Hardware Your thoughts about Switch backwards compatibility and WiiU games ports

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Breath of the Wild is going to be released on both Wii U and Switch, plus we already know games like Splatoon, Mario Kart, Super Mario Maker, and Smash are being ported*. I'd guess that there is no backwards compatibility (even digital), but best-selling titles (including 3DS) will make the switch™ just to at least build up a nice launch library.

*The reveal trailer showed Zelda, Splatoon, and Mario Kart, and Emily Rodgers has been pretty accurate so far. They'd be silly to not do Smash and Mario Maker - easy money.

Last edited by fiveighteen,

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Splatoon, Mario Kart
Those are no ports, take a better look at the screens.

first-look-at-nintendo-switch00014606still015jpg-fe1d83_765w.jpg

first-look-at-nintendo-switch00031508still025jpg-fe1d87_765w.jpg
In the Mario Kart screenshot you can hold 2 items (and 2 mushrooms no less) while in MK8 you can't even hold an extra shell.
In the Splatoon screenshot you can see different hairstyles in the Inklings.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In the Mario Kart screenshot you can hold 2 items (and 2 mushrooms no less) while in MK8 you can't even hold an extra shell.
But mario kart seems to be the same as mario kart 8 (it seems to be running on the same engine, the models, textures and lighthing looks identical). I guess they are ports but with extra content to justify them.

Reactions: fiveighteen

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When is the last time both of those games received updates? I think Mario Kart was May, and Splatoon September. I'm sure they came up with features/updates since then and, with the Switch release so close and knowledge of ports coming, thought "Why not just keep these as bonuses for those who buy the new console?"

Now if a legit Battle mode was put into MK8, I'm all in.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
When is the last time both of those games received updates? I think Mario Kart was May, and Splatoon September. I'm sure they came up with features/updates since then and, with the Switch release so close and knowledge of ports coming, thought "Why not just keep these as bonuses for those who buy the new console?"

Now if a legit Battle mode was put into MK8, I'm all in.
Is not "just an update" what we are seeing here.

In Mario Kart 8's case is a change in balance, you are limited to only one object at any given time to maintain order and balance on the items, one of the reasons of why Mario Kart Double Dash was chaotic was because you could carry two items at the same time and use them in any order you like.
In Splatoon's case is a change in mechanics because the Nintwitch doesn't have a secondary screen to grasp the whole map and instantly jump to an ally's location or aim the inkstrike.

So I'm calling it, those two games are Mario Kart 9 and Splatoon 2.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is not "just an update" what we are seeing here.

In Mario Kart 8's case is a change in balance, you are limited to only one object at any given time to maintain order and balance on the items, one of the reasons of why Mario Kart Double Dash was chaotic was because you could carry two items at the same time and use them in any order you like.
In Splatoon's case is a change in mechanics because the Nintwitch doesn't have a secondary screen to grasp the whole map and instantly jump to an ally's location or aim the inkstrike.

So I'm calling it, those two games are Mario Kart 9 and Splatoon 2.
running on the same last gen engine? that would be pretty lazy if they end being new entries and not ports

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another announce here:

After yesterday’s console reveal, Nintendo confirms that it has no plans to release any more information on the Switch, including hardware spec, until sometime next year.

I can't find it but they also mentioned about Region free or Region locked to be quiet until sometime next year. So don't trust the rumor about the region free anywhere. There you have it.

Last edited by spotanjo3,
Reactions: DeslotlCL

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
running on the same last gen engine? that would be pretty lazy if they end being new entries and not ports
Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy (and The Legend of Zelda the Wind Waker IIRC) also run on the same engine with slight modifications and nobody has complained about it as well as the myriad of games that use Unreal engine and Criware across multiple platforms.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm pretty upset about lack of backwards compatibility we haven't had a way to play handheld games on a big screen since the gba and gamecube

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy (and The Legend of Zelda the Wind Waker IIRC) also run on the same engine with slight modifications and nobody has complained about it as well as the myriad of games that use Unreal engine and Criware across multiple platforms.
But they used an updated version of that engine on galaxy, what i'm saying is that mario kart switch looks the same as mario kart 8, there isn't even slight changes on the game graphics or environments, even the physics are the same as mario kart 8. That's why i'm calling it lazy if it were a new entry, they aren't using the Switch power to make a better looking game :/

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
But they used an updated version of that engine on galaxy, what i'm saying is that mario kart switch looks the same as mario kart 8, there isn't even slight changes on the game graphics or environments, even on the physics are the same as mario kart 8. That's why i'm calling it lazy if it were a new entry.
How can you be so sure about the physics of the game?? did you play it?? were you one of the guys in the video??
Anyway, that must be a WIP or just for show as the many times they have shown footage of Link looking badass and awesome, so we should take it with a grain of salt.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can you be so sure about the physics of the game?? did you play it?? were you one of the guys in the video??
Anyway, that must be a WIP or just for show as the many times they have shown footage of Link looking badass and awesome, so we should take it with a grain of salt.
Well, i'm just judging what i saw with the amount of time i have put into mario kart 8... But yeah, we should take both footages with a grain if salt.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 👍