wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
homebrew.gif
Bricks-OS
operating system for game consoles
bricks-os-logo.png
This homebrew operating system supports a handful of counsels including the Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS. “its main goals is to share resources between different game consoles.This is achieved by using message passing for communication” according to Maximus32. The current feature list boasts the ability to accomplish multitasking on both the GBA and NDS platforms.

Feature List said:

The list of currently supported game consoles:

- Gameboy Advance
- Nintendo DS
- GameCube
- Playstation2
- Playstation Portable
- Wii
- i386 PC (not really a Game Console :-)

The list of current features include:

- Preemptive multitasking (even on the GBA and NDS)
- Message passing
- Hardware OpenGL implementation (on some consoles)
- Software OpenGL implementation (for all consoles not supporting hardware 3D)

The latest release (v0.0.3) demonstrates a Software OpenGL implementation (GBA, GC, Wii, PC, PSP), and a Hardware OpenGL implementation (NDS, PS2).
icon11.gif
 Source
icon11.gif
Homepage
icon11.gif
Off-site Download
icon11.gif
Discuss

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
redviper said:
So, what's the purpose of this?

I was wondering the same thing. Going to check out their site as we speak. If anyone else has any ideas, PLEASE explain
smile.gif

EDIT: Wait. Is this a way to make one game that can then be ported to all other systems that can run this? I.e. make a homebrew that'll run on a lowend PC, GBA, DS and PS2 (for instance)... but not need to change the coding?

If so, thats pretty badass. If not, well, that would be cool
tongue.gif

Is my understanding correct?

EDIT2: Ok, upon reading their About page, it looks like its something similar to my Edit1, but it also looks like that a program could communicate to multiple sources (i.e. a multiplayer game that can play on Wii, DS and PS2 all at the same time?)

.....or am i blowing this WAY out of proportion with my ignorance of this subject lol.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So that someone who develops for Bricks-OS can have a working app/game/whatever on several different consoles.

That's my take on it.

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
redviper said:
So, what's the purpose of this?

I was wondering the same thing. Going to check out their site as we speak. If anyone else has any ideas, PLEASE explain
smile.gif

EDIT: Wait. Is this a way to make one game that can then be ported to all other systems that can run this? I.e. make a homebrew that'll run on a lowend PC, GBA, DS and PS2 (for instance)... but not need to change the coding?

If so, thats pretty badass. If not, well, that would be cool
tongue.gif

EDIT2: Ok, upon reading their About page, it looks like its something similar to my Edit1, but it also looks like that a program could communicate to multiple sources (i.e. a multiplayer game that can play on Wii, DS and PS2 all at the same time?)

.....or am i blowing this WAY out of proportion with my ignorance of this subject lol.

Multitasking operating system with inter-process communication.

Maximus32

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi to all,

I just joined the the forum so I could reply on this.

QUOTE said:
Yes, that is the general idea of any operating system. Release v0.0.3 demonstrates a simple OpenGL application. It only uses OpenGL, GLU and GLUT API calls, so it would probably compile and run on linux as well.

QUOTE said:
Yes.

Yes, but that is not implemented at the moment. Currently Multitasking & Message-Passing-IPC is only working on GBA, NDS and PC. Communication between consoles will be the next step.

Maximus32

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Maximus32: Thanks for confirming that for me
smile.gif
I'm kind of shocked i understood that heh.

Also, this is a GREAT idea! I'm no programmer, but i'm very interested in seeing where this can lead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE