OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
been using my xk3y jasper happily for many years
now it is acting finicky
more and more it won't auto close the tray to enter mixed mode
unplugging, jiggling USB cables, praying to xk3y gods, re powering - it begins working again

everything is fine once I get a game loaded
but switching games usually makes it stuck reading or open tray
thus repeating the cycle of praying to xk3y false idols - I'm running out of sacrificial offerings :ohnoes:

my suspicion is the flex cable
originally plugged in the back
now it carefully rests atop my console
USB extension cable to the front
so my Kinect plugs in the back

everything set this way untouched for about a year
got a single E64 error when the problem first started happening - maybe I left something unplugged :unsure:

what do you all think the problem is?

I’d be curious to know what the solution is if you fix it.

Solved: So it turns out the problem was that crappy SD card was intermittently failing. I solved the problem by writing the base 1.30 xk3y image to a spare SanDisk card, copying my firmware.bin, xkey.cfg, and updating the uImage and rootfs firmware files like @DinohScene mentioned. I took a couple unnecessary steps along the way, but I'm just so thankful everything worked out. Thanks to everyone for the help!

IMG_20210823_133200bb.jpg

Last edited by simbin,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reflash the firmware to it.
Just dump the firmware files on a FAT32 USB drive and wait 5 minutes after powering on.

I'd also let the console bleed power for an hour or 2.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reflash the firmware to it.
Just dump the firmware files on a FAT32 USB drive and wait 5 minutes after powering on.
Oh neat.. didn't even know that was possible.. always thought you had to manually re flash the firmware to the hidden partition on the SD card. I was planning to re paste my CPU and GPU anyway.

I'd also let the console bleed power for an hour or 2.
always unplug after playing, so my USB drive isn't powered 24/7 ;)

Last edited by simbin,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
PSU of the 360 out of the wall?

Reason why I say wait 5 minutes after booting it is to allow plenty of time for the update to finish.
If you have a remote then this won't be necessary as you can just check the progress on the display panel.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSU of the 360 out of the wall?
yes

Reason why I say wait 5 minutes after booting it is to allow plenty of time for the update to finish.
If you have a remote then this won't be necessary as you can just check the progress on the display panel.
I wonder.. will it even try to update? once it detects I already have the latest firmware flashed

Last edited by simbin,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yup, it just reflashes the same firmware.
If it doesn't work then the only solution would be to inject the Linux partion back to the microSD but it shouldn't be necessary.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, it just reflashes the same firmware.
If it doesn't work then the only solution would be to inject the Linux partion back to the microSD but it shouldn't be necessary.
I'm going to double check the continuity on the flex cable and USB adapter first, since I'm taking it apart for cleaning and re pasting anyway. If everything tests good, then I shouldn't have to worry about bricking anything.

Do you think I should go ahead and replace that generic no name 128MB SD card with something else? I have a spare 1GB SanDisk that's not being used for anything.

I'm also curious.. assuming a re flash fixes the problem.. what do you suppose caused the issue in the first place.. a weak flash chip? I've heard about something similar with early SSDs, that you basically had to "recharge" the weak cells or something, by rewriting the data.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think I got a 1 GB in mine.
Only thing you need is a proper Linux partition and a 1MB partition to keep the DVD key.
Unassign the remaining I suppose? ;p

Could very well be, file corruption can occur when electrons flow away, same with harddrives, a bit losing magnetic polarity etc.
I'm not going into much detail about it haha.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could very well be, file corruption can occur when electrons flow away, same with harddrives, a bit losing magnetic polarity etc.
Definitely strange since it works sometimes. I did try plugging in the rear USB in case my PSU is starting to fail and not getting enough power to the already weak front ports - didn't make a difference. I also thought maybe a bad capacitor on the xk3y or something, but it looks like they used SMDs so probably not. :unsure:

Jkewl999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most prob the turn on the cable coming out. Something like that. Mine was playing up at one point then I just kept it in a place where nothing moves. Seems to be good so far.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got around to pulling everything apart. Cleaned the fans, drive belt, laser, and applied new thermal paste.

Moving onto the xk3y.. I examined the flex ribbon cable and noticed a very small slice around the bend. It didn't seem deep enough to break any pins, but I shortened the cable anyway (probably unnecessary). I then carefully used a razor blade to expose new contact points, and reconnected everything firmly. I also checked the SD card and confirmed the firmware.bin and xk3y.cfg weren't corrupted. I also tried two separate drives: primary is 2.5" ext2, backup is 3.5" self-powered NTFS.

Sadly the problem continues. Sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesn't. Once you get a game loaded, you're good to go. But once you finish and try to load something else, it just gets stuck on Opening.

I thought maybe there could be something wrong with the dongle, since its had drives unplugged and reconnected many times over the years. I carefully pried up the two center data pins a little and cleaned the contacts with alcohol. But even then, a bad USB connection really doesn't make sense because once a game is loaded, it works fine.

I also just tested loading games at random intervals over the span of about an hour, without actually playing the games, and they all loaded successfully. I'm also going to test another power brick. Maybe power fluctuations when booting, and after playing a game and returning to the dash are causing some issue with the xk3y. Not sure what else to try.

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got around to pulling everything apart. Cleaned the fans, drive belt, laser, and applied new thermal paste.

Moving onto the xk3y.. I examined the flex ribbon cable and noticed a very small slice around the bend. It didn't seem deep enough to break any pins, but I shortened the cable anyway (probably unnecessary). I then carefully used a razor blade to expose new contact points, and reconnected everything firmly. I also checked the SD card and confirmed the firmware.bin and xk3y.cfg weren't corrupted. I also tried two separate drives: primary is 2.5" ext2, backup is 3.5" self-powered NTFS.

Sadly the problem continues. Sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesn't. Once you get a game loaded, you're good to go. But once you finish and try to load something else, it just gets stuck on Opening.

I thought maybe there could be something wrong with the dongle, since its had drives unplugged and reconnected many times over the years. I carefully pried up the two center data pins a little and cleaned the contacts with alcohol. But even then, a bad USB connection really doesn't make sense because once a game is loaded, it works fine.

I also just tested loading games at random intervals over the span of about an hour, without actually playing the games, and they all loaded successfully. I'm also going to test another power brick. Maybe power fluctuations when booting, and after playing a game and returning to the dash are causing some issue with the xk3y. Not sure what else to try.
I’d be curious to know what the solution is if you fix it. I could NEVER get mine to work so I just RGH’d in the end.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’d be curious to know what the solution is if you fix it. I could NEVER get mine to work so I just RGH’d in the end.
Mine worked perfectly for years. Until recently, when it started not working randomly. Not sure where I put my spare power brick, but I'll test that theory once I find it.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’d be curious to know what the solution is if you fix it.

Solved: So it turns out the problem was that crappy SD card was intermittently failing. I solved the problem by writing the base 1.30 xk3y image to a spare SanDisk card, copying my firmware.bin, xkey.cfg, and updating the uImage and rootfs firmware files like @DinohScene mentioned. I took a couple unnecessary steps along the way, but I'm just so thankful everything worked out. Thanks to everyone for the help!

IMG_20210823_133200bb.jpg

K1NGDOMGAM3Z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have the base 1.30 firmware with Linux partition.. my sd card is messed up I accidentally formated it and now i can't get it to work at all

I need the image file that contains the base card when u receive it..

Xkey.cfg
Uimage
Rootfs

pleaae anyone help a fellow gamer out

View attachment 273819
[

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/heNQ-22Mqnk?si=B4bTa9MKZkRNCkxU