ROM Hack GCN Translation Zoids VS III Translation Project (OUT NOW)

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey y'all, I'm Trace, you might know me through my work on Zoids Saga DS which I translated earlier this year. I've been dipping my toes into translating Zoids VS III for the GameCube and think I can do a full translation of the story and menus.

For those who don't know, Zoids VS III is the sequel to Zoids: Battle Legends for the Gamecube, and it was never released in English, so if you're nostalgic for that game, you might be really into this one. You can play through mission mode, which is basically a story mode with branching paths, or battle with up to four players using split screen.

This iteration of the VS series is the first and only one to offer flying Zoids as well, so you can fight from the air if that's your thing! Overall it's just a really cool game.

Here's a sneak peek at some work I've already done on it:

As with Zoids Saga DS, I am doing this all on my own (CS student, fluent in Japanese) and would really appreciate any form of support. You can help me along the way by buying me a coffee over at https://ko-fi.com/traceytrace . People showing their enthusiasm and support was one of the best motivators during my time working on Zoids Saga DS, so any bit helps!

You can see my story script in progress here:

Post automatically merged:

I've done the menus and message boxes, and I also have extracted the story mode script and all of the pointers for it into txt files, here's what I have :) (if it's a garbled mess, it means you need to swap your encoding to shift JIS.)

Attachments

• Menu Script ENG.txt
    11.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Menu Script JP.txt
    16.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Menu Pointers JP.txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Story Script.txt
    119.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Story Pointers JP.txt
    46.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by Traceytrace,

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Might be a bit impaired from the absolute beating my liver has taken from the alcoholic experience that is new years eve in Australia. But boy am I excited to translate the script I've extracted and get to work on bringing this translation to life! Happy new years everyone.

Reactions: eyeliner and depaul

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Made a quick video showing off translated character and Zoid lists in-game:

Edit:

I've extracted some textures from the game and begun editing them since some important things are in text (but in picture form, not raw text)

Sadly, I think this makes it such that playing it fully translated is not possible on a console since you need to be emulating it in order to load custom textures, but it's not like that's something I can help anyway. Maybe I'll make another video on it in the coming days.

Reactions: eyeliner and depaul

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Here's another update video, this time showing off some texture edits among other things:

I'm basically done with the programming portion of the translation now, and I've only got to translate the story script, the mission info screens, the pilot descriptions and a small handful of textures!

Reactions: eyeliner

GetterRays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's another update video, this time showing off some texture edits among other things:

I'm basically done with the programming portion of the translation now, and I've only got to translate the story script, the mission info screens, the pilot descriptions and a small handful of textures!

Fantastic work, man!

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Script is 40% done. Everything up to Mission 12 is in English now.

Translating this game is getting quite boring for me, I definitely got more enjoyment out of the programming portion, but I'll try and power through it.

Reactions: eyeliner

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Up to 78% complete now.

Hey everyone, I'm happy to announce that my English translation for Zoids VS III is out and you can download it right now!

It's been a busy start to the year but I'm proud of myself for going from nothing to a fully playable translation in just a few weeks all by myself.

Here's the link: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6799/

If you appreciate the work I've put in to make this for the (relatively) tiny Zoids community, I highly recommend supporting me over at https://ko-fi.com/traceytrace it would mean a lot to me!

Enjoy!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol