W can get you in trouble. A fraction of a second too long on a point and you could potentially pull solder pads right off. I used a 6W iron so I would actually have to try to screw things up as opposed to accidentally.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hrmm, these days I use a variable temp soldering station. If I need more heat, I just turn it up a few degrees, if it is too hot, I just turn it down.

BTW:
the difference between: 16W (200 deg. C or 500 deg. F) and 30W (450 deg. C or 800 deg. F). The 15W antec I used to use to do PS2 and xbox mods has a measured temp reading of 490 deg. F, and is sometimes a tad too hot for my liking (though it lets me use braid like a champ while my station does not).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't know how I missed this https://youtu.be/OgLD1yhxNik?si=I94vWUB9-LcKc5jR