Gaming Xenoblade Chronicles X

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alas half nice looking combat and wide expanses can be good on paper, however they can also lead to boredom fests like monster hunter and with the first game gaining the nickname of xenoblade yawnicles I am going with lots of caution. Monolith soft have some less than stellar games in their library as well.

To me it looks like YOU do not like the jrpg genre at all.
MH is a FANTASTIC game and so was Xenoblade chronicles.
I do agree that you need to put A LOT OF TIME in these kind of games.
But after you struggled the first 50 + hours you cannot put your controller down, I guarantee it.
Also I side note: these games are almost always hard to get into and hard in general, so that might explain your subjective thoughts about this genre of games.
To give you an idea about how many hours some people played on MH3Ultimate:
2000 hours is no conception ( yes 3 zeros ).
Well, you're a gamer or....

I thought Xenoblade was pretty ass and I played it for the sole purpose of being "fair".

Like I can't think of anything fun about that game.

Oh man you poor, cynical man.
Try to enjoy something new sometimes.
I personally find Nintendo very comfortably co exist along side other game company's.
They always have something different to offer, wich makes owning the AAA games truly something special.
This and next year will be good, just a few titles but VERY good titles.
Starfox, XenobladeX, Zelda, ??? who knows ONLY on WiiU.
Better start saving...
Also playing AAA games on XBOX, And PS.
Damn fine game, but never I once had that gut feeling that stomach turning feeling opposed to a AAA Ninty game..

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Nintendo must be having trouble negotiating limited small manufacturing runs of Amiibos for the game. The factories want to crank out millions of each character but nintindo want to limit it no more than thousand of each one to support their loyal scalper base.
People buying multiple amiibos to then sell within the SRP there's no problem with that, it guarantees that others can potentially get them but then you have dipshittery of the scalpers who acuse me or someone else of being. lol They're just pissed they were late and it was out of stock.

By the way, what the hell is up with the female faces of the characters in Xenoblade X?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
People buying multiple amiibos to then sell within the SRP there's no problem with that, it guarantees that others can potentially get them but then you have dipshittery of the scalpers who acuse me or someone else of being. lol They're just pissed they were late and it was out of stock.

By the way, what the hell is up with the female faces of the characters in Xenoblade X?

Do you mean the doll likeness?
We had kind of a completely OT discussion in this regard here http://gbatemp.net/threads/are-next...-next-gen-hardware.387483/page-2#post-5465429
It looks quite similar to the art style of Xenosaga, so I suppose it is just an artistic decision that is kind of... Foxi4 would say uncanny.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To me it looks like YOU do not like the jrpg genre at all.
MH is a FANTASTIC game and so was Xenoblade chronicles.
I do agree that you need to put A LOT OF TIME in these kind of games.
But after you struggled the first 50 + hours you cannot put your controller down, I guarantee it.
Also I side note: these games are almost always hard to get into and hard in general, so that might explain your subjective thoughts about this genre of games.
To give you an idea about how many hours some people played on MH3Ultimate:
2000 hours is no conception ( yes 3 zeros ).
Well, you're a gamer or....

Leaving aside my issues with the term "genre" I am done with turn based/non active combat games that Japan likes to make. If I never play another final fantasy 1-9 type game (never played 10 properly but probably that as well) then I am OK with that. Slimmest exception for things where I can skip the animations and thus trick myself into thinking it is real time.

"after you struggled the first 50 + hours"
That is not a point in favour of anything. If you can not show me something good (whether it is a taste of the late game or a tour de force of the mechanics I will be experiencing) basically off the bat, though I will take the first hour as well, then you have screwed up hard. For what it is worth I tried monster hunter late stage saves, watching videos, with cheats, trying to plough through it and more besides. Never did it for me and believe me when I say that on paper is the sort of thing I want to play.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The game visually looks like a last-gen title but as long as it runs smoothly and in 720/1080 I'm okay with it because I still think 360 and PS3 did spectacular in the graphics department.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm very conflicted about XC X - on one hand I know it's going to be another generic and predictable JRPG full of old and transparent tropes, on the other, what else is there on the Wii U? That and mechs - mechs make everything better. I still maintain that this game will fail miserably, but I'll give it a chance just because the Wii U in my and my GF's room devolved into a TV remote since the gamepad can be used as one and we can never be arsed to find the actual remote. Perhaps it'll breathe some life into the currently stagnant library.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm very conflicted about XC X - on one hand I know it's going to be another generic and predictable JRPG full of old and transparent tropes, on the other, what else is there on the Wii U? That and mechs - mechs make everything better. I still maintain that this game will fail miserably, but I'll give it a chance just because the Wii U in my and my GF's room devolved into a TV remote since the gamepad can turn it on and we can never be arsed to find the actual remote. Perhaps it'll breathe some life into the currently stagnant library.

