Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
27c3 now happening.
Top flight hacker convention.
conference-128x128.png

We here at GBAtemp often see the "how do I learn to hack?" or "how did they possibly figure out how to do these hacks I am using?" questions posed by members new and old alike and while there is no simple answer one of the key things is learning all about the various methods that can be employed (there truly is no useless knowledge). By and large there is no better place to learn about how to use them as an attacker than from a hacker convention and this is one of the biggest and best ones.

Update- talk has now happened.
Specifically pertaining to consoles you will have to wait until day 3 (day 1 is today) for the talk entitled "Console hacking 2010"- we will post back up when the time draws nearer for that though (some links below for more on that). You might have seen the wii conference a few years back which we have also linked up below, many of the same people who will be doing this console hacking 2010 made that so for those that want to get an idea of what it is all about have a look.
Do also feel free to share any videos or slides of C3 or any other hacker convention in the discussion pages for this thread.

icon11.gif
 Console Hacking 2010
icon11.gif
 27c3 Fahrplan (time, date and location links)

icon11.gif
Streaming video/audio page Proper download pages are usually sorted out after the conventions.

icon11.gif
 Youtube link for channel with 25C3 wii fail presentation

discuss.png
 Discuss

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is the booo for- we like hacking here at GBAtemp.

As for videos I think I have spent countless hours watching videos and reading presentations about things like this (anything and everything- geopolitics to lockpicking forensics). I will spare a dump of my bookmarks though (I did a bunch http://gbatemp.net/t204149-psp-hacking?st=...p;#entry2541305 ).

Likewise between youtube, vimeo and google video many presentations have been posted- Defcon, C3 congress, shmoocon, nexthope, google tech talks, TED, Nuit Du Hack to name but a few.

D

Deleted_171835

Interesting.
I'll be watching some of the presentations.
Edit: Just clicked Saal 1 and I don't understand a damn thing. They're talking in a different language.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@salnaruto2 it is a general hacking conference although there is one big talk on consoles and most of the techniques used in hacking them are also covered (a few hours back there was a talk on JTAG- such a method was used to hack the 360 this time last year along with many other things), other years there have been talks on i2c (you will never guess what the wii nunchuck uses to communicate), Data Recovery Techniques (we use such things to find out things about repairing consoles- also useful in hacking) and so on and so on hence my everything is useful comment.

@SoulSnatcher it is a German conference so there are some presentations in German, by and large most are in English (check the schedule/Fahrplann) and most but not all of the German presentations deal with stuff specific to Germany (laws and the like).

Also others if you want to see some older ones poke around http://c3.ex23.de/ - it seems to be room, date and time. On the matter of time it is in Germany (an hour ahead of UK time at present) so account for that if planning to watch something live

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
Also others if you want to see some older ones poke around http://c3.ex23.de/ - it seems to be room, date and time. On the matter of time it is in Germany (an hour ahead of UK time at present) so account for that if planning to watch something live
Thanks for the heads up. Now i can watch the one i missed !
yay.gif

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Boooooooooooo!
Comments like this is why I say GBAtemp has turned into Gamefaqs for flashcard kiddies. Really if none of this stuff interests you then what the fuck are you doing here? Oh just for the free pokemon games and 4chan-like banter in the EoF? Sweet!

Thanks Fast for posting this links and giving us the heads up. I really love this sort of stuff.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems very interesting. Wished I know about this convention earlier. I just finished watching the 25C3 Wii presentation fail and enjoyed the detail they got in too on how the wii works with security and stuff.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully I'll remember to check it out once the presentation is up, in a few days (IIRC there's usually downloads of it somewhere or at least on Youtube).

salnaruto2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the info., Fast6191.
I been looking for something to teach me how to hack roms, let's see if i can learn anything.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
does this require some previous knowledge say in programming... u could hear the whole thing but what u come out with is just theory but u dont know how to do what is told
please inform me if this requires something more than listening to how hackers hack... thanks for the news (from the biggest technical expert possibly on gbatemp)

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
does this require some previous knowledge say in programming... u could hear the whole thing but what u come out with is just theory but u dont know how to do what is told
please inform me if this requires something more than listening to how hackers hack... thanks for the news (from the biggest technical expert possibly on gbatemp)
Look I dont mean to be a snob, but if you need to ask this question, and want to have everything spoonfed to you then you will probably find this stuff confusing and boring. Or if you want to take a little bit of initiative, why not browse around their website and look for anything that interests you. Or watch Marcan and bushing's presentation from a couple years ago, hich fast already linked too lol:

If you want to become a "l33t" hacker it will only come from personal desire to want to learn.

And no, watching these presentations doesn't really require any advanced technical knowledge, just a basic understanding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E