Gaming Zelda WII = Zelda Gamecube

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Get the wii version; you can turn off the wiimote aiming if you are a stupid moron and don't like it (in the options). Then you can use your ancient technology analog aiming to your silly hearts content.

w000t!!!111one!! Wii is friendly to us special folks with special needs
grog.gif

(My mom has to type this for me. I'm not allowed to use the keyboard. Not since the... incident.)

Anyway. I was just reacting to someone saying that the Gamecube Zelda has less features than the Wii version. I don't see any special Wii-only features in the Wii version, and I don't consider "better aiming" to be a game feature.

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
You know what i find the funniest thing about consoles and their "DVD playback", why does anyone in the entire world need it?

Atari 2600, NES, Mastersystem, SNES, Megadrive/Gensis - they focused on one point: playable games. We can all say the SNES was better than the genesis, but in reality both had games you just had to play. This is what makes stuff like emulators fun, you can play the lot on a PC, or like i do on my media centre.

Does anyone recall any of the above systems ever playing VHS tapes? Did it matter?! I dont care if Xbox or Playstation can play dvds! You can get DVD players, which play dvds and XviDs as well for peanuts now, why would you need to watch a movie on your games console. Totally pointless. If you are anything like me, you will probably have a dvd playing while playing your console anyway, so how can you do that without a dvd player.

Wii is tiny, takes up no space at all next to your TV and by adding DVD playback and other unecessary "features" will only make the size of an xbox and GULP God forbid the size of a PS3... GOD NO.

Hats off to Nintendo for being able to release a game as big as Zelda on launch day, without a Mario game in site and for Zelda being so good.

Why are we worried about our consoles having to have all these unecessary features you use once, when in reality.. all we want them to do is play excellent games and i have no doubt the wii will deliver excellent games.

Let the PS3 mob play their HD boring games while we enjoy innovative and interesting DS and Wii games!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hats off to Nintendo for being able to release a game as big as Zelda on launch day, without a Mario game in site and for Zelda being so good.

Why are we worried about our consoles having to have all these unecessary features you use once, when in reality.. all we want them to do is play excellent games and i have no doubt the wii will deliver excellent games.

...a bit off topic, but still:
grog.gif
grog.gif
Go Wii!!

(We need a "yay Wii" smiley.
yaynds.gif
)

EDIT: I just realized the subtitle of this topic reads: QUOTEShould I buy a wii or stick to my GF?

Well, stick with your GF, for now; you can always get a Wii after you two break up
laugh.gif

Z

Zress

"Hats off to Nintendo for being able to release a game as big as Zelda on launch day,"

especially since they had to mirror link and rework the control scheme entirely for it because they were in a rush to get a familiar 1st party character's game available to boost sales.

personally I think it's rather disheartening that the only launch title for wii that I hear people raving about ISN'T EVEN A WII GAME, BUT RATHER A GCN GAME MODDED FOR THE NEW SYSTEM. but what do I know?

me and my thinking systems shouldn't need hand-me-downs to get going....

FranckKnight

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its more or less sad that its a GCN mod for the launch, yes, but you could factor in the whole timing issue.

The game wasn't ready a year ago, and then speculations went on that it might be a game for the next generation instead rather than GCN exclusive, considering the near-death state of it.

Think about it, they will release a blockbuster game on their own system, to boost the sale of a system that is about to die?

Considering that Wii and GCN more or less have the same processing power, with different pointing system, it was probably a smart decision to put it on the Wii at launch. Yes, you can alternatively get it on the GCN, but the price difference between the two systems isn't very high all considered.

Now if they had done the same thing on PS2/PS3 for example, let's say have a FF12 version for PS3 at the same time, do you think it would warrant to shell out 600$ for a new system that would barely have any differences beside graphics? Its nearly 5 times the current price of the PS2.

