machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KirbyBoy said:
inb4 modding shops add this.

I would really like to try this, but I suck at hardware hacking XD.
So do I, that's why I stick to soft-mods
tongue.gif

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
This is pretty cool, but they could've announced this two years ago, when I still had a X360 xD

Oh well, cheers to the mates who'll hack their X360 like this! They're true bronies.
grog.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
shakirmoledina said:
so speed is such a strange thing in processing that even a computer/machine can misinterpret a situation

then again, i dont understand how they figure it out to try this... is there a clue or have they searched through the codes? or is it a guess/chance based on some info?

PS - Fast, i had to read yer post at least 4 times to try to understand what u said and hopefully i get u

Speeds are very important to computers and speed related issues pretty much control/trouble everything- ever wondered what the timings on your ram are? (they are just what speed in terms of clock cycles the ram is rated to perform operations at- http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=131 )

A person's hacking method is much like their writing method really- it just has to work for them. As they said though software attacks were not that much use as the thing gets locked down early and hard by a very small, very tight piece of code (the hypervisor) - it is now several revisions old but still a nice overview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxjpmc8ZIxM (I probably should have linked it earlier) so that means coming at it from hardware. As you have to attack it early and the boot process is well understood thanks to all the earlier hacks (they rely on the same concepts) you then have some points to attack not to mention similar things earlier on in the 360 lifetime (we already saw a timing attack way back when). I am in danger of understating the work that presumably went into it so I will end this section by saying this is some proper hacking work done by those that do really know what they are doing.

re: the 25% thing, if I understand the post correctly it is a 25% per attempt thing but it will try as many times as necessary which should lead to a boot fairly early on. A proper/good hook will see it booting in but a second or two but probability means it gets quite likely to happen within about 30 seconds- kind of like rolling a dice will see you say roll a 5 at a probability of 1/6 but rolling a dice 200 times and not getting a 5 is very odd (but still possible).

edit: @Armadillo 1bl is buried as ROM inside the CPU and it loads 2BL so if you can get your own 2BL in there you are sorted. The fuses thing is icing on the cake and I guess yeah it means new hardware revision (and probably quite a few changes to the boot method).

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So FAST, from what you know so far do you think that I could buy a Cygnos Modchip and Dual boot a "official" NAND, and a JTAG'd one? I'm a bit wary on buying one, unless I know it's be compatible with this exploit. Think it'd work? Me being able to switch between a JTAG NAND for USB Launch, Homebrew, ect, but still be able to switch over to a "Legit" NAND in order to play over Xbox Live? Thanks.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FAST6191 said:
edit: @Armadillo 1bl is buried as ROM inside the CPU and it loads 2BL so if you can get your own 2BL in there you are sorted. The fuses thing is icing on the cake and I guess yeah it means new hardware revision (and probably quite a few changes to the boot method).

Nice. Guess there is no need for me to get one asap then as backup for my jtag'd falcon. Probably pick one up when they drop to £99 (the 4gb always seem to be going on sale) or if news of a new hardware revision surfaces. Nice thing with it being unpatchable by software is used/banned jaspers will be a nice cheap alternative and are in plentiful supply.

Wonder if Microsoft will even bother with hardware revisions, this late in the consoles life or just keep them off live and whether hardware revision can fix it fully or whether it'll be more a game of cat and mouse from now on (they move/hide the points to solder to, new ones are found and so on, like with the chips on last gen consoles).

Definitely going to be interesting now , hope it breathes some life back into the homebrew scene on the 360, as it's pretty barren at moment
frown.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would advise against calling this a JTAG hack. Related concepts but different enough to make the name confusing.

Dual nand (do remember you can also just find an XD card and do a dual NAND that way). Given MS are back on the profile banning kick and they can still check your profile for unreleased games and probably do something like check what 360 last signed the profile (they did similar things in the early days for the save game swapping crowd) I would be hesitant to call it safe.
As for cygnos itself some were NAND related but others were aimed more at employing the JTAG hack (acting as an alternate to using the SMC to punt the hack data) so you might wish to read up and see what goes there. Also I have no idea what MS will do down the line so it might work for a little bit and then MS put a stop to it (you can bet things are pretty crazy at MS HQ right now) at which point you have effectively wasted some money. I think my advice will remain if you want to hack in any way beyond the DVD flashing and simple USB stuff (GOTY type DLC installs) you will lose any easy/"safe" access to live.

