Xk3y USB Dongle Suddenly Stopped Working

tjmurdoc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
recently plugged my Xbox 360 (fat) in for the first time in probably 8+ years.

I updated my Xk3y firmware and the Xbox dashboard and everything worked fine (usb key detected properly and games launched).

A couple of days later I took out the usb key, updated the contents and plugged it back in.

Since then, the USB Key no longer shows up (when I “open-close” the dvd drive it no longer shows me the Mixed Media Disk)

I put the original contents of the USB Key back on, tried updating the cfg, tried a different USB drive etc, but nothing helps it to show up)

I also tried testing with a small usb hub that has a light on it. When I plug the hub into the back USB port on the Xbox, it lights up. When I plug the hub into the Xk3y USB dongle, it does not light up.

Finally, I do not own a Xk3y remote, but do own the Xk3y Wifi Dongle. I have not used it in my testing because I don’t believe the USB Key is showing up on the Xbox side, and thus the Wifi dongle wouldn’t be able to load my home Network details.

I’m at a complete loss of what the issue is, and what to try next.

Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem might be, and how to fix it?

tjmurdoc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reseat the ribbon cable going to the USB dongle and dongle itself.

Also try another USB drive just to rule it out.
Thanks for the quick response.

I tried reseating the ribbon cable, but there is no change in behavior.

I also tried a second USB drive, but both USB drives behaved the same.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember right, you have to delete the firmware update file, from the sd card AFTER you install the firmware. I believe the reason is that, with the update file still present, the Xk3y will want to update again and again.

Here is the manual.

https://dl.x-ex.com/i/store/modchips/Xk3yManual.pdf

Check the “Update xk3y” section.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,
Reactions: godreborn

tjmurdoc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I remember right, you have to delete the firmware update file, from the sd card AFTER you install the firmware. I believe the reason is that, with the update file still present, the Xk3y will want to update again and again.

Here is the manual.

<URL>

Check the “Update xk3y” section.
I tried redoing the Firmware Update (As per the update instructions), Waited 10 minutes, powered down the Xbox, removed the firmware files from the USB Drive, and booted up the Xbox again, but there is no change in the behavior.

At this point, it doesn't seem like the Xk3y USB dongle is working/reading the USB Drive at all (Ex. The USB Drive does not light up/flash at all when plugged in).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Ninty can still make money filing false DMCAs.