Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was putting together my LED set for the Ghost Case on Xbox when I smelled my Power Cable that the XCM Core Cooler v2 burn all to hell. It still powered the Core Cooler Fans, but the DVD Drive got absolutely no power and I plugged in another power cable and the DVD Drive powered up. Is there any way I can just splice the Core Cooler Fan wires to the 12v source on my LED set power cable? i don't want to risk my motherboard being destroyed because I've never soldered.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just get a small soldering iron and pre-tin the wires.
Then solder them to the back of the 360.

You shouldn't solder stuff to the DVD Powercable in the first place.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can saftely connect it to the same line, just extend it at the end and attach a new connector, colour to color. Make sure you're connecting it in a series connection.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can saftely connect it to the same line, just extend it at the end and attach a new connector, colour to color. Make sure you're connecting it in a series connection.
To the DVD Drive Power Cable or the Motherboard?
Don't touch the motherboard if you don't know what you're doing - attach the LED panel at the end of the fans that you already connected. What's more expandable - your fans or your XBox?

JhGo5.png

I realize the drawing is crude, but bare with me - my MSPaint skills are limited.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
He could also splice a USB cable and attach the fans to that.
Then plug it into the back.
That is actually a far safer solution.

I would go a mile further - I'd attach a USB connector at the end of this line and simply plug it in at the front of the console.

The fans would run on ~5v then and make less noise that way.
Plugging it into the front indeed is a good idea since the back port is usually used for the WLAN and Kinect. (if it is a Phat)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Check the USB pin-out online. Normally the red wire is 5V and the black one is ground (-).

EDIT: Now that I think of it, it seems like he's using pre-made sets of fans/LED's that work on a fixed Voltage - these might need to be altered to work properly if they were designed to work at 12V natively.

Photos of your "stuff" would be pretty useful.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Check the USB pin-out online. Normally the red wire is 5V and the black one is ground (-).

So I cut my USB open, find the red wire, and splice the two cables from the fan into that so it runs at 5c?
Pretty much. Just grab any spare USB cable, cut one end off, attach the cables by colour, then at the end of the fan set you should have a bridge, disconnect it and connect the LED panel to it. Should work. If the LED's don't light up then the voltage is insufficient, but the fans should work anyways.

Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

So I cut my USB open, find the red wire, and splice the two cables from the fan into that so it runs at 5c?
Pretty much. Just grab any spare USB cable, cut one end off, attach the cables by colour, then at the end of the fan set you should have a bridge, disconnect it and connect the LED panel to it. Should work. If the LED's don't light up then the voltage is insufficient, but the fans should work anyways.
Okay, thank you very much, I'm going to go try that in a minute if I can find my electrical tape

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro