Hacking xbox live / arcade

steveroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't own a 360, but I'd like to get the scoop on playing live before buying a 360.

with a rgh jtag Latest Dashboard and Dashlaunch Coolrunner Rev C Installed (the 360 I'm interested in) can I go online with the system? how would I be banned if I did go on live? arcade live ban possibilities? does the microphone work with all live games? can I need friends codes to chat like the wii? does every game that'll play online demand xbox live gold - including arcade live?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Generally we say anything beyond DVD modding kills live. You certainly can not go on live with JTAG/RGH hacked boxes (it happens that you can at various points but for about a few hours before you get banned), RGH can be modded with dual nand and you can have one of the dual nand images be stock, which can go on live, and the other hacked but it is pain to keep the software side going and you have to be sensible if you go that route as you could slip up on the hacked side and play something that gives the game away. Around here we seem to take the line that if you do not know exactly what goes with every stage of the RGH process or have a friend that does then do not bother with dual nand.
That said you can do system link games over the internet with a hacked box- you can even host a game with a stock 360 and have your hacked one join it. There are not so many system link games ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_System_Link_games ) compared to xbox live.

XBLA is just a way of installing games that the 360 has and will work fine regardless of your live status. There are no real hacks right now to install full versions (they will appear as corrupt or demo) on a stock/DVD modded console but JTAG/RGH will install them happily all day long.

Microphone.... assuming the dual nand thing yeah it works fine, this is not like the wii at all here and such things usually work over the dash itself. General chat... I believe you can send things cold and though it has a friends system it is generally a lot better than the wii stuff. I tend not to use live or chat with other people so I am not sure of the true specifics.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To cut things short.

If you want to play on Live, don't hack your 360.
If you want XBLA for free etc, then hack it but don't expect any Live connection.

If you want XBLive then yes, all games have cross game voicechat.
You don't have friendcodes but Gamertags (just names)
Yes every game you want to play online multiplayer needs a Gold subscription.

steveroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can playback up xbox games solo and play arcade live solo with a hacked xbox. If I want to play anything live I must buy the game(s). Could I go live with a purchased game/arcade live on a hacked xbox?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
XBLA games need a hardware hacked 360.
Hardware hacked 360's can't go on XBLive.

Well..
You could opt for a Dual NAND system.
But I won't recommend it to you cause you need to know what you're doing.
If you accidentally sign into live with a profile you used with hacked games/homebrew then you're banned.

If you want XBLive then get a ODDE or DVD flash.
You'll be able to play everything that's released on DVD.

A RGH/JTAG can play everything but you can't sign into XBLive ever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show