Edit: @Armadillo yeah the 360 homebrew scene could use a bit of a kickstart and hopefully this will be the thing to do it- some of the emulator proof of concepts were looking pretty nice. It will also be interesting to see what happens on the DVD flashing front. Not sure about what MS will do though

I now am debating whether to do to my Jasper I accidentally updated back when. Price wise it is not too bad but my history with CPLDs is not a shining example of technology working for me. I wonder if any of the old passmes will be useful here.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FAST6191 said:
Edit: @Armadillo yeah the 360 homebrew scene could use a bit of a kickstart and hopefully this will be the thing to do it- some of the emulator proof of concepts were looking pretty nice. It will also be interesting to see what happens on the DVD flashing front. Not sure about what MS will do though

I now am debating whether to do to my Jasper I accidentally updated back when. Price wise it is not too bad but my history with CPLDs is not a shining example of technology working for me. I wonder if any of the old passmes will be useful here.

DVD flashing will stay around I think. This won't be live safe and for some reason this gen people have an obsession with having homebrew/copies + live on the same console, so I think that there will still be a demand for it. Add that to the fact that even though it's unpatchable via software, you'll still need a rebooter or similar to get into a hacked MS dash/kernal which needs to be updated periodically (although drive flashes are getting this way now), I think there will still be a market for them. Same with the drive emulators if they make them live safe (or as safe as can be).

As for MS I reckon first response might be just to remove some of the headers, like when they pulled the lpt port on the 1.6 xbox. Just an attempt to make it as hard as possible to do, rather than nice easy points.

As for the Jasper, I'd probably wait until there is at least a rebooter for it. I'm lazy and wouldn't be bothered to do all that soldering and preparation to get to use xell and nothing retail
frown.gif

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one leap for us one GIANT kick in the nuts for MS lets hope they dont follow like sony and start suing.....also im willing to ship my slim (Latest FW) to one of you to do this

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Gh0sti the N64 emulator has been around for a while- this is just a new hack to launch it.

@Armadillo yeah I was not thinking the end of DVD flashing but more the chance of a software flash, dodging the fun stuff like the mra hack, russian hack and kamikaze unlocks (it was theorised there has to be a developer backdoor and now we control software....) and/or key extraction.

Also others it seems a media player dropped- there were some proof of concept things way back when but this looks to be a more workable one.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blebleman said:
I'm actually surprised that this glitch doesn't seem to exist in the Xenon consoles!
ohmy.gif

I updated mine (yes, it's still alive) past the JTAG point a while ago.

Where did you read it was incompatible with xenon boards?

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
Blebleman said:
I'm actually surprised that this glitch doesn't seem to exist in the Xenon consoles!
ohmy.gif

I updated mine (yes, it's still alive) past the JTAG point a while ago.

Where did you read it was incompatible with xenon boards?

Well, nowhere is it said explicitly "This doesn't work on Xenon", but they enumerate the compatible models and Xenon isn't there
frown.gif

[EDIT] In fact, I just read "Expect Xenon + Falcon support to show up later"

I guess they just didn't have one on hand.
smile.gif

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From what I understand the current hack incorporates the hana (hdmi) chip so all non hdmi (ana chip) consoles will work with this method....yet.
and a rebooter must be written around this hack before FSD and other apps will load

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FAST6191 said:
@Gh0sti the N64 emulator has been around for a while- this is just a new hack to launch it.

@Armadillo yeah I was not thinking the end of DVD flashing but more the chance of a software flash, dodging the fun stuff like the mra hack, russian hack and kamikaze unlocks (it was theorised there has to be a developer backdoor and now we control software....) and/or key extraction.

Also others it seems a media player dropped- there were some proof of concept things way back when but this looks to be a more workable one.

Will have to keep my eye on the media player. Would like to see it eventually get to the point where it's comparable to xbmc on the original box or even a port of xbmc would do me
smile.gif
. Will definitely have to go to a slim or an old jasper though for it though.

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so can MS update 360s to block this hack or is it a pwn for life kindof hack? seems like a difficult console to hack and a lot of hardware needed to do so if anything i would rather have a software hack to my system or usb dongle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?