One difference is in this example, FF12 is Square, not Sony, thus all that matters to THEM is selling games, not the system. Nintendo sold most of the N64 and GCN off their home titles (Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, Super Smash Bros), while GBA and NDS are enjoying good support from third party developers (Megaman for example).

kingkong

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
well, famitsu is saying that ZELDA GAMECUBE plays better as the controls are more correct than on the wii.which would make me even buy a used or new GC just to play it, i am zelda purist i want the purest and best feeling for this game.

that is the advantage for GC. but for the wii the advantage is that new feel of the new controls which adds a new thing to gameplay... but controls a bit incorrect they say

but else both games are the same i guess you can even fish with the GC version.

i dont think it has been answered yet if the NOW wii can be made into a dvd drive or is really one, so for piracy maybe it will only work on the wii that comes 2007 and that has real dvd (and maybe more functions)

atari 2600/nes would have looked a bit weird with VHS Cassette input slot but for a console that uses dvd discs its stupid if it doesnt play them, i dont need a dozen units on my tv dock i like just a few

yatzr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think a lot of people don't realize that for the most part, the wii version and gcn version control exactly the same. You still run around using a joystick. You still Z trigger everything. You still hit A to talk to people or open chests. It doesn't feel much different than OoT or WW. I think a lot of people that haven't played it don't actually understand how it works.

The whole "swing the remote = swinging the sword" is only partly true. Any flick of the wrist is translated the same and is basically just another button. If there were a separate button on the remote called "Wrist Flick", it would perform the same. To do different sword swings, you have to press other things and then do "Wrist Flick". For example, horizontal swing is just "Wrist Flick". Vertical swing is Z + "Wrist Flick". Stab is Z+forward on joystick+"Wrist Flick", etc. So the wrist flick is just another button. Flicking the nunchuk is like another button that does a spin attack. Once I got used to these "buttons", I actually found them to be more conveniant than conventional buttons.

The only real difference is in aiming things. Obviously you just point the remote at the screen. The aiming works very well. It is way easier to aim this way than with a joystick.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Some quotes from the IGN review:

QUOTE said:
...we have nothing but praise for the title's new Wii controls, which enhance the experience - not detract from it.

QUOTE said:
You won't get tired. Our arms weren't aching after more than 50 hours of play time. We weren't out of breath. In contrast, we found ourselves much more immersed in the experience of combat, as simulating a sword swipe is simply more engaging and therein more satisfying than pressing a button.

Furthermore, the advantages of the Wii remote become blindingly clear when Link uses projectile weapons. Whether the hero is armed with the Gale Boomerang, the Slingshot, the Hookshot or a great new staff whose power we won't spoil, targeting with the pointer is so far and away better than using an analog stick that the latter feels archaic and broken by comparison. The Wii remote opens up a level of speed and accuracy never before experienced in a Zelda title and you will within a matter of hours be able to ride Epona through Hyrule Field while delivering fatal bow-and-arrow headshots to ground-based and airborne foes. To the point: this new method of control obliterates the former one and there is no going back.

Wii version, I'm comin'............................................................................
.....................16 days left

kingkong

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
so who to trust, ign or famitsu?
biggrin.gif

i had the feeling famitsu wanted to give the GC version of zelda a better rating than the wii version but then didnt do it because it would have been like a smash into nintendos face (hey nintendo look your gc version of zelda is better than the "wii version"
tongue.gif
)

but if ign says the opposite, i tend to believe them more. i guess i'll just try it out they are opening some wii lounges here in the next days for the launch

thanks yatzr & spacejump

sketch143

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To be honest, i find it more tiring in having to hold a conventional game controllers in comparisson to holding the wii-mote. My arms can be in any position and it doesn't really hinder me from playing the game. To add, i can get past through boring parts of the game, such as going throught vast fields, by only using the nunchuck. Walk, Z-Target, First Person Camera, Block, Shield attack and Spin attack: more than enough to own some grunt monsters.

TheRocK

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No one has mentioned the fact that the Gamecube is dead so buying a Gamecube to play Zelda instead of a Wii doesn't make much sense if you plan on wanting more games in the future.

But you can always get a classic console to play older games and if you don't yet own a gamecube old games are always new games for you.

kingkong

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
a friend always buys consoles like 5 years after launch.
i did it too kinda for GBA i bought it when there was already 1500 games out
biggrin.gif

its great, you got so many 9/10 games to explore...

cant wait for zelda.... (played windwaker too after it was out 2 years already. loved it still =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la