Xeno chip Gamecube mod- can I use wire from an Ethernet cable?

jdsteel7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thread title, lol. Can I use wires harvested from an ethernet cable to solder the chip onto the board? I don't have any wire but this stuff looks like it would work right?

Attachments

• IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32

jdsteel7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I think I may have blown out my laser :( I foolishly was adjusting the pot on my laser, and think I went too low. Now my cube makes a couple of clicking sounds but won't read any discs, even after turning the pot back up. Do you think the laswer is totally shot?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Update: I think I may have blown out my laser :( I foolishly was adjusting the pot on my laser, and think I went too low. Now my cube makes a couple of clicking sounds but won't read any discs, even after turning the pot back up. Do you think the laswer is totally shot?
Unlike the PS2 you cannot burn out the laser immediately as there is always an additional fixed resistor.
Lowering the resistance is not without risks though – and should be done in tiny steps. Clarification: Did you use a multimeter and write down the original value? Blindly adjusting the potentiometer might result in the drive behaving like you described.

jdsteel7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unlike the PS2 you cannot burn out the laser immediately as there is always an additional fixed resistor.
Lowering the resistance is not without risks though – and should be done in tiny steps. Clarification: Did you use a multimeter and write down the original value? Blindly adjusting the potentiometer might result in the drive behaving like you described.

Unfortunately, I did not use a multimeter and just leeroy jenkins'ed it like an idiot. I didn't even think to look for the Xeno light to confirm I got the chip on right... yeah, was just an off day today.
Your message gives me hope though about maybe the laser not being dead. It was working PERFECTLY (on official game disks of course) up until I started messing with the pot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, Last job Ancient went to, he got fired for drinking on the job. +1