Hacking .z64 same as .rom files

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
.z64 and .v64 are different formats - slightly. You might also encounter .n64.

.v64 files are byteswapped while z64 files are not. .n64 is a slightly older format which is... let's just say different.

.rom isn't an proper n64 rom extension. It most likely signifies that the type of ROM is unknown. There used to be an ap called Tool64 for doing stuff but you're best of hitting the torrent sites in search of a .z64 version.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, they're dumped with different... tools.

Anyways you should be able to find the format you're looking for without any difficulties.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Trolly said:
Yeah, I always wondered why there are so many different rom formats for N64! Interesting topic.

There's just as many rom formats for the SNES. It's as relys says though, it's basically just a different dumping device. If I remember right .V64 comes from the Game Doctor V64, .N64 comes from the CD64 and .Z64 comes from, surprisingly enough, the Z64. I wouldn't mind sourcing a Z64 myself as it uses Zip discs instead of CDs making it alot easier to dump your own carts.

If you've got a mixed set Ucon64 is really good for converting them.

TSPhoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
It handles both .smc and .fig at the very least. What is the difference between the two? Something to do with interleaving as Tales of Phantasia is a .fig and I'm pretty sure thats interleaved.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.SMC is the general format for SNES roms so it doesn't really matter what else SNES9x supports. N64 emulators on the other hand use a verity of different formates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But you said pine apple...