Seriously, there is nothing else to come on the Wii U.
That said, if you don't like JRPG and their unavoidable tropes and... geez... I'm too old for this shit...
Let's start again,
if you can't take the creative and beautifully coherent and adult characters and stories that come along JRPGs, you should probably avoid it.
Again, I think the gameplay of this game will be very interesting for ME (as for my tastes)... but I have no faith in its characters and story (I hope they are passable anyway, please no teenager animu/jrpg based tropes)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Seriously, there is nothing else to come on the Wii U.
That said, if you don't like JRPG and their unavoidable tropes and... geez... I'm too old for this shit...
Let's start again,
if you can't take the creative and beautifully coherent and adult characters and stories that come along JRPGs, you should probably avoid it.
Again, I think the gameplay of this game will be very interesting for ME (as for my tastes)... but I have no faith in its characters and story (I hope they are passable anyway, please no teenager animu/jrpg based tropes)
I like good, creative JRPG's with involving plots, interesting characters and good pacing, Xenoblade lost me because the characters were boring, the world had no direction and the pacing was poor. Everyone keeps saying that the game is fun after 40 hours - why isn't it fun now? Poor design. I'll give X a chance though since the only other game to look forward to is Zelda U and that's coming in 2016.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I like
1. good, creative JRPG's with involving plots, interesting characters and good pacing,
2. Xenoblade lost me because the characters were boring, the world had no direction and the pacing was poor.
3. Everyone keeps saying that the game is fun after 40 hours - why isn't it fun now? Poor design. I'll give X a chance though since the only other game to look foforward to is Zelda U and that's coming in 2016.
I am replying because I am not sure if it was understood that my "creative and beautifully whatever" line was just sarcasm.
Regarding the quote that I separated in parts:
1. I haven't seen anything like that since the SNES era (FF6, Chrono Trigger)... perhaps I forgot something good along the way, but JRPGs fall in the tropes once and again (eg. Tales of... series, that I still play, but those stories and characters... yuck)
2. I pretty much agree there.
3. The game should be fun from the start, if not it didn't click for you. I loved the exploration and battle mechanics particularly.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a feeling that the game was held back by the Wii. It gives the illusion of Real-Time, but it's really just another game with an abstracted magical area of combat with ATB, it's the same deal as in Final Fantasy 7+ except you can move around. JRPG's could benefit from getting rid of that abstraction and going the Bethesda way which is a superior way of making turn-based combat seem Real-Time. As for the exploration, it's all fun and dandy as long as you have direction and I didn't get that from Xenoblade. The world seemed empty from the start - scale has to go hand-in-hand with content. A sandbox without sand isn't much fun. It's better than FFXIII's hallway though, to be fair.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game visually looks like a last-gen title but as long as it runs smoothly and in 720/1080 I'm okay with it because I still think 360 and PS3 did spectacular in the graphics department.
Can you think of any games that looked like that with that kind of draw distance? Huge open areas are much more taxing than corridors.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That and mechs - mechs make everything better.

Mechs should make everything better but in practice there are so few good mech games, despite the many attempts, that I can not get excited for them.

Also the rest of that sounds like the good.... for a Wii game is going to become good... for a Wii U game.

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4 you will be disappointed for sure.

The world is huge but looks hella empty. A few mobs here and there and literally every action leads to a two-liner conversation.
Fighting seems a lot slower than what they tried to sell through the trailers, while forcing certain Weapons and Arts on the player during company quests.
You are forced to drag your doll around pretty much 24/7 otherwise you can't cut off some parts of the huge mobs.
Drop System is too random even if you slice them up for good.

All that and the outdated graphics kinda threw me off the hype train. I'm still gonna buy it, but it no longer has that 'yay! xenoblade' feeling.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Can you think of any games that looked like that with that kind of draw distance? Huge open areas are much more taxing than corridors.
I'll perhaps get used to the awkward female faces and games like GTA IV, GTA V and Just Cause 2 as open world didn't really look bad at all on 360/PS3, if I went back to play them I'd really enjoy a lot. Watch Dogs on Wii U is meh because it's a mediocre port.

Might as well just let it be a 2016 Wii U game then. :-/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.